BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
GTM_Challenge
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

GTMotoring - Akrapovic Downpipes 1M/135

For the ultimate in weight reduction, tuning potential, and racing sound, Akrapovic offer stainless steel, catless downpipes. When used in conjunction with the Evolution System, this is virtually the same setup used on the 1M Moto GP Safety Car. The high-flow downpipes do require ECU reprogramming to eliminate the check engine light and for peak power output. They are only for the dedicated track day car or hardcore enthusiasts.

ECU tune or flash is required to use all downpipes. As they remove primary catalyst.

Please PM or email us for pricing and availability

Please PM / Email me any questions or give us a call at: 847-466-7463 M-F 10-6 central
austin@gtmotoring.com
Payments by Paypal, Visa or Mastercard

Last edited by GTM_Challenge; 09-25-2012 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
T-Dubbs
Coal Troll
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 535d

can you plz pm pricing shipped to calgary,ab?
      05-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
GTM_Challenge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dubbs View Post
can you plz pm pricing shipped to calgary,ab?
PM'D
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
T-Dubbs
Coal Troll
Rep

are there any benefits to these over the ones that cost half the price?
ex. http://gtbperformance.gostorego.com/1-series/e82-e87-e88-2004-2012/exterior/ar-design-hi-flow-3-cattless-downpipes-135i-335i-n54.html
      05-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
GTM_Challenge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dubbs View Post
are there any benefits to these over the ones that cost half the price?[/URL]
The build quality, design, and fitment are the main advantages of the Akrapovic down pipes. They are the benchmark
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
T-Dubbs
Coal Troll
Rep

everyone claims their product is the best...
id like to see an actual test of downpipes for fitment/desgin/dyno/price

thank you for the information !
      08-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

They do make a wonderful product and their build quality does set the bar when it comes to materials, fit and finish, and welds. There are reall only two things that I had questions and they probably should be asked directly to them, but 1: Why use flex tubes in each downpipe when no one else does? long term benefit to prevent cracked exhaust and to offer flexibility in exhaust system? and 2: why not go with a flush, end to end/butt weld for a smoth transition? two section are puffed up/ flared up like any ol' blue bullet exhaust shop bender will do to make a slip fit and then weld it. Its just a cheaper way of fiting two pieces of exhaust pipes together before welding them. For the price these downpipes are, I would expect a better job on that. Either way, I know these are top quality, just wondered about those two things that no other company does. I have been very interested in the complete exhaust pacakge FWIW. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
GTM_Challenge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
They do make a wonderful product and their build quality does set the bar when it comes to materials, fit and finish, and welds. There are reall only two things that I had questions and they probably should be asked directly to them, but 1: Why use flex tubes in each downpipe when no one else does? long term benefit to prevent cracked exhaust and to offer flexibility in exhaust system? and 2: why not go with a flush, end to end/butt weld for a smoth transition? two section are puffed up/ flared up like any ol' blue bullet exhaust shop bender will do to make a slip fit and then weld it. Its just a cheaper way of fiting two pieces of exhaust pipes together before welding them. For the price these downpipes are, I would expect a better job on that. Either way, I know these are top quality, just wondered about those two things that no other company does. I have been very interested in the complete exhaust pacakge FWIW. Thanks.
Generally companys use flex sections when they are trying reduce the amount of engine vibration transmitted to the exhuast. The ones Akrapovic flex sections are high strength ones at that. While the slip fit and weld joints are cheaper to do than a butt weld, they are also slightly stronger as well which is the main reason they do this im sure as the rest of their exhaust items rarely do this. Downpipes see ALOT of heat and engine movement so i think this is just Akrapovic's way of trying to make it as reliable as they can.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM_Challenge View Post
Generally companys use flex sections when they are trying reduce the amount of engine vibration transmitted to the exhuast. The ones Akrapovic flex sections are high strength ones at that. While the slip fit and weld joints are cheaper to do than a butt weld, they are also slightly stronger as well which is the main reason they do this im sure as the rest of their exhaust items rarely do this. Downpipes see ALOT of heat and engine movement so i think this is just Akrapovic's way of trying to make it as reliable as they can.
You know, That does make sense with the slip fits. It also makes for a stonger weld between the two pieces as well. Could be their reason. IDK. Either way, I'm sure it has little restiction, if any, and also dosnt have the slag or roughness cheaper downpipes have when butt welding the pices together. Thanks for the fast response. I'll take it all in consideration when upgrading. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
GTM_Challenge
United_States
Rep

Please PM or Email with any questions or for pricing
Appreciate 0