E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Art Cars in London

07-27-2012, 03:03 AM   #1
hey joe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 330d

Art Cars in London

Sixteen (count them !!) Art Cars on display in an NCP Car Park in Shoreditch hosted by the ICA as part of the London 2012 Festival.

Sorry, can't do llnks or post photos but there's info on th'internet and lots of pics on the 'designboom' blog.

Oh, and it's all FREE !! Including a nice glossy mag telling the stories behind the cars (usual cover price e5.00), a 2012 Festival Guide and a poster.

The exhibition is over 6 floors of the mult-storey with 2 or 3 cars per floor. No barriers, just a tape stuck to the floor a metre or so from the cars you are asked not to cross. When I went on Wednesday afternoon there were about 20 other people there.

Highlights for me were Alexander Calder's 635csl (the first Art Car), Frank Stella's 'graph paper' 635csl (always loved the Batmobiles !!), Roy Lichtenstein's 320 gp5 car (pictures don't do it justice) and of course the simply stunning Jeff Koons 2010 M3 GT2 car (which looks like it's doing 200mph even sat in a car park !!).

Also interested to see Ken Done's M3 'cos I didn't know he'd done one but seen his work all around Sydney when we lived there. His car is displayed next to Aborigine artist Michael Jagamara Nelson's "Dream Car" M3 which is an interesting contrast of Aussie styles.

Disappointing for me was Andy Warhol's M1. Allegedly BMW flew him to Munich from the US, he then spent just 28 minutes daubing the car with what looks like ordinary household gloss using an oversize brush and his hands. And in my opinion that's what it looks like. But maybe I'm missing something ....

Anyway, if you're near London, get there. It's at Great Eastern St NCP, 35-45 Gt Eastern St, Shoreditch, EC2A 3ER. Open 1200-1900 till August 4th. Nearest tube Old Street, Northern Line about 10 mins walk.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
gchild
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: honda

Saw some in the paper. Look awful, but worth seeing just for the cars themselves
Appreciate 0