E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Who else is waiting on updated iPods?

07-16-2007, 08:14 AM   #1
Drew Mazurek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328Xi Coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 328Xi  [0.00]
Who else is waiting on updated iPods?

All the rumor sites act like they are imminent. I just took delivery and it's one option I haven't been able to play with. I don't want to buy the current gen only to have new ones come out a few weeks later.

Who's in the same boat? Maybe I should get a cheap USB drive to hold me over? Any recommendations?
Thanks
      07-16-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
dpeterson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Montego Blue

It's going to be stuck in your glove compartment so who cares. I have a 335i (be here late august / early sept) on order, and I currently have a 3rd gen ipod going to go in it (non color no video), and i use my 80gb ipod video for listening at work or on trips.

If it's your only ipod then it all depends on it's purpose... will you be taking it out every time?

first post

dave
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
The Cleaner
Thats all you need to know.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 , 2016 X5

Ipods get updated regularly, you can always wait for the next great thing or you can buy now and use the product. Never quite understood why sometimes people will wait months or even years for a product to be updated. The idea of a consumer product is to consume it, use it and when your ready for a new one you get it.

There will always be a better/newer product on the way, your car is old news the second it rolls off the assembly line. BMW is already planing the replacement for the E90-93. My advise is don't get yourself wrapped up in the waiting game. If you do then you will be waiting for that perfect window to buy for the rest of your life and that will result in you not having what your want most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
planetscott
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

I guess I don't understand why you'd wait for a new iPod because I don't understand what more Apple can add. I recently got a 5g 80GB iPod, primarily for use in my 335.

All I really need it to do is play music. 80GB is already more than enough space. And to the iPod itself, what are they going to do? MORE capacity? Add a touch-screen iPhone style interface? To me, that seems counter-intuitive, since you would probably lose the tactile interface we're all used to. Add new video playback formats? Doubtful. Maybe they'll finally add wifi support, but I doubt it.

I can understand waiting for something like a new Macbook ... but for an iPod ... meh.
      07-16-2007, 01:48 PM   #5
bpbenda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
5G iPod was last updated less than a year ago. Seems like a very short product cycle for Apple's flagship product. JMHO.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
stewie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

If you're limited to controlling it through 6FL, you're not going to be able to benefit from any of the rumoured improvements on the new ipod anyway (big screen, wifi, etc.) You're just as good getting an older one with as big a hard drive as you need.

And if you don't have more than 8 gigs or so of music, just use a USB drive... much easier than fudging with itunes, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 02:46 PM   #7
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
Agree. Go for the 5g version. If something new comes out that you can take advantage of then sell the 5g on e-bay and buy a new one.

I bought my 5g on e-bay for $80.00 about 3 months ago. I just loaded my tunes and now I leave it in the center console iPod pouch.

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 06:35 PM   #8
rebirth24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon18 View Post
Agree. Go for the 5g version. If something new comes out that you can take advantage of then sell the 5g on e-bay and buy a new one.

I bought my 5g on e-bay for $80.00 about 3 months ago. I just loaded my tunes and now I leave it in the center console iPod pouch.
Does the cabrio center console have a lock on it?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 06:41 PM   #9
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yes the E93 center console locks ANYTIME the doors are locked EVEN IF YOU LOCK them from inside while you are driving. This part is annoying !!!

