E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i impressions from previous Audi owner (long)

07-03-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
jprieur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

335i impressions from previous Audi owner (long)

Picked up a sparkling Graphite/Grey Leather 335i Sedan (STEP/SPORT/PREMIUM/COMF ACCES/SIRIUS) on 5/31. After a full month with the car, I though I would provide my initial impression in comparison to my previous Audi, a 2005 A6 Quattro (note: had a 2002 330Ci previous to the audi so not new to the BMW crowd):
I will post picks later tonight, I havent seen that many grey int pics for the E90 - and I would have appreciated them when I was browsing for colors. for those of you on the fence with this color I love it, not too dark but not too light and just the right amount of contrast with the wood trim and black dash to make it pop and not get washed out.

Things I miss moving from Audi to BMW (things that Audi does better):
  1. Audi doors have a solid and commanding THUD/THUNK when you shut them and the interior door panels wrap all the way around the door jamb to the first weatherstrip. BMW does neither, but I understand that BMW's focus is more on ideal weight/distribution so I dont know them for the sound of the doors when they close.
  2. Interior details, Audi does this better than anyone. Though the styling is subjective you can't argue with Audi interiors. For example, the door pockets in the Audi are felt lined, even the parts you cant see.
  3. Quattro. This is a double edged sword, I am throwing it in more as a thing I miss than a comparison - when it rains I miss the Audi (but only when it rains) . I say this is dichotomy because this is also what makes Audi's so damn nose heavy and thus insuperior to BMW in the handling dept.
  4. MMI. Though I don't have Idrive, I have played with it enough to know that MMI is just better. I think Audi's approach was better in that they still left complex multistep adjustments out of MMI (like climate control) and left just the entertainment/NAV/car setup functions .
  5. Overall quality. I think Audi does overall perceived quality better than BMW, interior parts just fit better, exterior panels line up perfectly and have less panel gap, their paint has less orange peel, etc. . .
What I like more about my BMW:
  1. Engine. Obviously the BMW is faster with the TT, but its a hair smoother than the Audi's 3.2 FSI. Obviously alot of this can be attributed to the inline config, but I have always thought the BMW builds a better engine than Audi - so not suprised there. Of course, damn this engine is fast, a beautiful creation.
  2. Transmission. Correct me if I am wrong, but the 335i sedan has the same new ZF auto as the 335i coupe right? Either way, the step in the BMW is better than the Audis tip any day of the week, and not just for the faster up/down shifs - my audi bucked in stop and go traffic (I thought it was a problem with mine, others I test drove had the same issue).
  3. Suspension/steering. Again, hands down BMW (no suprise for me). The Audi was tuned for sport, but did have a nice sport/comfort mix. However, dynamically Audi steering is lifeless and their suspensions just dont match the BMW feel. I have to give credit to BMW on one thing in particular: Even after some idiot decided to put runflats on the car, I do think the engineers did a good job calibrating the coil/spring rates to accomodate. Though I will be getting rid of the funflats soon, I think its pretty compliant for the stock setup.
  4. Stereo. I am putting this here for one reason, I think BMW's placement of the subs under the seats is sheer brilliance. Though the Audi had a better overall sound system (Bose - which I usually hate), by placing the subs under the seats they have eliminate so much resonant buzzing/rattling that plagues the door/rear shelf setup. That said, dont even go near the Audi A8/A5/S5 B&O setup, else you will throw rocks at nearly any stereo.
Both Audi and BMW build great cars, and I hate it when I hear people on this board and beyond who know nothing about Audi's speak of them as glorified VW's and not in the same class as Audi. I have owned both, they are both great cars; but they are designed to slightly different markets. BMW does cutting edge technology and hard edged styling, all out sport and driving dynamics/balance with a good amount of luxury built in. Audi does more restrained/elegent styling, cutting edge technology (though not as cutting edge as BMW - it seems they take a little more time in development stage so the customers are not guinny pigs) all out luxury with a good amount of sport built in.

Of course, I am comparing the A6 to the 335i, but I have driven many A4's during my test drive and service appt's, so much of this comparo derives from Audi as a whole. However, I would take a 3 series over an A4; as for the rest of the lineup: I would take the A6 over the 5 series (hands down), the A8 over the 7 Series (close call); the Z4 over the TT (I am including the new TT, the 2.0L comes only in FWD - big mistake on Audi's part in my opinion, this should have been RWD or Quattro). As far as the X5 and Q7, I have driven neither so I cannot say. I have not driven the Audi R8, but have seen it in person - you have to be blind if you think its anything less than art and I dont care if you are lifetime BMW only fanatic.

