E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Verizon Treo Bluetooth Compatibility Update

07-16-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
bpbenda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Verizon Treo Bluetooth Compatibility Update

Just received an email from Palm stating that the much anticipated Palm Treo 700p smartphone update v.1.10 for Verizon has just been released and is now available for download. This is the first update for the 700p on Verizon since its launch. Among the items being improved:

Bluetooth(R) wireless technology enhancements:
* Increases list of supported/compatible Bluetooth wireless carkits, including BMW and Toyota/Lexus (Denso).
* Improves overall user experience with supported Bluetooth wireless carkits and headsets (e.g. allow user to manually connect and disconnect to a Bluetooth device).

So, I will download and install this update tonight and report back if it does indeed make the Treo 700p fully compatibility with the BMW's E9x bluetooth interface. For those of you who own a Treo, you know that the phonebook does not transfer in this exchange, only the Favorites or Quick List items.

Here is the link to the Verizon update download page:
http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...e/verizon.html

And the link to the main Treo 700p update selection page:
http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...ate/index.html
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
bpbenda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
The ROM update bricked my phone and Verizon is now having to replace the device. Palm says that they do not think the problem is with the phone and not the updater. I think they don't know what they are talking about. They had this same problem a few weeks ago when they tried to initially roll out this update and it started bricking phones, and it looks like they are still having the same problem. I will update everyone on the bluetooth compatibility to the BMW E9x once I am able to successfully upgrade the device. If you have a Treo 700p and were able to get the upgrade to take, let me know. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
Boondoggler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G01 LCI X3 M40i

Garage List
I upgraded my Verizon 700p to the ROM version today. It was a pain, the phone wouldn't pop up on the USB connection to my PC after the ROM upgrade. After a few hard resets and switching some stuff around I got it to work. Now, here's what it did for my BMW compatibility:

Only the phone favorites, the all of the contacts in the palm address book, sync to the car (Unchanged)
Inbound caller ID now properly displays the incoming number and/or caller ID information. (improved) Before the ROM upgrade, inbound calls always had the wrong number (I think it used to display the last number I had dialed)
Can manually connect and disconnect to the bluetooth in the car (unchanged, that worked before)

Other than that, I didn't see any differences/improvements.
      07-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #4
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Ditch the treo and get the BB 8830. I just went form the 700p to the 755p and then to the PPC 6800 now I just got the BB 8830 and so far its the best smart phone I have used, and I know you can get it on verizon only diffrence is right now GPS is locked out on verizon and unlocked on sprint.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
noktekniq
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

have not tried, and will not try. seemslike it doesn't work for other people still.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
Boondoggler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G01 LCI X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggler View Post
I upgraded my Verizon 700p to the ROM version today. It was a pain, the phone wouldn't pop up on the USB connection to my PC after the ROM upgrade. After a few hard resets and switching some stuff around I got it to work. Now, here's what it did for my BMW compatibility:

Only the phone favorites, the all of the contacts in the palm address book, sync to the car (Unchanged)
Inbound caller ID now properly displays the incoming number and/or caller ID information. (improved) Before the ROM upgrade, inbound calls always had the wrong number (I think it used to display the last number I had dialed)
Can manually connect and disconnect to the bluetooth in the car (unchanged, that worked before)

Other than that, I didn't see any differences/improvements.
Upon further investigation other items that are now working correctly that didn't work before are Top 8, Missed Calls, etc. So it appears all of the functions that are provided by the BMW bluetooth kit are now in fact working correctly. I should also point out that I do not have the Nav option in my car, so my input is based on the radio that comes with the Premium Package, not the I-Drive unit.

And lastly, while a discussion comparing the Treo 700p to the Blackberry 8830 (a device I have a lot of respect for) or other competitive smartphones certainly could have a place on this forum, I would suggest that this thread remain focused on answering the OP question, not digressing into a long debate over what phone is better or worse than they phone the OP owns.
      07-20-2007, 12:54 PM   #7
bpbenda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Thanks for the feedback. Just received replacement phone today and it came pre-installed with the new v.1.10 ROM. Will see how it cooperates later today. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0