E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Networking question

05-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #1
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Networking question

I know there are quite a few guys with good networking knowledge. I have an interesting question I think . I had a problem with AirPlay which I resolved. The issue was my Marrantz AV unit had the same IP address as my daughters iPod. The Marrantz had a wired connection and the iPod is wireless. Thing is I thought the router shouldn't do this? Resolved by giving the Marrantz I fixed/reserved IP address but I am curious to know why my Netgear router would give 2 devices the same IP address? Any thoughts ?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
jrah
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340d

I had an issue with a Netgear router in the past, we had two identical devices and the router assigned them both the same I.P. address (I'm assuming because they were the same device), when one connected it caused the other to disconnect.
      05-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Most likely due to it not having an expire date on each IP it gives out and not being proper DHCP it got stuck.

Depending on age of router I would check for firmware updates as it could be a bug.

Also if you using fixed ip addressing its worth customising the scope of your router DHCP scope so IPs given out are outside of the range of fixed. For example you genenrally get 255 or so IPs. I would set the range on DHCP to be 100 to 255. This would mean IPs given out would be above 100 and if you use fixed you would use below 100.

Also depends on routers you can set age / renew setting for each IP on DHCP. So when it gives it out it will reissue a new one to the devce after certain time or simply clear it so its now free and force the device if it returns to ask for new one. Generally on home routers this is turned off.
Hope this helps
      05-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Helps a lot thanks. The router is quite new a Netgear WNDR3700 and it has the latest firmware. Thought it was wrong to give out the same IP twice. Like the idea of restricting the range given out and will look at this. Thanks
Appreciate 0