Anyway, I just wanted to provide my 2 cents. This is a finely engineered machine through and through. I am at 2000 miles already, already did the oil change (I had Mobil 1 0w40 in two cases from the Audi so I figured why not) and I have been having loooooonnngg cranks when starting a WARM engine. When its hot (less than 20 min or so of sitting) or its cold it starts just fine. Just to be sure I scheduled an appt with service and told them I think my HPFP is going bad. Also, my driver seat (sport pkg) creeks like crazy, and damn is that annoying! All I have to do to not think about these two issues is take an off ramp at speed, turn a corner with a little throttle or just simply push down the accelerator on the interstate and feel the rush of power so smooth its like pulling silk over polished marble.

Beyond all of this, if you are driving a BMW, Audi, Porsche or Mercedes(pre late 1990's - topic for another discussion) you are part of a group of individuals who expects more out of a car than just point A to point B with no fuss and as little input/engagement as possible - hell thats what Lexus is for. You want complex engineering that rewards speed and the overall driving experience. You want to look at new american car ads and say to yourself 'what are they designing, a rental car? damn thats boring.' You want to (when traffic is light and cops arent around) go well passed that speed limit for a short burst and smile when you think to yourself 'thats why I bought a German car, thats what they are made for.' God forbid of course, when something does go wrong and you end up swapping more than paint with someone else on the road, you want to walk away intact thanks to german overengineering/rigid body structures and of course, that mecca of a road in the homeland that makes them build their cars so safe. I think I have gone on long enough, for those of you still reading up to this point thanks for listening.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

Thanks for your input, it's good to hear from someone who actually has facts to back up his arguments. Great job, I enjoyed reading this.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 10:07 AM   #3
Daya
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 space gray/coral red

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [9.66]
Nicely written. I came from a B6 A4 1.8tqm and could not agree with you more.

Unfortunately I think Audi produces their cars at 70-75% of their potential, and most people have to mod their cars and spend ~$5k just to get it up to competitive standards in this market. Audi's are great cars, but the focus is fit and finish.

I think BMW produces their cars at 90% of their potential and I am more than satisfied with the power of my e92 335 from the factory. Of course a procede wouldn't hurt BMW's are more about the driving experience and driver engagement.

Both are great cars, I have owned both and I too, get tired with the whole BMW > Audi, Audi > BMW debate. We are all car enthusiasts, we all share the same passion. We should just be able to appreciate our common interests and differences in taste.

GIAC S2 | Brembo GT BBK 355/345 | BBS CH-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | AR Design: DP, S1 Oil Cooler, OCC | AMS FMIC | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Borla MP | KW V1 | Stett: CAI, CP | Forge DV | P3 Boost Gauge | Arkym: Front Lip, Rear Quad Diffuser | Vorsteiner CSL Trunk | LUX H8 | ModMyNav | MFD M3 Sideskirts | BMW M-Tech Front/Rear Bumpers, Edition Grills
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
The Cleaner
Thats all you need to know.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 , 2016 X5

Nice write up, I have owned both as well and I don't share the same opinion about Audi the quality is where I found Audi to fall short, but I like reading your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

All of you are bang on the money. I have always liked the way Audi designs cars. Its more of an artists perception of what an automobile should be. It also helps that they are very finicky about their fit, finish and quality. The ergonomics of the interior are brilliant and just plain haute couture.

That being said, I will agree a 100% to both these makers aiming for a different market. Audis are for the classy people of society and BMWs are for the purist and the enthusiast who loves minimalism and prefers function over form.....and Mercedes is there to make both their lives miserable
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #6
Mr Practical
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335 - TiAg

Great read.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #7
Tobizach
Female Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: By the seat of her pants.

Great write up

So refreshing to read a simple normal impression, than all this" mY cAr iS BetTer than whatever" junk.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daya View Post
Both are great cars, I have owned both and I too, get tired with the whole BMW > Audi, Audi > BMW debate. We are all car enthusiasts, we all share the same passion. We should just be able to appreciate our common interests and differences in taste.
I agree with you and the OP entirely. Too many people these days are obsessed with judging others or proving them wrong. Rather than letting others enjoy their lives these people feel the need to declare why their choice is better. What's worse is that these pissing matches often concern the most trivial topics: favorite sports team, what car you drive, how you spend your time, etc.

