E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Looks like I have to sell

07-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
swhoyle
Private
Rep
Drives: 320D

Looks like I have to sell

Ive had my car for two months or so now, I keep telling myself I will get comfy if I just give it time ..... but I can't

The angle of the accelerator gives me a cramp in my ankle and pulls on my hamstring and calf, this sends shooting pains into my butt

The lumbar support in the Sport seat feels like its pushing into my lower back all the time.... in fairness I am really skinny and have little to no natural padding.

The clutch pedal seems to have such a long throw that if I have the seat set for my left leg Im too close to the accelerator, and if I have it set for my right leg I can't fully depress the clutch ....

Im just not getting on with this car, which is such a shame because in every other way I just love it, the power and performance and handling qualities are great but I'm just not comfy...

Every other car I've looked at doesn't seem to compare so Ive no idea what to do now
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Hmmmmm I still say You must be positioning your foot wrong as was stated in another thread.

The E9x and E46, and E36 - I've driven all 3, plus about (and this isn't a huge list to be fair) 10 or so other cars in my time. I've never found another car anything like as nice in pedal configuration as the E9x cars with the hinged accel pedal etc.

HAVE you tried another model to make sure there's nothing funky going on with yours though ?

Dave
      07-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Sounds like you need an auto. Have you tried one?

With regards to the lumber - I ordered it on mine as I could not get on with M Sport seats my last 3 series. I've found the lumber support a waste of time and just digs in my back. My simple solution is a cushion behind my back. Not elegant - but it means the difference between keeping the car and selling it.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
sixpot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

it's probably more due to the offset steering wheel. These 3 series are pretty bad for that.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
swhoyle
Private
Rep

Quote:
MEGA Hmmmmm I still say You must be positioning your foot wrong as was stated in another thread.
My heel is between the brake and accelerator with my toes pushing the gas pedal (if that makes sense)

Quote:
HAVE you tried another model to make sure there's nothing funky going on with yours though ?
Yeah I had an SE for 3 weeks, wasn't getting on with that and thought that the sport seats might help, but they haven't.

Quote:
Sounds like you need an auto. Have you tried one?
No - Unfortunately if that were the solution I wouldn't be able to afford to swap cars now having swapped once already I'd stand to loose even more swapping again.

Quote:
My simple solution is a cushion behind my back. Not elegant - but it means the difference between keeping the car and selling it.
What cushion do you use? An automotive one or a just like a sofa cushion, Ive tried a few things behind my seat but they all affect other parameters, for example with a cushion the side bolsters are in the wrong place.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

The cushion is nothing special. Just a normal sofa cushion.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhoyle View Post

No - Unfortunately if that were the solution I wouldn't be able to afford to swap cars now having swapped once already I'd stand to loose even more swapping again.

I feel your pain. I bought a brand new A4 in March, and swapped it out a couple months ago for the 335d, costing me a fortune. BUT, I just couldn't live with the Audi. After only 3 months I decided that I would just have to take the hit there and then, rather than take the depreciation, albeit over several years, for a car I wasn't happy with.

I am glad I did now though.

Surely if your selling your car anyway, then you will already have come to terms with the fact that your loosing the money. Then simply swap to the auto. This wont help with the seating position though.

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
swhoyle
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
I feel your pain. I bought a brand new A4 in March, and swapped it out a couple months ago for the 335d, costing me a fortune. BUT, I just couldn't live with the Audi. After only 3 months I decided that I would just have to take the hit there and then, rather than take the depreciation, albeit over several years, for a car I wasn't happy with.

I am glad I did now though.

Surely if your selling your car anyway, then you will already have come to terms with the fact that your loosing the money. Then simply swap to the auto. This wont help with the seating position though.
Thanks xs2man, sometimes its nice to know your not the only person that these things happen to.

I have an offer on the table for the car, which I think is about as good as I could expect to get, I don't think its enough to get another 3 series though, not without going older and higher milage.

Never really fancied an auto, Im not going to rule it out but I've always thought that they didn't offer the same driving experience, possibly an incorrect stereotypical viewpoint
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
shrink
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i SE

Although I agree that the throw of the clutch and the angle of the accelerator make it hard to get comfy for the shorter driver, it's not impossible.

Try changing the angle of your chair, I find that angling it slightly back, improves the angle of my foot against the accelerator pedal.

Also the clutch throw doesn't need to be so long, there's a lot of pedal travel beyond the useful point where it disengages the clutch. You can get a modified clutch stop that means you don't need to press the pedal in quite so far for it to stop.

I think with seat angle (and try lowering it down too) along with a clutch stop. You should be able to get comfy.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
shrink
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Clutch...item23206cc579
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
wheelie good
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Weird that you have these problems just out of interest how tall are you?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Give it some more time. Whenever I change cars it always takes me a long time to get comfy in the new one. Its almost like my body has to adapt itself to the car.