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 06:48 PM   #10
rebirth24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes the E93 center console locks ANYTIME the doors are locked EVEN IF YOU LOCK them from inside while you are driving. This part is annoying !!!
Ahhh. That is a bit annoying. Wish there was some alternate Key Locked console. Would be nice to be able to lock away ipod, etc. when dealing with Valet or leaving things in the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 06:56 AM   #11
Drew Mazurek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328Xi  [0.00]
Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeterson View Post
It's going to be stuck in your glove compartment so who cares. I have a 335i (be here late august / early sept) on order, and I currently have a 3rd gen ipod going to go in it (non color no video), and i use my 80gb ipod video for listening at work or on trips.
If it's your only ipod then it all depends on it's purpose... will you be taking it out every time?
first post
dave
It won't just be in the glove box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
Ipods get updated regularly, you can always wait for the next great thing or you can buy now and use the product. Never quite understood why sometimes people will wait months or even years for a product to be updated. The idea of a consumer product is to consume it, use it and when your ready for a new one you get it.
There will always be a better/newer product on the way, your car is old news the second it rolls off the assembly line. BMW is already planing the replacement for the E90-93. My advise is don't get yourself wrapped up in the waiting game. If you do then you will be waiting for that perfect window to buy for the rest of your life and that will result in you not having what your want most of the time.
Of course you have to think this way with technology, but I'm talking about waiting a few weeks to see what the rumor sites say is coming, while I do other things. I've had the car for 3 weeks and I just got to pairing the phone and programming the garage opener as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetscott View Post
I guess I don't understand why you'd wait for a new iPod because I don't understand what more Apple can add. I recently got a 5g 80GB iPod, primarily for use in my 335.

All I really need it to do is play music. 80GB is already more than enough space. And to the iPod itself, what are they going to do? MORE capacity? Add a touch-screen iPhone style interface? To me, that seems counter-intuitive, since you would probably lose the tactile interface we're all used to. Add new video playback formats? Doubtful. Maybe they'll finally add wifi support, but I doubt it.

I can understand waiting for something like a new Macbook ... but for an iPod ... meh.
It's not about added functionality for me. If they update the top of the line, then the lower models usually see some added capacity or a lower price, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbenda View Post
5G iPod was last updated less than a year ago. Seems like a very short product cycle for Apple's flagship product. JMHO.
According to some, both the "regular" and Nano lines are way overdue for a refresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
If you're limited to controlling it through 6FL, you're not going to be able to benefit from any of the rumoured improvements on the new ipod anyway (big screen, wifi, etc.) You're just as good getting an older one with as big a hard drive as you need.

And if you don't have more than 8 gigs or so of music, just use a USB drive... much easier than fudging with itunes, etc.
Again, if the lower end models gets bigger and cheaper, and I waited a few weeks for it, then that's all I'm looking for.

Thanks for the USB suggestion, I might try that first.

Quote:

Sounds like a good idea. wow, $80 is pretty good. Although for me it's not about the money, I just hate buying something and then a few weeks/days go by and they update the product. I'm not gonna be paralyzed by it but will try to minimize it with a little bit of research.

Thanks to all.
      07-17-2007, 10:05 PM   #12
Franciebaby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i AW prem,nav,sat,ca

I'm waiting cause the new generation is gonna have the touch screen like the iphone...personally I don't like the click wheel much on the two I have.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 10:53 PM   #13
soph1aa
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
i have the 6gb mini ipod in the silver color. those are like the really oldd ones. and i'm compeletely fine with it and have no battery problem or function problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:29 AM   #14
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have a ipod nano for my car. I pretty much just leave it in my car since thats the only time i use it (with 6fl) so i dont really feel the need to get a new one since it'll be sitting in my car.
      07-18-2007, 12:50 AM   #15
IMJUSS2NASTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I MONTEGO BLUE

I have the Iphone and its not playing in my car. Wtf is going on.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 08:30 AM   #16
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I got lucky on e-Bay. Two folks who up bidded my $80.00 were bidding on different units at the same time. SOmehow just before the endo fht eauction time they were able to recind their bids (seems they won the other that they were bidding on). Since there was no reserve the auction fell back to my last bid which was $80.00. So I got it !!

No complaints - it works gr8. I leave it in the car as I have an Archos AV400 that I use for travelling etc. I actually like it better for general use.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #17
Drew Mazurek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328Xi  [0.00]
Looks like August 7th is the rumored release date of the new models. I think I can wait a few weeks to find out.