E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Edit.. Need Opinions

04-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
i own an e90
chief general
Rep
Drives: e90 white on black manual 6spd

Edit.. Need Opinions

unfortunetly the STANCE SC-5 WHEELS i wanted is backordered for a month and a half....= / so either wait for it for two months or choose from one these ones...LET ME GET UR FINAL OPINIONS FELLAS...SORRY..im very indecisive..

1. WAIT FOR THESE FOR TWO MONTHS stance sc-5 ????

2. TSW NANBURING

3. MMR GT7 .. not really a fan of rivets ..

4. TSW RIVAGE..

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

You'll probably have better results by posting in the Wheels/Tires forum.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
i own an e90
chief general
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
You'll probably have better results by posting in the Wheels/Tires forum.

Tom
tru...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
AC792
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i

Wait!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

WAIT!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
project335i
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Wide Load

None of the above please save your money and buy a quality wheel
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
33beto
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: R.I.P. 08 E90 328i/GM 6L45E

Rivets!

R.I.P 10/14/12
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
project6
TOML Rescue
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

If it is something you want, you will be better off waiting and like the end result as opposed to waffling around if you made the right choice or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
project6
TOML Rescue
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by project335i View Post
What is wrong with the wheels he is selecting from?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
+123981294732984723894
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
project335i
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by project6 View Post
What is wrong with the wheels he is selecting from?
They may look good to some people "not my cup of tea" but the main thing is quality and most of those are cheap wheels. You get what you pay for
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Honestly I would wait it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
project6
TOML Rescue
Rep

Quote:
They may look good to some people "not my cup of tea" but the main thing is quality and most of those are cheap wheels. You get what you pay for
Please elaborate...I know it is not your cup of tea, but what makes you say they are cheap? What makes them cheap? What quantifiable characteristics should they have to make them "quality" wheels. Are there studies conducted regarding these wheels to have them be qualified as "cheap"...I mean, besides the price.

Have you studied the materials and the process used to manufacture these wheels that make them less quality as opposed to what you deem as quality? Whose standards are we using, your opinion or is there an authority on these wheels?

If you are given a set of wheels with all the markings removed and made to appear the same exact way, are you skilled enough to tell which wheel is top quality?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
project335i
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Please elaborate...I know it is not your cup of tea, but what makes you say they are cheap? What makes them cheap? What quantifiable characteristics should they have to make them "quality" wheels. Are there studies conducted regarding these wheels to have them be qualified as "cheap"...I mean, besides the price.

Have you studied the materials and the process used to manufacture these wheels that make them less quality as opposed to what you deem as quality? Whose standards are we using, your opinion or is there an authority on these wheels?

If you are given a set of wheels with all the markings removed and made to appear the same exact way, are you skilled enough to tell which wheel is top quality?

No I have not studied the materials being used in the wheels but in most cases the knock off wheel is more prone to bend or crack rather then a proven manufacturer. I'm just letting the guy know those are not the best quality wheels no matter what you think you get what you pay for. Compare these wheels to a set of HRE or BBS and tell me the quality is really that great. Let alone the you could tell just buy looking at wheel if it's a cheap rim or not finish in paint and polish and so on is very easy to distinguish between the two. I have had both and it's night and day between quality and cheaper rims
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
project6
TOML Rescue
Rep

Quote:
No I have not studied the materials being used in the wheels but in most cases the knock off wheel is more prone to bend or crack rather then a proven manufacturer. I'm just letting the guy know those are not the best quality wheels no matter what you think you get what you pay for. Compare these wheels to a set of HRE or BBS and tell me the quality is really that great. Let alone the you could tell just buy looking at wheel if it's a cheap rim or not finish in paint and polish and so on is very easy to distinguish between the two. I have had both and it's night and day between quality and cheaper rims
Really? Is there data that can stand up to these claim? And stop using that old adage of "you get what you pay for"...it is a very weak argument. BMWs are not cheap and yet they are prone to failures (HPFP for one...maybe a bad example and a weak point just the same), I have vehicles that are more expensive than some people's annual salaries, and yet my Hondas are more reliable...so no...you do not always get what you pay for.

