E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335xi and the .2 sec myth

07-02-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

335xi and the .2 sec myth

So the BMW as-advertised stats for the 335xi list it about .2 sec faster than the non-xi versions. Therefore, the burning question was whether the point spread would hold as-tested.

Where the 335i versions consistently put down an as-tested time 0-60 of 4.8 in car mags, would/could the 335xi do a 4.6?

I don't have the equipment of a car mag and I only have my black saph. 335xi step to test, but I did run it a few times using a Beltronics Vector FX1. Based on my tests, the myth is a bust.

I can get it within a few hundreths of 5 sec every time, with a best of 4.98. This means it is about .2 secs off the 335i pace, AWD notwithstanding. This isn't unexpected given the extra weight and drivetrain losses which must be more of a penalty than the traction gain. My best 1/4 was 13.63 at 101.4. I still need to test the accuracy of the FX1 when I can take it to the track (I lent it to my friends with a Boxter and new Monte Carlo SS who both got pretty conservative times - much slower than me ) Until then, the 335i wins the sprint.

That's okay the car is still a beast. And it will still smoke a 335i.

You just have to wait for rain.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
That's okay the car is still a beast. And it will still smoke a 335i.

You just have to wait for rain.
Haha. I've been beating up on STi's when given the chance, but just the other day in the wet a regular WRX smoked me...I really didn't even try but there was no point.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

don't forget that magazine testers abuse the hell out of cars

when you try it in real life, you're bound to be slower
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Your test is scientifically invalid unless you can find somebody in the area with a 335i Step and run the same exact test with the same measurment equipment at the same spot under conditions as similar as possible, and with you driving. Otherwise you're comparing apples to oranges.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

I dunno, other posters have been able to replicate the 4.8 time with their 335i's using similar off-the-shelf acceleration testing equipment. True, I could be 'slow', or my car, but I did the tests more than a few times in diff conditions and played with launches at 2500 rpm and 'short' shifting vs. leaving it all to DS.

It would be nice if an auto mag tested the 335xi, or other posters posted their times for a more representative sample though.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
If you want better times, add a PROcede, Xede or Turbo Tuner.

You'll see a huge improvement.

I went with the Turbo Tuner because that's all I can afford for now. Can't wait until it arrives tomorrow!

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

the Porsche 4s is actually slower than the regular 911s as seen when clarkson on top gear did the comparison!!!!! plus 2wd is just way more fun on a track than awd...it is just too easy to kick the back end out and have fun!!!! just get an lsd and your way better off than having AWD but if you get about 60 inches of snow a year or something then you might consider an AWD but damn i live in chicago and i would never get AWD for how many days i would actually use it which is only about 10 or so in the winter!!!! they clean the roads fast around here in the winter...just the side streets get a lil hairy in the city!!!! it's not worth the gas mileage loss and the weight it adds!!!! AWD is for the granny in the merc not a good driver!!!!! but evo's and sti's are totally diff they rock b/c the cars are designed for rally!!!!! RALLY not driving around in NYC or LA they are RALLY CARS!!!!! you don't need AWD in those areas just a good set of snows in NYC and areas that get snow....maybe if i was in Buffalo or something i might consider it but for people in chicago and all the AWD cars i see it seems pointless...even my buddy that owns a wrx and an STI says around here why do you need it and he wqas all about it before he got those cars!!!! he still loves AWD and how it feels...and by the way the new sti (even though an ugly hatch) is gonna have 3 LSDs why can bmw have 1!!! why is it reserved for the M cars...that is my bitch with bmw... but from what i hear the new performance catalog will contain an lsd for the 335 but not in the catalog just released in the updated one that won't come out for some time!!!!! but at this time next year we should all be lsd crazy and one from BMW itself not birds or quaife..though that one is awesome from what i hear!!!!! still bmw wake up at least make it an option then not just a whole new car(M's)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #8
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

BTW the press fleet cars that the magazines test are not necessarily production spec and may or may not have "tweaks" on them. Secondly, as per your own testing you're already exceeding what BMW says your car will do. Lastly, the advantage that the xi's have in 0-60 is purely due to traction. From a roll a RWD 'i' will still pull away from an xi anyways due to lower weight and less drivetrain loss. The 'i' is still faster to 60 mph on the 325/328/330 because those cars don't grossly exceed traction limits in 1st gear like the 335 will, so the AWD isn't as useful.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #9
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
the Porsche 4s is actually slower than the regular 911s as seen when clarkson on top gear did the comparison!!!!! plus 2wd is just way more fun on a track than awd...it is just too easy to kick the back end out and have fun!!!! just get an lsd and your way better off than having AWD but if you get about 60 inches of snow a year or something then you might consider an AWD but damn i live in chicago and i would never get AWD for how many days i would actually use it which is only about 10 or so in the winter!!!! they clean the roads fast around here in the winter...just the side streets get a lil hairy in the city!!!! it's not worth the gas mileage loss and the weight it adds!!!! AWD is for the granny in the merc not a good driver!!!!! but evo's and sti's are totally diff they rock b/c the cars are designed for rally!!!!! RALLY not driving around in NYC or LA they are RALLY CARS!!!!! you don't need AWD in those areas just a good set of snows in NYC and areas that get snow....maybe if i was in Buffalo or something i might consider it but for people in chicago and all the AWD cars i see it seems pointless...even my buddy that owns a wrx and an STI says around here why do you need it and he wqas all about it before he got those cars!!!! he still loves AWD and how it feels...and by the way the new sti (even though an ugly hatch) is gonna have 3 LSDs why can bmw have 1!!! why is it reserved for the M cars...that is my bitch with bmw... but from what i hear the new performance catalog will contain an lsd for the 335 but not in the catalog just released in the updated one that won't come out for some time!!!!! but at this time next year we should all be lsd crazy and one from BMW itself not birds or quaife..though that one is awesome from what i hear!!!!! still bmw wake up at least make it an option then not just a whole new car(M's)
Better easy back on the Java, Joe. I need AWD where I live, no doubt about it. Based on how you write, nevermind AWD - I think you need some brakes! Around corners, the xDrive is a nice LSD substitute.

