E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Engine electronics wiring issues

06-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Engine electronics wiring issues

2006 330xi
Around 140000 miles
Problem: engine stutters or stalls randomly. Sometimes triggered by rolling over bumps.
Codes: intelligent battery sensor communication, various alternator codes, oil condition sensor.

Took my car to local Indy shop, he said to replace the IBS. Replaced it and problem still occurred. I took a look at the wiring diagrams in Bentley and noticed that a single wire ran from the DME and splices to the alternator and oil sensor. The splice is located in in a bundle of wires exiting the engine electronics box and has a rubber cap. I took the cap off and noticed that the wires were visibly corroded. I sprayed the wires with contact cleaner, soldered them after they were dry an replaced the cap. I did this to all the splices (there are many) and problem has not recurred. Codes didn't come back either. If anyone has a similar problem or wants to do this for preventative maintenance I would be glad to post pictures.
Appreciate 0