E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Best way to carry bikes on E90

07-25-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Best way to carry bikes on E90

Thinking of taking the push bikes along with on holiday soonish. Have managed to carry my bike with wheels off/saddle off/handlebars twisted in the boot of the E90 (no folding seats), but no way is it going to manage 2 bikes....

Given I'm planning on keeping the car for a long time don't mind spending some money on some roof bars (so the bikes will live on the roof) or tow bar thingy to allow me to stick on some bike carriers.

Have never used anything like them before, which would be better/more stable? I have a 335i so not sure if the extra exhaust will have an impact on what tow bars can be fitted?? We're likely to start a family soon too, so in future might end up needing to fit both anyways
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

There's loads of options.

Although we've got a tourer, we had no tow bar, so went for roof bars and and have two thule pro ride 591 bike carriers along side a roof box.

Its only the connecting bits for the bars that differ to the E90. You just have to watch the speed else the bikes can get a wobble on as the wind increases. 70/80 tops really, less in cross winds. Watch out for multi storey car parks, or even beach car park height barriers!!!

A tow bar mounted bike rack would be much more stable and easy to take on/off than a roof mount, but you are right, a lot of actual tow bars are 'not for 335i/d'. And a tow bar will cost a bit to start with if you don't have one already.

I couldn't justify the outlay for a towbar (which would cost more than all the roof racks / boxes / bikes racks put together) as we only take the bikes twice a year or so, so we went for all roof mounted.

But for a quality solution, I'd look at the tow bar mount for push bikes, and then roof bars for a roof box as the family expands....

With roof bars, go for decent aero shaped bars (like a plane wing) that don't whistle and drive you nuts!

We got all our stuff and great advice / buying guides from http://www.roofbox.co.uk/ great shop.

Last edited by doughboy; 07-25-2012 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
jrah
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340d

I've just bought a saris bones cycle carrier and it's fantastic, takes no more than 2 minutes to fit to the car, goes on the back of me E92 no problem
      07-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

The towbar option is the best, but most expensive!
Don't be "fooled" by the "not for 335" bit. The towbar will fit fine, it's just your exhausts that will not be supported!! (the exhaust mounts are welded to the bumper crossbar that is removed to fit the towbar. The Westfalia bar, which IMHO is the best is absolutely invisible with the ball removed. The "extra" kit for the 335 is available, but costs into 3 figures! Any competent mechanic will be able to fabricate suitable brackets to support the exhausts - I managed it with offcuts from my garage.

The simplest and cheapest way is a strap-on carrier. The least stable and you may still need towbar electrics to be legal.

Roof bars are the compromise - secure, reasonably stable, non-damaging and not as expensive. Downside is the pain in putting (often muddy) bikes on top of your car - don't drop one!!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Just bought a Thule 790 two bike tow bar bike carrier, will post pics up later.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 02:50 AM   #6
poggy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 318i SE

Can you get rear carriers that don't obscure the lights and number plate which is illegal. Saw some divvy the other day with both obscured and pulled out in front of me not being able to see his indicators. Alternatively anyone know how easy to fit electrics for a trailer board?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #7
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poggy View Post
Can you get rear carriers that don't obscure the lights and number plate which is illegal. Saw some divvy the other day with both obscured and pulled out in front of me not being able to see his indicators. Alternatively anyone know how easy to fit electrics for a trailer board?
Quick and easy.
Get a "7-way Relay" for trailer lighting and wire that into your lights/battery.
Make a bracket for the 7 pin socket behind/under the bumper (screw it to the bumper iron). Then buy a trailer/bike board and use bungee cords to secure on the bike(s). Take a couple of hours to do - you may have to take the rear bumper off to do a proper job. Cost about 25 quid. I do know someone who has done this, but keeps the "trailer" socket in the boot, then connects his board and closes the boot lid on the cable. He doesn't drive a BMW!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #8
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Thule 790 carrier for two bikes, attaches to the towball, bargain at £49 delivered. Bikes are safe and secure and don't touch the car.

Appreciate 0