F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Brake- OEM 335i vs M sport (blue) vs M performance
GetBMWParts

07-08-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F30 310i > G20 310i

Brake- OEM 335i vs M sport (blue) vs M performance

All 3 sets are 4-pot front, disc/rotor size slight different (not sure of the actual dimension except I gathered that m performance is 370mm). From naked eye, the caliper look pretty much the same except for the paint/color.

The thousand dollar question - is it worth the upgrade? Does BMW share/published the additional stopping power compare to stock.

I had a minor accident recently and am dead set in getting better stopping power! So I wonder is t worth doing it now with the BMW parts or wait for the launch of the usual suspect, Alcons, Brembo GT, AP Racing, etc...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

If you're having problems stopping, look at your tires first. There is nothing wrong with the 335 oe brakes. Tires will make a massive difference
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

General consensus (from what I read) is to swap out the stock tire, I'm having Conti 5 run-flat, 225-45-18.

My primary concern of not changing these out is the fact that I'd stuck if I ever get a flat, not an issue at all if I'm stranded where I live, tow truck is always just an hour away, but if I venture up north (read Malaysia), not having a spare is a pinch, and carrying a spare in the already small boot is not an option either

I had Bridgestone RE070 in my previous ride (a JDM)... simply love those, but will give me a shiver everytime it rains (or wet road)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Tyres wil help a lot. But this morning I did some spirited driving and I did a full stop to zero for a T -junction I approached. I have 19"RFT S001 Potenzas so no worries about that. The tarmac was dry and the weather about 18 degrees celsius.

Anyway I came to a halt from lets say 80mph. Two times touching the ABS.

But the pedaltravel was very 'long' the first nanosecond or so when I hit the brakes.

Almost 'nothing' happened that first few metres ....I thought for a nanosecond:" Man I have to brake harder. "Much harder to let the cailpers BITE the discs so to speak...

That's what I did. Hitting the pedal like I do sometimes to test the brakes. 100% flooring it. And yes haleluja I came to a halt like as always. Bam. Nicely without problems. Very good brakes. But the pedaltravel made me scary for a nanosecond or so.

I just want the brakes to bite a bit more in the first place.....

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
F555
Captain
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: F30 - 335i

With that price i rather wait for brembo or other aftermarket brand. But I've seen some f30 fitted with brembo GT 6 pot on custom Made bracket, & seem
to work fine too.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
Sweeper
Second Lieutenant
Latvia
Rep
Drives: F10 , R8 , F30 M

Eeee

I had a BMW Performance brakes on E90 , the yellow/gold ones. The car is mainly for sport (Le Mans type 8 hours) custom roll cage. And I actually destroyed one of the front ones and one of the rear ones in about a hour or so. One was totally scrwed , almoust in half.

And we moved to Alcon / Brembo GT 6 spot. But it's the sport.

Now I have bought F30 performance front and read brakes which are 4 and 2 pot and they are HEAVY. Altrought pistons are large they doesn't look much like they have much power to stop anything. More like a cosmetics. And it's for 2 grands.

I would suggest (if you can) , to buy either a 6 pot Brembo GT with custom rotors for F30 or go for Alcon/Ap Racing if you need any braking.

If it's mainly for road accident protection , then I guess stock 335i is enought.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Thanks! Seems like i should spend the 2-grand on something else then... was gonna travel to state for business so that it's a good chance to get the brake (it's 50% cheaper in the state compared to where i live!)
Appreciate 0