E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Body Shop added damage.

07-06-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
Mr Practical
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335 - TiAg

Body Shop added damage.

So my car went to the body shop for some damage on my driver side door and fender. I was supposed to pick up the car today but the shop advisor had said that they had damaged the door trim in the process of painting the car and that it had to be replaced. Since the part was on backorder I have to now wait til Tuesday for it to be fixed...I was pretty upset that I had to wait another weekend but was over it and they went ahead and paid for a rental car until the part came in.

So I headed to the shop to pick up the rental as well as get some things from the trunk of my car...when I saw that they had left a 2" deep scrath from the taping of the hood...Shop adviser said he was just going to buff it out and all would be good. I have spent 4 weekends detailing this car with Klasse and P21s and this hood damage just gets under my skin. Now I will have a part of my hood that will be missing some clear coat and probably end up with some swirl marks in that area...What should I do?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

should of gone to a better shop
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Make them repaint the entire hood.

If this is an insurance claim, they HAVE to fix it to your liking.
It is not acceptable to damage a car and then fix it "half-assed"

Tell them you don't want that 2" scratch THEY CAUSED to be buffed out.
The hood needs to be perfect as that's what THEY are paid for (by either you or the insurance company).

Call the insurance company ASAP and let them know you say this and "buffing it out" is not acceptable fix.
If they refuse to repaint the entire hood, file a BBB complaint.

I swear Automotive Service Shops these days are just absolutely going DOWN the toilet (like so many other service industries) with customer service and quality.
I know most of these quality problems lie in WHO these places hire and their complete lack of training, licensing, and legal qualifications, etc etc.

Edit: No surprise that you are in So. Cal. A lot of people on the cheap to hire here that don't meet those training, and legal licensing and qualifications I was speaking of above. Therefore they all too often don't do the job up the the standards we deserve and expect!
It's been YEARS since I've been to a service shop that has done an impeccable job fixing or repairing my cars.
I almost ALWAYS now find numerous things wrong.

Sorry for the rant, just boils my blood.

Good luck, make them do the job right!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2007, 09:11 PM   #4
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Try to avoid taking the car to any dealer or body shop unless it is absolutely necessary, there are always un-intended consequences that will happen to your car.
      07-06-2007, 09:13 PM   #5
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Make them repaint the entire hood.

If this is an insurance claim, they HAVE to fix it to your liking.
It is not acceptable to damage a car and then fix it "half-assed"

Tell them you don't want that 2" scratch THEY CAUSED to be buffed out.
The hood needs to be perfect as that's what THEY are paid for (by either you or the insurance company).

Call the insurance company ASAP and let them know you say this and "buffing it out" is not acceptable fix.
If they refuse to repaint the entire hood, file a BBB complaint.

I swear Automotive Service Shops these days are just absolutely going DOWN the toilet with customer service and quality.
I know most of these quality problems lie in WHO these places hire and their complete lack of training, licensing, qualifications, etc etc. And I think we all know who they are hiring....people on the cheap!
To top it off, if they like your car, they will take your car for a joy ride before handling it back to you. There are no ethics in this world anymore.
      07-06-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
To top it off, if they like your car, they will take your car for a joy ride before handling it back to you. There are no ethics in this world anymore.
Yeah, like they did with my Infiniti G35 a year or so ago.
Came back with 59 more miles on the odometer, low gas light on, and the Sirius satellite radio tuned to a Spanish channel that I don't listen too.
They were suppose to be fixing a rattle in the car!!!

That didn't go over well with me, and the GM of the dealer got an EARFUL, as well as Infiniti of America.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 01:25 AM   #7
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Practical View Post
So I headed to the shop to pick up the rental as well as get some things from the trunk of my car...when I saw that they had left a 2" deep scrath from the taping of the hood...Shop adviser said he was just going to buff it out and all would be good. I have spent 4 weekends detailing this car with Klasse and P21s and this hood damage just gets under my skin. Now I will have a part of my hood that will be missing some clear coat and probably end up with some swirl marks in that area...What should I do?
Buff out a 2 inch deep scratch?
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0