F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Advice on Lowering My Car
GetBMWParts

06-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Advice on Lowering My Car

Hey Guys,

I get awesome feedback from all of you everytime I post anything and need help with yet another quesiton.

I recently ordered my F30 328i and went with the Luxury Line because I love the Saddle Brown interior. However I want my car to be as sporty as possible.

One of the things I plan to do is to lower my car. I initially thought about H&R Sport Springs but recently someone confused me a bit.

Most of the people that installed the H&R Sport Springs did so on the Sport Line with the Sport Suspension. In Canada, I cannot order the Sport Suspension with the Luxury Line and really annoyed at that.

I just wanted to check with you the experts on what should I do? Can I still install the H&R Sport Springs on my current suspension or should I do something totally different? Is it safe for me and my car if I install the H&R Sport Springs on my car as it is?

Please let me know...Thanks a million people!
      06-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
PrazVT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M240i 6mt (soon)

I was looking at the M Performance parts and saw something called 'M Performance Chassis' here:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...ies_sedan.html

It looks like it will be available in September - it looks like it's more than just upgraded springs. I don't know much about suspension mods .. but may be an option?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

I installed H&R sport springs on my 335i Sport Line. It is a bit lower than I thought it would be. On smooth to lightly bumpy roads, the ride quality is pretty smooth. But get a little more rough and ride quality suffers a little bit. The struts bottom out on moderate dips and bumps. Usually to me, this is not acceptable. However, the look makes it worth it for now. As soon as the struts wear out, I am definitely upgrading.

Going from a Luxury Line to H&R springs will be drastically different. However, it might not be too bad with a 328i. The front sits higher due to the lighter engine.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
I installed H&R sport springs on my 335i Sport Line. It is a bit lower than I thought it would be. On smooth to lightly bumpy roads, the ride quality is pretty smooth. But get a little more rough and ride quality suffers a little bit. The struts bottom out on moderate dips and bumps. Usually to me, this is not acceptable. However, the look makes it worth it for now. As soon as the struts wear out, I am definitely upgrading.

Going from a Luxury Line to H&R springs will be drastically different. However, it might not be too bad with a 328i. The front sits higher due to the lighter engine.

Hope this helps.

Hey Tremolo,

Thanks!

So you're saying the H&R Sport Springs will be enough? I dont need to get a kit or anything else?

Thanks again, your car looks awesome (thats why I went with Alpine White! )...
      06-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
RJCrew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M4 ZCP SO/SO

Same here. I'm thinking about lowering my 335 Luxury Line too but not sure the outcome and what to use. I'm leaning more towards H&R sports spring but like Maz said, mostly here in the forum have sports line with a sports suspension. Most of the shops here are charging me at $1000 for the job, springs and alignment so definitely i need to make sure to use the right springs.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
Hey Tremolo,

Thanks!

So you're saying the H&R Sport Springs will be enough? I dont need to get a kit or anything else?

Thanks again, your car looks awesome (thats why I went with Alpine White! )...
Thanks for the compliments. I love AW too!

In terms of needing a full suspension kit... no. You don't need a kit. Even if you have the Adaptive Suspension (I believe Ric124 lowered his AW Sport Line with Adaptive Sus), it should be okay (according to Ric124).

You probably already know this, but Ric124's thread is here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691261

HOWEVER! I totally believe you should get a kit when it becomes available. Just installing springs on a 50k car is kind of "cheaping out" IMO... if you take performance seriously, Springs only is definitely not an option. I don't mind just riding around in springs for now. But when a kit becomes available, I'm installing it for sure. I'm waiting for the KW V1 or V2 to become available for the F30.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
onehungevo
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I went with the super sport H & R springs. I would much rather be too low than too high. I haven't had them installed yet. FYI...the rear tire camber can be adjusted but the fronts cannot.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehungevo View Post
I went with the super sport H & R springs. I would much rather be too low than too high. I haven't had them installed yet. FYI...the rear tire camber can be adjusted but the fronts cannot.
What line did you get? Sport or Luxury?

So you'll simply add the H&R Super Sport springs to your current suspension and that's it?
      06-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
This is the description from Turner about Super Sport. This is why i didn't go with it. Didn't want to kill my Adaptive M's, i would def recommend some some sort of upgraded damper system with super sport.

Quote:
Standard Suspension
Front Lowering: -1.75"
Rear Lowering -1.6"

Sport Suspension
Front Lowering: -1.3."
Rear Lowering -1.2"

Enhance the look of your BMW F30 328i or 335i Sedan with a reduced fender well gap. H&R Sport Springs lower the vehicle center of gravity and reduce body roll for better handling. H&R Super sport springs are the next step beyond H&R Sport springs. Minimally stiffer than H&R Sport Springs, the Super Sport springs provide a very aggresive lowering while still maintaining good ride comfort. Shocks designed for lowered cars and suspension geometry correction is strongly recommended with these springs.

Look what I found on H&R website! I wonder if this car belongs to anyone on this forum?

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep

I'm thinking of going with super sport because I have the 328i which is was lower than your 335i's.

I just don't want it to be too low...

Any suggestions?
      06-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep

I'm thinking of going with super sport because I have the 328i which is was lower than your 335i's.

I just don't want it to be too low...

Any suggestions?