F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > H&R Sport Spring Driving Impressions
ARMA SPEED

06-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
SD_E88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i E88 Black

H&R Sport Spring Driving Impressions

Hi all,

Seriously wishing for a firmer ride from my 2012 328i F30 Sport Line. I came from a 03' 325i E46 with the Sport Suspension. That car rode so flat and firm. This car (while I love driving it) lacks in both firmness and body roll.

I'm considering the H&R Springs to change it up. For those of you who have installed them can you give me your driving impressions from the stock Sport Line Suspension? I do not have the Sport Adaptive Suspension just the Sport Line Suspension.

Are there any other alternatives? Anything out there aimed at decreasing the body roll?

Thanks for your help...
--ben
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

I have the H&R Sport Springs on my 335i. Body roll is pretty much eliminated. Although your 328i won't lower in the front as much as a 335i, I believe you'll be happy with the stiffness. On the 335i, I think they aren't stiff enough. The heavier engine really likes to bounce the springs around.

I'm surprised that H&R doesn't have separate springs for the 328 and the 335. The weight difference is enough to look at them as completely different cars. IMO, the H&R's don't lower the front of the 328 enough and lower the front too much on the 335. Just my opinion.

If you're really serious about stiffness and taming body roll, wait for the Koni or KW coilover kits. According to some shops, they will be available in the very very near future.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
SD_E88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Koni or KW eh? Definitely willing to wait a bit for a product that meets my needs more closely. I'm definitely interested in lowering the vehicle, I really liked the look of the E46, there was almost no clearance at all. But my main goal is to produce a firmer ride with less body roll.

I think you're right from the photos I've seen. The front doesn't look like it's lowered enough with the H&Rs. Do you know anything about their SuperSport Spring?

Wondering if you used spacers to push the wheels out a little on your 335? Personally I think they could use about 15mm. Have any photos of your ride?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
If I didnt have Adaptive M, I would have went with the super sport but since I want to play it safe I went sport. Tremolo is right its a little bouncy in comfort mode but it makes comfort mode bearable as I hated it before I kept it in sport. Now I dont mind driving in comfort or eco in traffic or cruising. Sport mode is really stiff but performs well. Car should have come with this setup from factory.

I wonder if there will be after market replacements for adaptive m?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 12:56 AM   #5
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_F30 View Post
Koni or KW eh? Definitely willing to wait a bit for a product that meets my needs more closely. I'm definitely interested in lowering the vehicle, I really liked the look of the E46, there was almost no clearance at all. But my main goal is to produce a firmer ride with less body roll.

I think you're right from the photos I've seen. The front doesn't look like it's lowered enough with the H&Rs. Do you know anything about their SuperSport Spring?

Wondering if you used spacers to push the wheels out a little on your 335? Personally I think they could use about 15mm. Have any photos of your ride?

From pics I've seen of the Super Sports, it doesn't seem like it lowers it anymore on the front of the 328i compared to the Sports. It just seems like it lowers the back more. Again, this is probably due to the light weight engine. Of course, this is all speculation.

I DO want to add 15mm spacers on my wheels. I've already measured it, and I looks like 15mm will look perfect. However, after mulling over it, I think I'll keep it stock for now. I just don't like the idea of putting something between the wheel and hub. Also, I haven't found a wheel lock that is extended 15mm. Any help with that would be much appreciated.

Here are some pics of my 335i.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
J Tiberius
Captain
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Imperial Blue Sport Line

I have the same model as you, and I installed the H&R sport springs for the very same reason that you are considering doing so. As others have stated, the body roll is essentially eliminated with the sport springs and it carves corners extraordinarily well over the stock set up.

Even with the lighter engine, the 328i ride height sits just right with the H&Rs. Fender gap is gone and the ride is compliant when desired and quite firm when needed, even on the passive M suspension (which I have). The front of the 335i lowered on sport springs looks like a 328i with super sport springs, which I don't necessarily prefer even though it still looks great.

I've been nothing but pleased with the performance of my 328i since changing out the springs, but I also ditched the runflats for max performance summer tires, which has certainly aided in the overall improvement in chassis performance. Depending on what OEM tires your F30 has, you may want to consider changing them out concurrently. In my experience it has been absolutely worth the money, and I thoroughly enjoy every moment in my car now - even with the DC traffic. I say go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_F30 View Post
Hi all,

Seriously wishing for a firmer ride from my 2012 328i F30 Sport Line. I came from a 03' 325i E46 with the Sport Suspension. That car rode so flat and firm. This car (while I love driving it) lacks in both firmness and body roll.

I'm considering the H&R Springs to change it up. For those of you who have installed them can you give me your driving impressions from the stock Sport Line Suspension? I do not have the Sport Adaptive Suspension just the Sport Line Suspension.

Are there any other alternatives? Anything out there aimed at decreasing the body roll?

Thanks for your help...
--ben
      06-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
SD_E88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Great comments all. Really appreciate hearing actual driving impressions rather than how "sick" the car looks not that it's "slammed". Just wanted a real world understanding of how real drivers felt about the way the car feels and handles with the new springs. After reading I'm pretty sure I'll go with the SuperSport set up. I do care about where the nose sits and since it's a 328 I know it's going to sit a little high with the Sports. It'll be a little while before I can pull the trigger, so we'll see if Koni comes out with something before then. I've also heard BMW has something in the works coming out in September... that's soooooo far away!
Appreciate 0