Great original post, btw.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #9
Bimmer335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 Sparkling Graphite 335i Sed

^+100

Thanks for the input. Very nice writeup...agree with most if not all what you indicated! And yes, I really love the sound system and kudos for BMW on the placement of the subs..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 11:40 AM   #10
RIP-A4
estudioG design+interiors
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

agree 100% nice review!!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #11
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

You forgot to add Resale Value, traditionally far superior on BMW than Audi.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #12
DrGP
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sapphire 335i coupe

One thing you forgot to mention is that Audis, in general, are overweigh, not just from the extra weight of the Quattro. This leads to poorer performance and lower fuel ecomomy. But they are built like tanks and survive really well in most accidents.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #13
LENELSA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Audi A6 3.0 /BMW M240i

I've been driving Audi's for the last 8 years. (From TT's to A6's. )
After test driving the 335i sedan I realized how more of a SOLID vehicle it is in comparison to Audi. I don't know maybe I'm a little burnt out on the Audi interior but I find the interior of the 335i a welcome change.

I've had a 2004 A6 S-Line 2.7T for the last 3 years and I have to say that
the 335i sedan feels like a better made vehicle. (Don't get me wrong I love my A6 but I feel a big difference.)

my 2cents......
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 12:12 PM   #14
Rando
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Outstanding post - well written and very informative. Thank you very much for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #15
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
good read, thank you! this gives me some insight onto why one of my friends prefers Audi over BMW.

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #16
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35is

Good comparison, but I too must disagree with the quality of the Audi. I had an '04 A4 3.0 Quattro, it was a beautiful car, but at 11,000 miles it had developed some pretty bad rattles.

I did not find it to be a "sporty" drive at all. I do agree, in the rain the quattro is fantastic. Mine was a 6MT and the clutch and gear throws were both way too long. Plus, the thing is so front heavy, why even bother with trying to have fun in a corner. Past 4500 rpm the Audi engine was so rough feeling it made me feel like I must really be hurting something. Also, when I engaged the clutch the revs didn't drop, I had to consciously wait for the revs to drop before going into the next gear. Spirited driving just was not rewarding at all.

I can't really compare it to the 335i yet, because as I type this mine is at the VPC in SC. I can however compare it to the C Class Mercedes, because that's what I replaced it with. Actually I had an RX8 for a short time between the two. I would take the Mercedes over the Audi any day. My Mercedes has been fantastic and the performance is much better than I ever would have expected. It is better balanced than the Audi, and the engine is much better, and it's surprisingly fast. My main gripe with the Mercedes is that the traction control kicks in way too early, and completely shuts it down for a second. Not what you want when you pull out in front of traffic and hit it. I got in the habit of switching it off if I needed to pull out fast. I bought the Mercedes just to get out of the RX8, but to my surprise I really liked it. The only reason that I'm getting the 335 is because my wife was in love with the Mercedes, and wanted to drive it all the time. Now she has the car she loves and I'm getting one that I will like even more.

I admit I did look at the S4 before I ordered my 335, but after driving the BMW, there was no question.

No, Audis are not glorified VW's, they are very nice cars. I just doubt I will ever buy another one. Okay, maybe an R8.

As for the RX8, it was a lot fun to drive, but the rear doors just were too much of a pain with kids, and 12-14 mpg just wasn't cutting it. Plus Audi/Mercedes/BMW convey a much better image for the work that I do.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #17
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Nicely written. Another person from the dark side..

(I had an A4 before this)

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 11:05 PM   #18
RenaultOne
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 328i Jet Black

s5 or 335i?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 12:35 AM   #19
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Great read, I too, like Audis. I just wish they were a bit faster for the money you spend.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 12:42 AM   #20
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
+1 on a well written, reasoned review. Most of us will give props to Audi on their interiors. I happen to like the understated exterior styling from Audi as well.

One slight drawback to BMW that you probably already know, having owned one in the past, is that the BMW drivers' reputation as a-holes will precede you wherever you go. There is a contingent on the road that will treat you like you're driving like a jerk, even when you're driving "nice." I find I get this attitude far more often when driving the BMW than other cars. I suspect you see the same attitude with Audi, but probably a lot less of it.
      07-04-2007, 01:31 AM   #21
manyways
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport

good write-up

for the creaky seats, tell the SA when u take it in for the bad fuel pump. mine had the same issue, sport pkg 355 sedan, they will oil the railings or something and should be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 01:46 AM   #22
am_ver
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

I think OP has a broken fuel pump - those long cranks are a first sign.

2008 e93 335i, 6sp MT, Montego Blue, Saddle, Burl, ZSP, Bluetooth, iDrive, PDC, V1+CD
2007 e92 335i coupe, 6sp MT, Montego, Beige, ZPP, iDrive, PDC
2006 e90 325i, ZPP, iDrive, Arctic, Xenon
Appreciate 0