BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Midwest / Rockies

05-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

Aspen

Going to a conference in Aspen. Leaving from Boulder Wednesday late afternoon. Can't decide whether to take the Jetta or the M3. Independence Pass appears to be open early this year.

Anyone make this trip before? In the M3? I don't have chains or anything like that. Is it possible? Google maps streets view looks like some really nice driving roads :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by robackja View Post
Going to a conference in Aspen. Leaving from Boulder Wednesday late afternoon. Can't decide whether to take the Jetta or the M3. Independence Pass appears to be open early this year.

Anyone make this trip before? In the M3? I don't have chains or anything like that. Is it possible? Google maps streets view looks like some really nice driving roads :-)
Yep. We have all seen the pict of me getting sideways two years ago while trying to go through Aspen on summer tires.... Then again, that was in April. You should have no problem this time of year. I was just in that area about two weeks ago in the M3 and it was fine. Take the Bimmer and enjoy the drive!
      05-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
Yep. We have all seen the pict of me getting sideways two years ago while trying to go through Aspen on summer tires.... Then again, that was in April. You should have no problem this time of year. I was just in that area about two weeks ago in the M3 and it was fine. Take the Bimmer and enjoy the drive!
LOL. that was an funny pic! I think it shows up in every thread that starts with "Can I drive my M3 in the winter..."
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

It's an amazing drive. I've done it several times and it gets better each time. Just check the CDOT road conditions website before you go for signs of bad conditions, and any mention of icy conditions or snow and waive off. I will say that the road up to Independence Pass (both sides) is really skinny in places without guardrails (with big drops if you go off). In fact on the way down into Aspen it effectively narrows to one lane in places. They take this into consideration when they open the road so I wouldn't worry too much.