E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Coolant expansion tank replacement?

06-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
e90will
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f30 320iA

Coolant expansion tank replacement?

Hi, I'm planning to replace my waterpump + ts as part of preventative maintanance. Do I need to replace the expansion tank too? I'm at 134K.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

You don't have to. You could replace that shitty little plastic vent screw on it though, mine cracked and leaked.

If the tank failed later, it would only leak and go into limp mode.

If your waterpump had failed catastrophically, I suppose we could argue that the tank may have been stressed by overheating pressure as a result and could be weakened prematurely. But you are talking about doing preventative maintenance so I am assuming your pump and stat are both working still (just changing them for peace of mind and to save a hassle later).
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
e90will
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f30 320iA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
You don't have to. You could replace that shitty little plastic vent screw on it though, mine cracked and leaked.

If the tank failed later, it would only leak and go into limp mode.

If your waterpump had failed catastrophically, I suppose we could argue that the tank may have been stressed by overheating pressure as a result and could be weakened prematurely. But you are talking about doing preventative maintenance so I am assuming your pump and stat are both working still (just changing them for peace of mind and to save a hassle later).
Thank you! Yes, I plan on changing them for peace of mind and not have to worry about being stuck on the road if they fail.

I figure it makes sense based on the mileage of the car and also my upcoming roadtrip to Vegas..(hot weather & desert heat)
Appreciate 0