E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335d gearbox....

07-28-2012, 04:51 AM   #1
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant 3.0TDi Quattro

335d gearbox....

....well, annoyling my gearbox requires replacing as it occasionally slips in 4th, throws a fault code up
Having spoken to a couple of places it's cheaper to replace then rebuild.

My new box arrived today, booked in at my mates to swap it hopefully next week....but, I have a few questions :

Once swapped, will it need coding ?
Will it need calibrating ?
Is the gearbox ECU inside the box or mounted on my car somewhere ? (I ask as I have the latest software currently)

In an ideal world where something could actually go easily for me I'd like to be told its a straight out and in swap......but I have a sneaky suspicion that this won't be the case here haha

Thanks in advance

Tom
      08-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNormal View Post
....well, annoyling my gearbox requires replacing as it occasionally slips in 4th, throws a fault code up
Having spoken to a couple of places it's cheaper to replace then rebuild.

My new box arrived today, booked in at my mates to swap it hopefully next week....but, I have a few questions :

Once swapped, will it need coding ?
Will it need calibrating ?
Is the gearbox ECU inside the box or mounted on my car somewhere ? (I ask as I have the latest software currently)

In an ideal world where something could actually go easily for me I'd like to be told its a straight out and in swap......but I have a sneaky suspicion that this won't be the case here haha

Thanks in advance

Tom
I've got a good few questions for you ! As this is a very relevant topic to me!

Where did you get your box from ?

Did you manage to get it in ok ? Reason I ask is there are 5 different boxes for the 35d . I see that there maybe some major issues with some types especially the early cars as they had a different management system protocol to later cars. K-Line vs CANBUS

What year is your car ?
What's the part number of the box that came out ?
What's the part number of the box going in?

All this info will help to paint a picture .. cheers
Appreciate 0