2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums ASIA Reverse Camera retrofit (HK spec?)

05-12-2012, 02:10 AM   #1
evilbear8
Rep
Drives: F10 528

Reverse Camera retrofit (HK spec?)

Dear All,

Just recently purchased a 528 without a reverse camera. This vehicle has a 7" screen without business navigation.

Was told by my local BMW dealer that for a reverse camera retrofit, it requires the SA601 part which is a TV tuner. Now i heard previously with BMWs with the CCC idrive that this was required for a reverse camera. But with f10s using CIC, is it still required or my authorised BMW dealer bsing me.

P.S. im located in asia and im pretty sure the spec is spec that is similar to the HK spec (sun roof, sports auto, bare bones).

Thanks in advance.

edit: just want to check if im being scammed to pay for additional parts i dont need just because i want to retrofit a reverse cam.

Last edited by evilbear8; 05-12-2012 at 03:24 AM.. Reason: adding more info
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
AC_S5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 523i

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbear8 View Post
Dear All,

Just recently purchased a 528 without a reverse camera. This vehicle has a 7" screen without business navigation.

Was told by my local BMW dealer that for a reverse camera retrofit, it requires the SA601 part which is a TV tuner. Now i heard previously with BMWs with the CCC idrive that this was required for a reverse camera. But with f10s using CIC, is it still required or my authorised BMW dealer bsing me.

P.S. im located in asia and im pretty sure the spec is spec that is similar to the HK spec (sun roof, sports auto, bare bones).

Thanks in advance.

edit: just want to check if im being scammed to pay for additional parts i dont need just because i want to retrofit a reverse cam.
We have look into the problem for some of the members without the rear cam. Apparently you need more then just the I-Drive monitor to have the rear cam retrofitted. So we are 99% sure you need some other parts or maybe the retrofit is not possible at all.

Someone can chip into to this as well.
2005 E60 523i, 1999 E39 523i, 1998 E46 323i
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
evilbear8
Rep

^
Thanks for the info!

Contemplating on either having my authorised dealer
- retrofit reverse cam (which may end up being a stupid amount as I may have to retrofit the 10.2" idrive for cam);
- m sports aero kit;
- suspension upgrade; or
- rims

Based on forum members experience, what should I really go for? (value based proposition, the reverse cam may not exactly be the best bang for the buck) =S

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
AC_S5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 523i

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbear8 View Post
^
Thanks for the info!

Contemplating on either having my authorised dealer
- retrofit reverse cam (which may end up being a stupid amount as I may have to retrofit the 10.2" idrive for cam);
- m sports aero kit;
- suspension upgrade; or
- rims

Based on forum members experience, what should I really go for? (value based proposition, the reverse cam may not exactly be the best bang for the buck) =S

Thanks in advance!
You don't need the 10.2" monitor for the reverse cam. I have the 7" monitor also and i got reverse cam.

So best bang for bucks I would rate it in this order.

- Rims
- Lower susupension
- M kit
- Reverse cam
2005 E60 523i, 1999 E39 523i, 1998 E46 323i
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
evilbear8
Rep

^
just wanted to update everyone on the reverse camera issue. I had a talk to my authorised dealer and was told they can do it however they do not want to warrant the completeness of their work. Was also told they had done it for 3 other customers. However it would cost an amount which was a bit more than what I wanted to pay. Looking at third party options right now for reverse cams.

Decided to go with Rims & M-kit instead of the RC.

Thx guys
Appreciate 0