E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bmw problems

07-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
greggS
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, E46 325ci

Bmw problems

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-repairs.html

This can't be totally accurate, can it? Has anyone here had more than the wear and tear problems with their car?
      07-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

You want to know why?

First owners purchase the cars, use the maintenance package. Get limited to set amount of "maintenance visits" per year, then sell the car when the car's maintenance package expires.

Car was never maintained beyond very basic minimalistic maintenance in the first place, so now 2nd owner has to get all the problems that have built up.

All to get "0 cost of maintenance in the first 4 years of ownership"
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Wouldn't apply here. The OP is from London and British owners do not get free maintenance for four years. We pay for our maintenance so we get what we pay for - if you know what I mean.

And since full BMW service history would be a requirement for anyone buying secondhand, in theory, the car hasn't been short shifted in the maintenance stakes. Also, whilst your warranty is four years or fifty thousand miles, ours is three years and unlimited mileage so during the warranty period, even a high miler has had defects attended to.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

One of the comments made me
"I do believe that many BMW and Audi drivers suffer from what is called "An image complex" This generally involves unnecessary overspeeding and overtaking."
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Does thay mean each time it has a problem it will be off the road for 3.5 days on average?

It doesn't actually seem to be related to the amount of faults.

What if the E93 only had 1 fault and spent 3.5 days in the garage, would that really be worse than a car going in and out all the time for minor niggles?

Not saying E9x cars are ultra reliable but that report doesn't seem to have any substance to it.

It is just a little fact reported to make it sound like a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
It's Daily Wail - sensationalised and exaggerated
      07-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
shrink
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i SE

sounds like nonsense to me... and lets be clear that they are talking about the cabrio as well. Which is by its very nature a lot more problematic. My mates older 645i convertible was always having issues with its roof.

My E90 on the other hand is 7 years old, has been maintained superbly and hasnt got a single thing wrong with it. Not one slightly niggling issue that I've found since buying it 3-4 weeks ago.

SO think this is a case of the Daily Mail just being sensationalist
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
"I do believe that many BMW and Audi drivers suffer from what is called "An image complex" This generally involves unnecessary overspeeding and overtaking."
No offence to anybody, but that is true.

Well article mentioned E92 coupe. Just watch how many E92 owner will be jumping here to defend.

I have driven Japanese, American and German cars. When it comes to driving, nothing is better than German cars and yes they are premium cars, and gives you satisfaction of success in your life.

However when it comes to reliability, Japanese cars are RELATIVELY trouble free, however, unfortunately very few people admire them in UK.
      07-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
ALPANDY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
Wouldn't apply here. The OP is from London and British owners do not get free maintenance for four years. We pay for our maintenance so we get what we pay for - if you know what I mean.

And since full BMW service history would be a requirement for anyone buying secondhand, in theory, the car hasn't been short shifted in the maintenance stakes. Also, whilst your warranty is four years or fifty thousand miles, ours is three years and unlimited mileage so during the warranty period, even a high miler has had defects attended to.
Whilst I have never had a problem with any one of my BMW's over the years, I do think that anyone that reckons a car will be sound because it has FBMWSH is a dreamer. I personally think modern servicing is a total rip off. It seems to me all they do is change filters!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
In terms of reliability...I've always said...NEVER had an issue with my peugeot 406....yes, it didn't handle or had the power of my 335i....

But fcuk me, those BMW have issues!... From cracking wheels, leaking roofs, DPF or that diesel thing that 335D owners talk about and the WELL KNOW ISSUES OF N54 engines!....

Just look at the threads in the tech section! ....On the Honda forum, most threads are about modding and induction kits etc....

Look at how many people are asking for advice on resolving tech issues on BMW forums!...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post

He's the one with the complex...

I can tell he's a fcukin useless middle lane moron...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

whops was meant to use symbol
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 01:36 AM   #13
greggS
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post

Well article mentioned E92 coupe. Just watch how many E92 owner will be jumping here to defend.

I have driven Japanese, American and German cars. When it comes to driving, nothing is better than German cars and yes they are premium cars, and gives you satisfaction of success in your life.

However when it comes to reliability, Japanese cars are RELATIVELY trouble free, however, unfortunately very few people admire them in UK.

+1.
      07-23-2012, 04:58 AM   #14
dape90
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F20 118i M-Sport

I read the paper at the weekend and to be honest if the troubles I have had with my e90 are anything to go on then I am not surprised.

However, if you consider that some dealers do the absolute minimum when cars go for maintenance then there has to be a knock on affect somewhere in the cars life!

