E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Pre-09/05 Build E90 with Progman 25.02.00 - MP3 CD Inquiry

06-26-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
JetaTek
Crescent City Evangelist
Rep
Drives: 2006 SG 325i

Garage List
Pre-09/05 Build E90 with Progman 25.02.00 - MP3 CD Inquiry

Background Info: I have a 2006 325i, with a build date of July 2005 and i-Drive. Until today (2007-06-26), I had the original software originally installed on the car. I experienced a "Passenger Restraint Malfunction" error message a few weeks ago, and brought the car into my dealer to get it checked out.

The error turned out to be a faulty sensor in the passenger seat. After replacing the sensor, the service department also had to upgrade me to Progman 25.02.00. I didn't even have to make up a story about pop up arrows.

I can confirm that I have all the functionality outlined in this thread, such as the new blue maps, ability to search for venues by name in Navigation, and the automatic dismissal of the legal jargon startup screen after 5-10 seconds. I'm very pleased with these improvements.

I've used my 60GB iPod with the center console auxiliary jack ever since I purchased the car in September 2005. As such, the lack of MP3 CD/DVD support was never a show stopper.

However, I always kind of desired the functionality so I could leave an MP3 CD in the dash all the time. This would serve as fall back music if I forgot my iPod at the house or didn't feel like bringing it along for a short car ride to the store.

Problem: Having read E90Post.com fairly regularly for the past 2 years, I've been under the impression that my lack of in dash MP3 CD support was a software issue, stemming from the pre-09/05 manufacture date. When I got Progman 25.02.00 installed today, I naturally assumed that in-dash MP3 CD playback functionality would come with it. However, after trying several preexisting MP3 CDs from my collection, in addition to burning a couple of new ones following the instructions listed in this thread, neither of the 2 optical disc drives in my dash seem to detect the MP3 CDs.

In fact, when I try inserting an MP3 CD in the top optical disc drive, the CD option is dark red, indicating that it's not an available input source. When I put a standard CD in the top optical disc drive, the CD option returns to white and the music begins playing automatically.

I thought I could fool the system, by leaving a standard music CD in the top optical disc drive, and then inserting an MP3 CD in the bottom one. With this configuration, the CD option was available as an input source, but when I tried to toggle between CD & DVD on the second menu (I'm calling the second bar from the top that you slide down to access within i-Drive the "second menu" here), it wouldn't allow me to select DVD as the input source. As such, I still could not get the system to detect the MP3 CD.

Questions: By having a pre-09/05 build E90, am I limited by the hardware in some way that prevents me from having in dash MP3 CD/DVD functionality (even with the most current Progman software)?

Has anyone else experienced a similar response to MP3 CD discs inserted into their optical disc drives?

I really appreciate any help/feedback/insight you all can provide. This board has proven to be an invaluable resource over the course of my BMW ownership experience. Thanks to you all.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
ChadS
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

You can have MP3 capability on pre-9/05 models. There is a separate MP3 software retrofit that the dealer needs to do after the Progman update, but you have to ask for it. The progman update alone won't give you the feature.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
ramm
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetaTek View Post
Has anyone else experienced a similar response to MP3 CD discs inserted into their optical disc drives?

I really appreciate any help/feedback/insight you all can provide. This board has proven to be an invaluable resource over the course of my BMW ownership experience. Thanks to you all.
Hi JetaTek,

The above poster is correct. The MP3 fix is separate from any PROGMAN updates. I just had exactly the same "passenger restraint" issue you describe happen to my car, which was built in June 2005, so I took it to my dealer for service. However, I was also armed with the excellent information from another board member, Vivekk (from the UK!), who had posted the actual SIB we needed to claim the dealer for MP3 functionality (it is SIB 65 30 05). The SA at my dealer had the gall to originally say "Oh, MP3 is not compatible with your car," but the service technician set her straight by applying the fix to my car! (God, some of these SAs... argh!) I am happy to report that I now can play MP3 discs in my "early edition" E90!

Here is the link to Vivekk's thread. Print the SIB and bring it in with your your car back to your dealer for the fix. Enjoy!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...25&postcount=1

Last edited by ramm; 06-30-2007 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: Corrected URL
Appreciate 0