Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Flat...or not ?!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #1
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Flat...or not ?!

About a year ago I got all of my tires replaced and soon after driving off the dealeship, the little red "!" popped up indicating tire problem. I stopped, re-initialized the computer and thing disappeared...

Well, today, driving back from work, it popped up again. I drove <60 mph back home and when I got home, I examined the tires and they all seemd to be OK. I, again, re-initialized the computer and "!" disappeared.

Questions: How do you know if you really have a flat (slow leak, which could be my case today) or it is only the computer freaking out?
Should I go to the dealer (not really close to my home) or ignore it and wait to see if it again pops up?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
Scorviss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2, G80 on order

I always keep a tire pressure gauge in my car, just check the tires and see if one has noticeably lower pressure than the others.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 10:11 PM   #3
Autobot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F22 M235 6MT

I had this last Sat driving into town. The ! came on and I got a bit worried since I did get rid of my runflats as soon as I got home from the dealer at like 24 miles. But turned out I caught a small nail, luckily only had a VERY small leak and was able to wait until the next morning until I could plug it.

Sorry for the longness of that just saying that sometimes I can attest to the fact that its not just freaking out. Just check with a hand held tire pressure gauge and you will be alright
      07-12-2007, 10:17 PM   #4
turbotko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

How do you know if you have a flat? Well, you get the little gauge doohicky out and check the pressures. That should tell you, sure enough.

Really though, it can sometimes be impossible to tell if a runflat is even completely out of air, something that could be very dangerous or damaging if you ran it at high speeds or long distances.

If you have the older wheel speed sensor system, that "computer" doesn't freak out. If the light comes on, and the system was properly initialized, you have a tire losing pressure for sure. I have seen a few of the newer systems that directly monitor tire pressure to turn the light on when there's a problem with the system and you may not necessarily have a flat.

Bottom line, familiarize yourself with how the system you have works, THEN TRUST IT!!
      07-12-2007, 11:37 PM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Not always true. I have the older wheel speed sensor. I had started out of town on a trip and got about 10 miles into the trip when BAM! there's that light. I got off at the next exit, pulled into a tire store that happened to be there. Checked all four tires with a good quality guage, then the tire salesman came out and offered to do teh same for free. Nope, all were equal. He hadn't seen/done the reinitialize, so watched over my shoulder as I did it. That was at least 8 months ago, the thing hasn't gone off again.
So, yes, SOMETIMES they freak out. I keep that guage in teh glove box except when I'm actually testing teh pressures.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 09:23 AM   #6
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Looks like it was the computer...
I would think they made those more reliable, otherwise the RFT headache becomes even worse...

Thanks for your suggestions.
Appreciate 0