BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2013 S4 - a few pics

07-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
2013 S4 - a few pics

I was walking my dog this afternoon and I saw a brand new S4 parked around the block from me. Only have a few phone pics, but the car looked awesome in person. Much more aggressive, imo, than the previous version.

2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Definitely an improvement. Cool car.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
Definitely an improvement. Cool car.
Yup. The front is much more agressive. Car looked really good!
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Rats, I was hoping for a review, this is a front runner for my next car.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
Rats, I was hoping for a review, this is a front runner for my next car.
sorry. I'll definitely say it looks better than the F30 haha.

If I meet the owner while I'm walking, I'll definitely ask how they like the car!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
family friend just got one... jealouss

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 12:52 AM   #7
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
thanks for sharing!! I didn't know they were delivering them already... a top contender for the replacement car, unless the RS4 ever meets our shores :-)

...looking at the pics again, wonder if that S4 came from the dealership that was in the billboard war with Santa Monica BMW?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

A guy I work with just traded his old one in for the new one. They look nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 02:47 AM   #9
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3RI35 View Post

...looking at the pics again, wonder if that S4 came from the dealership that was in the billboard war with Santa Monica BMW?
Probably, haha

Definitely a nice looking car. Similar to the updated S5.

I wonder how they compare to their BMW counterparts now. I assume similar performance. It's the driver, not the car anyways....
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #10
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Nice. I love the new facelift but the issue I have with the A4 is size. I think the B7 was perfect proportions. B8 looks huge especially with the stretched roofline.
      07-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Probably, haha

Definitely a nice looking car. Similar to the updated S5.

I wonder how they compare to their BMW counterparts now. I assume similar performance. It's the driver, not the car anyways....
I went for a very short test drive. I like the power delivery of the sc engine better then the 335i, it feels like a bigger engine and it doesn't run out of breath higher in the rev range, but it seems like redline comes very quickly and it time to shift.

The flappy paddle box in the S4 is tuned the best of any that I have driven, they typically annoy me at low speed.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #12
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

I like what they did with the rear end, finally looks like it's got a bit of haunches. Essential for a sporty saloon IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I went for a very short test drive. I like the power delivery of the sc engine better then the 335i, it feels like a bigger engine and it doesn't run out of breath higher in the rev range, but it seems like redline comes very quickly and it time to shift.

The flappy paddle box in the S4 is tuned the best of any that I have driven, they typically annoy me at low speed.
How about vs. the 335is though? With the DCT gear box and the added power and torque? I would assume that BMWs 'is' and ppk lines are more of a match to Audi's S line than a normal 335i.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #14
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
How about vs. the 335is though? With the DCT gear box and the added power and torque? I would assume that BMWs 'is' and ppk lines are more of a match to Audi's S line than a normal 335i.
I have not driven an is, I had a n54 335i auto. I have driven an M3 dct, and a 135 dct, and I also had an m5 smg. (for the record I have also driven a panamera turbo pdk).

All if the flappy paddle boxes except for the Audi seem to be waiting for you to touch the accelerator before they react. There is a moment where it seems like the car doesn't know what it is supposed to do. I find this particularly annoying around town, in traffic, and while parking. In my test drive the Audi began to engage the clutch as I let off the brake (feels like a traditional auto in this sense) making low speed maneuvers much smoother, and making the car feel like it knows what its job is.

I can't comment on the is power delivery. I would never call the n54 laggy, but mine was jerky off idle (apply the gas pedal, split second of nothing then a jerk, and you are off). The stock n54 does run out of breath up top (maybe the Audi doesn't feel like it does because of a lower redline), you can always just shift so it doesn't really matter, just an observation.

I agree the is is a better match for the s4 on paper, but this time around I want awd and 4 doors.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #15
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

The front of that thing looks like an absolute mess. B7 was the last generation of the R/S4 IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #16
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
I would never call the n54 laggy, but mine was jerky off idle (apply the gas pedal, split second of nothing then a jerk, and you are off).
Yeah that's the most annoying thing ever. Wasn't limited to just starting from idle either, it would do that while in motion as well. If the car isn't in DS, I get that unbelievably long lag. Makes for some pretty interesting moments at times. Oh shit type moments. Other than that, Step actually isn't that bad for a torque converter auto.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Yeah that's the most annoying thing ever. Wasn't limited to just starting from idle either, it would do that while in motion as well. If the car isn't in DS, I get that unbelievably long lag. Makes for some pretty interesting moments at times. Oh shit type moments. Other than that, Step actually isn't that bad for a torque converter auto.
exactly, most pronounced off idle, but you could find it at almost any speed
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #18
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Not meaning to offend anyone but that S4 looks way too 'slab-sided' for my liking. The front apron juts out and same with the back. The car might be lovely to drive but it just looks dull... devoid of any design flourishes.

The other problem I have with Audi is that they completely lost the plot when it came to signature lighting. BMW really nailed it with the 'rings' and Audi's response has been to pretty much try every shape in the book.

Each to their own though - my other half reckons her RX looks nicer than the F30

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #19
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
The front of that thing looks like an absolute mess.
I agree with you. The front grill is too large and the there are too many competing horizontal lines in the front of the car. Its over designed.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #20
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have not driven an is, I had a n54 335i auto. I have driven an M3 dct, and a 135 dct, and I also had an m5 smg. (for the record I have also driven a panamera turbo pdk).

All if the flappy paddle boxes except for the Audi seem to be waiting for you to touch the accelerator before they react. There is a moment where it seems like the car doesn't know what it is supposed to do. I find this particularly annoying around town, in traffic, and while parking. In my test drive the Audi began to engage the clutch as I let off the brake (feels like a traditional auto in this sense) making low speed maneuvers much smoother, and making the car feel like it knows what its job is.

I can't comment on the is power delivery. I would never call the n54 laggy, but mine was jerky off idle (apply the gas pedal, split second of nothing then a jerk, and you are off). The stock n54 does run out of breath up top (maybe the Audi doesn't feel like it does because of a lower redline), you can always just shift so it doesn't really matter, just an observation.

I agree the is is a better match for the s4 on paper, but this time around I want awd and 4 doors.
thanks for that info. very intersting.

I'm coming from a G37 sedan, naturally aspirated and very little torque (especially compared to the G's horsepower numbers). I definitely know what lag is like. downshifts could take up to 2 seconds at times... i know of those 'oh shit' moments haha @ragingclue.

With the DCT, I barely ever get lag. Sometimes the car will jerk a bit, but I usually find all the power I need in any gear.

Of course, I've never driven an Audi S line car, so I can't personally compare it.

And I personally like hte new lights. BMW's angel eyes are great, and I think Audi should have stuck with the normal LEDs. I actually like the new Mercedes lighting the best in some cases. The CLS lights are so nice!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #21
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post

The other problem I have with Audi is that they completely lost the plot when it came to signature lighting. BMW really nailed it with the 'rings' and Audi's response has been to pretty much try every shape in the book.

Each to their own though - my other half reckons her RX looks nicer than the F30
Audis lighting is a bit silly, and it looks stupid when one light turns off so you can use a turn signal.

I'm not loving the f30 it will grow on me, but I don't like the interior, it's asymmetrical, the screen looks like an afterthought even though it's in every car, an the materials used on the door panel feel like cheap rough plastic
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #22
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
That front overhand is just ridiculous! Looks like shit.
Appreciate 0