These are wheels, and before they can be sold in the US market, they have to pass a standard that makes them road worthy. They would bend and/or crack at a certain stress level and those are quantifiable. Some manufacturers may go beyond that, but unless there are destructive testings, there really is no way to determine which ones will fail after meeting the DOT standard. Therein lies the rub, they only have to meet a standard and anything beyond that is no longer of consequence.

For example...some of the Chinese manufacturers are getting wise to the "quality" look of products and they are starting to paint and polish some of their products to withstand rigorous visual scrutiny. But subject them to a stress test and they will fail miserably.
Visual evaluation is no longer reliable, not withstanding your personal experiences of course.

You have a personal bias against certain products and those are dictated by your own personal experience and who is to say you are wrong for having those prejudices? My point is, you cannot tell one internet stranger that their choice is wrong because the item they chose is "cheap" or will fail faster than the name brand you like without factual data.

My apologies for calling you out or if I offend you ( I really shouldn't talk, as I am a new member and I'm already busting some balls).

But realize that some of the posters here do not have a boat load of money (like Bieberfan) to spend on their dream cars and most just want to to make their rides look good at a certain budget. If you don't like, it fine, but do not try to dissuade them by implying that their choice is of lesser quality because you do not approve of the brand or because you are willing and have the means to spend more than some.

My experience have taught me that peer pressure/approval regarding a certain brand name's look/appearance is stronger than the actual quality of said brand name. With all the posters here tellng him to wait...would you think he is more or less apt to wait?

Now...somebody please push me off my soapbox!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #16
project335i
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Really? Is there data that can stand up to these claim? And stop using that old adage of "you get what you pay for"...it is a very weak argument. BMWs are not cheap and yet they are prone to failures (HPFP for one...maybe a bad example and a weak point just the same), I have vehicles that are more expensive than some people's annual salaries, and yet my Hondas are more reliable...so no...you do not always get what you pay for.

These are wheels, and before they can be sold in the US market, they have to pass a standard that makes them road worthy. They would bend and/or crack at a certain stress level and those are quantifiable. Some manufacturers may go beyond that, but unless there are destructive testings, there really is no way to determine which ones will fail after meeting the DOT standard. Therein lies the rub, they only have to meet a standard and anything beyond that is no longer of consequence.

For example...some of the Chinese manufacturers are getting wise to the "quality" look of products and they are starting to paint and polish some of their products to withstand rigorous visual scrutiny. But subject them to a stress test and they will fail miserably.
Visual evaluation is no longer reliable, not withstanding your personal experiences of course.

You have a personal bias against certain products and those are dictated by your own personal experience and who is to say you are wrong for having those prejudices? My point is, you cannot tell one internet stranger that their choice is wrong because the item they chose is "cheap" or will fail faster than the name brand you like without factual data.

My apologies for calling you out or if I offend you ( I really shouldn't talk, as I am a new member and I'm already busting some balls).

But realize that some of the posters here do not have a boat load of money (like Bieberfan) to spend on their dream cars and most just want to to make their rides look good at a certain budget. If you don't like, it fine, but do not try to dissuade them by implying that their choice is of lesser quality because you do not approve of the brand or because you are willing and have the means to spend more than some.

My experience have taught me that peer pressure/approval regarding a certain brand name's look/appearance is stronger than the actual quality of said brand name. With all the posters here tellng him to wait...would you think he is more or less apt to wait?

Now...somebody please push me off my soapbox!
Consider yourswelf pushed off, and the Beiberfan reference was great newbie. I'm at work so can't continue and see no need to as both have valid points but when it comes down to it the build quality and materials from BBS HRE etc could not be compared to these companies.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
i own an e90
chief general
Rep

Tsw Nanburing Is Rotary Forge..very Light And Durable
Appreciate 0