Right now the handbrake on my car keeps sticking and every now and then I loss boost at 3000 rpm. However, when it goes into Sytner on Monday next week I am confident in them fixing the problem. Like they did with the high pressure fuel pump replacement after another fault with my car.
Where I am ultimately going with this is that had if used my original dealership (who shall remain nameless) where the car came from I would imagine they would say "can't find anything wrong" in a condescending and pathetic looking way!
It's dealerships that make the difference. That my view, happy to debate this.

D
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 05:36 AM   #15
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

I have to agree with what most have said here, for driving enjoyment the Beemer is pretty hard to beat but I haven't been too impressed with the reliability. To be fair to BMW though its ultimately the dire service from my local main dealer that's really let the marque down.
It's a shame as I like the car but will likely be my last due to that fact.
      07-23-2012, 06:11 AM   #16
dape90
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F20 118i M-Sport

I am in total agreement chedixon. It is unlikely that I will get another BMW after this one, with the reliability issues and the increadably bad dealership experience I had in the first year of ownership, I just can't justify another one. And this is despite all the great work Sytner have done with my car. I did have an eye on a 1M for a bit.

The other thing that gets me is that BMW GB should be reading the feedback sent to them about the dealer network. I have complain a few times to BMW about the poor service I had from my nameless dealer. However, they never approach me for more info and I still hear about how bad they are from different people on my street with BMW's. I have even heard that the sales team in this dealership struggle with their own service team, I mean come on!!!!!
Anyway, between now and next year I will stick with Sytner but wether I stick with BMW is a totally different thing.

D

Ps. Just to make it perfectly clear The nameless dealer is part of a very large north London group! And nothing to do with the Sytner network in any way! I can only heap praise on Styner, let's hope it stays that way!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #17
greggS
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

I have another take on this, from personal experience over the years with both my BMWs and my son's, I have come to the realization that higher mileage BMWs
tend to give less trouble as most of the initial issues would have been resolved by the first owners.By higher mileage I mean from 40k above but this is my personal opinion so might just be my luck.

Now having said all that after a while all the bushes, the suspension, wishbones and a few other items would need changing as car gets older

Last edited by greggS; 07-23-2012 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #18
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

This is the same paper that is currently sporting these other great snippets or informative journalism on current world affairs:

-"Going for gold... in kissing! Gemma Collins and Arg get amorous at TOWIE's Olympic-themed party"

-"Too tired for love! Exhausted Little Mix would rather catch up on sleep than snuggle up to their pop star boyfriends"

-"Bristol Palin LAUGHS as four-year-old son Tripp uses vile homophobic slur to aunt Willow"

I'd take it with a fistful of salt.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 12:23 AM   #19
NoelWatson
Private
Rep
Drives: Rubbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post

I drive Japanese (NSX), french (R26.R) and German (330i) cars and the former are far more reliabile and better to drive than the BMW. My 330i has probably spent at least 3.5 days a year off the road since new with HPFP, injectors, coil packs etc.
Maybe a few years ago the German cars were premium, but I don't think that is true today.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #20
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
SOP is for first buyers to buy the 5-year, 60,000 mile maintenance package when you buy the car. From memory this costs £300 and includes all your servicing. Warranty is a separate, that is still only 3 years.

If you get the service package, the work done on the car is on the same schedule (well, condition based) as if you didn't buy the package and just coughed up for it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #21
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Another thing: I took the car to a BMW in Germany for some work:

1. If you have the maintenance package, you can use it outside the UK. The German dealer knew about it.

2. The German dealer was about 20000000000% better than the UK dealer. They exuded ruthless German efficiency and competence as opposed to erring on the side of gormlessness and the business model of Arfur Daley in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #22
DarkAnt335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 C2S & '118D

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Havent read the article but my e92 has been in about 5-6 times since January and spends about 2 days on average @ BMW. The 1 series has been in twice and both times it was in for less than a day. My brothers e90 330 has been in once in the 2 months he has owned it for 2 days. All relatively low milage cars.

My wife had a Mini from new, which went in about 5 times in the 4 years of ownership, which totalled about 7 days, including a replacement auto gearbox. A z4 which went in twice, we only had it for 6 months. My friends e92 M3 has been in more times than i can count including having a replacement engine.

Before this i had 2 Mazdas, a Ford and a Honda which never had any issues in longer periods of ownership.

From personal experience modern BMW's are SHITE for reliability and repair times. The F* series may be better but who knows.

I LOVE my car but i would not own it out of warranty purely because i don't trust its reliability. Which isn't what you would expect from a relatively high value car..

My dads e46 & e39 on the other hand have never had an issue.
Appreciate 0