E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > A small group can make a difference

04-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

A small group can make a difference

A lot of people say that one person cant make much of a difference or that a small group cant fight a big corporation. They are wrong and I thought I would take a moment to give a very good example that we can all relate to. It may be a bit goofy but I havent had my Lucky Charms yet this morning and my dog wont stop snoring. (Some of you will understand)

When the E90 and E92 first came out many owners had problems with fuel pumps and then turbo lag. As people posted thier expeiences and more threads started it became clear that this was not just a minor issue wth a few cars.
One owner started a thread about the lag and it being the result of a software update 29.2. That thread became oneof the most read threads on the forum for a while. Many theories and ideas were thrown aruond trying to figure it out. A lot of owners scoffed and said there was nothing wrong and just deal with it because that is how the car is.
I am glad to say that they did not follow that advice. At first BMW tried to ignore the problems, then they denied there was a problem and denied that the did anything to the software saying these owners were crazy and did not know what they were talking about. The persistence of this group of owners eventually lead to the story getting international media attention through Nightline. At that point BMW admitted that the software had been changed and the cars detuned. They did an emissions recall.
Sounded good but didnt fix the problem.
While this was going on several people suggested a class action suit. Other said this was overreacting and the cars were just fine. They were wrong about that. Not oo long after this there were announcements of class action suits for problems with the wastegates, fuel pumps and turbos. This went on for years with support and criticism from different owners on the forums. Some say it was a waste of time and only the attorneys would benefit, other supported it saying it holds BMW accountable.
Last week the class action was settled. It isnt getting everyone a new BMW, it wont make anyone rich(even the lawyers who worked on the case for 2, 3, or more years) but what it did do was to show that consumers can and should holds companies accountable for the products they make and sell. We should not accept inferior products and just live with them. As a result of the owners getting together BMW extended the fuel pump warranty and that would not have happened if these people had not been persistent and determined. Whether you agreed with them or not you receive the benefits of their work( and at times it was a lot of work).
I would like to thank the people who did take the time to post and write letters to BMW and the NHTSA. The ones who answered the hundreds of questions from other owners about the problems. The ones who spent many hours trying to figure out why this was happening and the ones who had to talk to the same people(Jared and friends) at BMW and get the runaround but didnt give up. and thanks to the original 6.
This may sound corny and a little over the top but think about it, this was a bunch of people that did not even know each other that had a common interest and met on an internet forum,, who stood up against one of the top car makers in the world and won. Thats pretty cool.
If we, as consumers, do not hold companies accountable for the quality of the goods they produce, that level will drop. When that happens we will have noone to blame but ourselves.
      04-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
nice write up I hate to say I showed up to this forum after this mess was resolved but glad it was resolved!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
MrXia8
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, 328i

I thought that fuel pump warranty was extended a long time ago..? Regardless, those problems prevented me from purchasing a 335i and I opted for the 328i instead. I still don't see how extending the warranty is a permanent fix. They still have not RESOLVED the main problem. Good job on getting it settled though!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Sidney
Dishonorably discharged
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i 6MT

OP all this caused you to jump to Audi, I presume?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
bmwforme
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
OP all this caused you to jump to Audi, I presume?
great right up but thought the same thing..

Pics of the TT RS though?!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Well said
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

No, I had 2 335s but something about the styling of the new 335 did look right to me, plus I wanted a change. Had 335s since 2007 and may end up with one again. In that orice range there really are not many cars that give that kind of low end power and handle as well that are also comfortable. Since the 335 I have had a 08 M6, 08 CLS 63 AMG(that is a plush rocket), and 2 TT RS. Just seeing what else is out there not necessarily jumping ship.
      04-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
Bulldog 6
The Logistician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M-Sport

Garage List
2007 328i E90  [0.00]
So is the HPFP failure fixed or just an extended warranty on the part?
Appreciate 0