I should say that I'm not dissapointed owning a 5 sec to 60 car. Far from it. I LOVE my car. I have no burning need to dial up Mr. Shiv just yet.

The other thing that is weird is that the tires don't even chirp at WOT off the line and winding it up first. I've had slower cars that would leave a block of rubber doing that. This car is more of a slingshot effect.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #10
Cornhusker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I would imagine that the xi won't really speed up the launch times until you add a piggyback. A i version has plenty of traction to launch when stock.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 06:47 PM   #11
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

I have no doubt the 335xi is faster to 60 mph than the 335i.
But I think that's mostly true for manual cars only.

In the manual 335xi you can rev it up to a much high rpm and quickly slip out the clutch for a hard, fast launch...just like any other AWD car.

With the step, you are limited to how high the torque converter is going to let you "power brake" the car at launch.
I would suspect the added 225 lbs (or whatever it is) is not enough to over come in the step with it's lower rpm launches.

But keep in mind, 0-60 does not measure how "fast" a car is.
In terms of all out acceleration the 335i will always be faster than the 335xi because it's less weight and less drivetrain losses.
Again, the xi will surely be faster from a stop due to it's launching abilities, but keep the acceleration going for even a 1/4 mile run and the 335i will catch up and pass before the stripe most likely.

And from most rolling speeds, the 335i will start to pull away right away.

Think of it like the STI's and EVO's
They are beasts off the line, but SRT-4's and MGT can run with them once rolling.

I wouldn't worry about it though. Your car is still fast. And like you said, in a rainy or snow environment, a regular 335i doesn't stand a chance and the xi is the one to own for traction, safety and surefootedness in those conditions.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 07:15 PM   #12
rallycobra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

335xi. Put the car in DS mode. Left foot on the brake. Right foot all the way down on the gas. Lift your left foot before the tach hits 2600 so you don't launch in second. Definitely faster than a step or manual 335i on street tires 0-60. Any power increase will make a bigger difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #13
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

how else do you think BMW Marketing can sell the Xi if they don't put the 0.2 sec. myth out?
      07-03-2007, 01:07 AM   #14
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

Cornhusker, Driver72, and rallycobra - what you guys are saying about std v step makes a lot of sense, along with every thing else.

By way of update, I ran her again tonight:

0-60 - 4.90
1/4 - 13.45
trap - 104.2

Which is pretty good for a 'heavy" AWD sedan no?

Edmunds just tested a std. 335i coupe:

Quote:
These impressions were borne out at the test track, where the 335i was not only four-tenths of a second quicker to the quarter-mile mark with a 13.4-second run but also moving at a significantly faster clip of 104.3 mph. Meanwhile, 60 mph came up in just 4.8 seconds.
I'm still chasin' the myth .
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 01:37 AM   #15
murellus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 x3m40i

put in ds and hold shifter up (so displays m1). depress brake fully and rev up and launch immed after. pretty much the same but i think holding shifter in down shift position will keep it in 1st properly.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 05:45 AM   #16
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
how else do you think BMW Marketing can sell the Xi if they don't put the 0.2 sec. myth out?
At least here in the US marketing has schooled us that more is better, 20" better than 19" better than 18" rims, AWD is needed, xi is worthwhile trade-off for 50/50 weight and fuel economy if it rains where you live, etc. Heaven forbid one day they even school us into thinking a diesel is worthwhile, they've already taught the 60+ crowd who did better in math that we did that a hybrid is a sound financial decision....
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 07:36 AM   #17
KEVIN88GT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
AWD is for the granny in the merc not a good driver!!!!! but evo's and sti's are totally diff they rock b/c the cars are designed for rally!!!!! RALLY not driving around in NYC or LA they are RALLY CARS!!!!! you don't need AWD in those areas just a good set of snows in NYC and areas that get snow....maybe if i was in Buffalo or something i might consider it but for people in chicago and all the AWD cars i see it seems pointless...

wow what a bunch of immature comments ...that and the fact you need to learn how to form new paragraphs...... what was I thinking getting AWD 335 (my 3rd AWD car in a row) I clearly made a mistake because Purplewidow said so.... get a life man

To the original poster..... curious if your car is a step or manual trans and what launch technique you used to get the stated times....
'07 335xi
'06 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 08:52 AM   #18
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

Sparkplug's 1st and 2nd post
Quote:
I don't have the equipment of a car mag and I only have my black saph. 335xi step to test, but I did run it a few times using a Beltronics Vector FX1. Based on my tests, the myth is a bust.
Quote:
but I did the tests more than a few times in diff conditions and played with launches at 2500 rpm and 'short' shifting vs. leaving it all to DS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN88GT View Post
To the original poster..... curious if your car is a step or manual trans and what launch technique you used to get the stated times....
      07-03-2007, 07:02 PM   #19
KEVIN88GT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Audi A4

thanks...I should read more carefully
'07 335xi
'06 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
Appreciate 0