I do a lot of miles, maybe spend on average 2-3 hours every day in the car, and I still reckon it takes me 3 months to feel comfy in a new car.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
shrink
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Well dunno bout the OP but I'm 5'9"

But then I'm able to get pretty comfy. I will admit though, I preferred my e46 auto because there was no clutch pedal. So I could get very very comfy.

I am waiting on my clutch stop arriving and hope it means I can move my seat slightly back and get perfectly comfy in my e90
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrink View Post
Dont buy that one - it doesnt look like its for a E9X.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #15
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Perhaps a silly question but have you followed the decent seat adjustment guides?

Regardless of the pedal positioning etc, the seating positions can make a big difference.

Dont sit low, despite it's "sporty" feel it played havoc for me. Sit a few clicks up from the floor. Sit closer to the pedals, stretch out your arms, your wrists should sit on the top of the wheel. Adjust the wheel so your arms aren't angled much. Seat should we upright so you can only fit your fist between the back of your head and the headrest.

Relax the side bolsters as i find when them tight they make me tense and dont use the underside leg support, that gave me issues (pins and needles almost).

Dont use seat tilt either, especially rear tilt, keep your legs straight out, as if you are sitting on a normal chair. Most importantly, relax and dont think every time you get into the car you will have issues. That pain in your leg sounds like your sitting at the wrong angles.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #16
shrink
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Dont buy that one - it doesnt look like its for a E9X.
Yeah my bad. That seller has e90 ones though. So give him a shout

Last edited by shrink; 07-29-2012 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #17
swhoyle
Private
Rep

Thanks for the advice, only a short drive today but all the same issues regardless of seat position etc . Got a long run out tomorrow so will see what happens

Quote:
Perhaps a silly question but have you followed the decent seat adjustment guides?
Yes lots of them, in other cars Ive had the tips would work but because I can't get a good compromise between clutch and gas pedal position the guides don't really help

Quote:
Weird that you have these problems just out of interest how tall are you?
&

Quote:
Well dunno bout the OP but I'm 5'9"

I am waiting on my clutch stop arriving and hope it means I can move my seat slightly back and get perfectly comfy in my e90
5'10" but really skinny Clutch stop on order, worth a shot
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #18
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Owned an E36 then E92 and now an E46. All been a joy to drive.
      07-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #19
shrink
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Trust me... Put clutch stop in. Get your chair a bit further back and bring the steering wheel to you.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #20
swhoyle
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrink View Post
Trust me... Put clutch stop in. Get your chair a bit further back and bring the steering wheel to you.
Thanks Shrink, Thats exactly what Ive just done, its turned up today, only used the stop + 1 shim so that there is some space between stop point and biting point.

I like it, even if its not the answer, its nice, gives the pedal a soft touch feel when fully depressed and makes the throw much better.

Been going to the Chiropractor for the last couple of weeks to see if its "Just Me" like so many people keep saying.

I can sit for longer but I wouldn't call it comfy, but I desperately don't want to sell, nothing else eve test driven comes close
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #21
grappler26
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d Msport black

almost me too....

i can really relate to this one. was involved in a very serious smash 20 yrs.

ago, shattering both my ankles. had to drive an auto ever since. right foot

cannot cope with a long travel throttle, nor a heavy one. previous cars have

been 911`s, no problem as soft peddles. within 1 week of getting thunderbird 3, my 335i, i knew i had trouble. peddle angled under bulk head made it a difficult stretch, causing pain. loved it too much to get rid, but thought that only option. tried a TTS, peddle further foreward but much heavier, so no good.(rubbish engine but that`s another story...)went to see a disabled car modifier to see if he could extend pedle, something you may wish to consider, as they can help quite a bit.i didn`t use them however, as after about a year (!) i got used to it, coupled with the fact the 335 has fantastic throttle response.so, maybe try a more powerful variant=less ankle action.and definately consider an auto. very best of luck!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #22
swhoyle
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grappler26 View Post
i can really relate to this one. was involved in a very serious smash 20 yrs.

ago, shattering both my ankles. had to drive an auto ever since. right foot

cannot cope with a long travel throttle, nor a heavy one. previous cars have

been 911`s, no problem as soft peddles. within 1 week of getting thunderbird 3, my 335i, i knew i had trouble. peddle angled under bulk head made it a difficult stretch, causing pain. loved it too much to get rid, but thought that only option. tried a TTS, peddle further foreward but much heavier, so no good.(rubbish engine but that`s another story...)went to see a disabled car modifier to see if he could extend pedle, something you may wish to consider, as they can help quite a bit.i didn`t use them however, as after about a year (!) i got used to it, coupled with the fact the 335 has fantastic throttle response.so, maybe try a more powerful variant=less ankle action.and definately consider an auto. very best of luck!!!
Thank you Grappler26, I still don't know if I can keep the car, the pedal potion is just one issue, but what I can say is that after only a few mins of driving, I think that the clutch stop is good, helpful modification, If you still have Thunderbird 3 (which I assume you do) for £6, you will get a slightly shortened clutch throw and because its made of a softer rubber it has a soft touch feel when you hit maximum travel
Appreciate 0