E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tints, front legal limit

08-01-2012, 01:48 AM   #1
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Tints, front legal limit

Hi Folks

Ive read that the front side windows must let through 70% of light.

Does anyone know what the standard windows let through? 10%?

I know we have some police on board, and one of them drives a 3er, can you check your front windows for us please
      08-01-2012, 02:13 AM   #2
B005T3D-G
Class Leading Reprobate
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Impreza STi - E92 335i (56)

Garage List
I think it is now illegal to have any aftermarket tints on the front windows. Before I believe it was 70% but you had to be issued with a certificate. Most window tinting firms won't tint your front windows as I believe they can be fined if they're found to be providing this service.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 02:37 AM   #3
P 5UML
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

+1 mate, front tints are not allowed,

if you really wanted too you could risk getting the lightest tint possible on the front but just be aware its not legal
      08-01-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
craneboy
Drag Addict!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

As far as I'm aware you CAN still tint your front side windows providing it's within these guidelines, which are still very live on the following websites -

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...icle/DG_181016

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/publicati...celeaflets.htm

HTH

Andy
      08-01-2012, 03:12 AM   #5
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep
Drives: G01 BMW X3 30d M Sport Plus

Garage List
I bought my BMW 2 months ago from a vw dealer, front windows are tinted, but nowhere near as much as the sun protective glass on the rear, it is a very light tint on the front, I questioned if it was legal and have an email from them stating it is legal, although I am unsure what % tint it is on the front.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
hobo mofo
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2007 325i e90

I was looking into getting 35% all round.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 06:06 AM   #7
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

It is illegal because the front windows are so close to the limit already, that virtually any tint will make them illegal.

Also, I had heard from a tinter, that he tinted the fronts for some bird, at her request, after being told it was illegal. She was then involved in an accident, where she wasn't really to blame, but she got the blame regardless because of her illegal tints, and her insurance didn't pay out. He no longer tints the front windows.

It may look "cool", but it isn't worth it.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B005T3D-G View Post
I think it is now illegal to have any aftermarket tints on the front windows. Before I believe it was 70% but you had to be issued with a certificate. Most window tinting firms won't tint your front windows as I believe they can be fined if they're found to be providing this service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P 5UML View Post
+1 mate, front tints are not allowed,

if you really wanted too you could risk getting the lightest tint possible on the front but just be aware its not legal
I too had heard this and had thought this was the case, im well aware of it as i had to rip mine off my old 888 when the police pulled me... But then i read the below wesbite link, which is my reason for the thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneboy View Post
As far as I'm aware you CAN still tint your front side windows providing it's within these guidelines, which are still very live on the following websites -

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...icle/DG_181016

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/publicati...celeaflets.htm

HTH

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
It is illegal because the front windows are so close to the limit already, that virtually any tint will make them illegal.

Also, I had heard from a tinter, that he tinted the fronts for some bird, at her request, after being told it was illegal. She was then involved in an accident, where she wasn't really to blame, but she got the blame regardless because of her illegal tints, and her insurance didn't pay out. He no longer tints the front windows.

It may look "cool", but it isn't worth it.
I hear what your saying and i have no intention of having anything illegal on the car, i just didnt know what the standard tint was per say.

If its proven to be 10% id get a 20% to go over the top of it to keep me legal,

So if anyone actually knows what the grade is on a standard window it would be good info to share please
      08-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant 3.0TDi Quattro

The front windows carry a 25-27% from factory dependant on glass colour
Off the top of my head, the green glass (in our BMW's is 27%, where as the blue glass (Mercedes) is 25%

You can only legally block 30% of the light - 70% HAS to pass through as a minimum.

Hope it helps

Tom
      08-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Great info Tom, exactly what i was after! Ill not waste my money on getting the fronts done then!

Thanks for everyones input