E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Warranty items that need doing - noob questions!

04-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Warranty items that need doing - noob questions!

I've never had a warranty on a car before so am a little unsure on what the process is exactly for getting things sorted at the dealer...

Do I -

1 - Take it into the dealership and say I want these problems fixing under warranty
2 - Take it into the dealership and say I have these problems - they investigate then fix it/charge me for the time if they can't replicate/agree

...and with either of the above can I leave them a list of 2/3 things that need sorting or do they need to be booked/paid/fixed seperately?

Apologies for the daft questions
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

What problems do you have?

Is the warranty manufacturers or extended warranty?

The garage will carry out their own investigation to see what the fault is. Phone up and make an appointment firstly.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
DMH-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

Phone the dealer your looking to book with and explain to them the problems. Tell them you have a warranty and they should be able to confirm if it will be covered, although sometimes they need to investigate further.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

It depends if this is a new car warranty or extended warranty.

New car warranty.

Call the dealer you bought it from and book it in. They fix it for free and give you your car back. Sometimes they may try to argue the toss over whether it's a warranty item or wear and tear but for a car still under the 3 year original warranty, this should be an easy argument for you to win unless you've really abused your car and they can prove the failure was caused by your abuse.

Extended Warranty

Call your dealer and book it in. They will attempt to diagnose the fault which you will usually end up paying for. They will then fix it under warranty or tell you it's not covered and ask if you want to pay to fix it. Sometimes you are lucky and they will just fix it and sometimes you'll have to try to argue your case. The extended warranty isn't underwritten by BMW themselves but another company so it's usually a little harder to get stuff sorted for free under the extended warranty. Either way you usually end up paying for at least the initial diagnosis part out of your own pocket which could be several hundred quid.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post

Call your dealer and book it in. They will attempt to diagnose the fault which you will usually end up paying for. They will then fix it under warranty or tell you it's not covered and ask if you want to pay to fix it. Sometimes you are lucky and they will just fix it and sometimes you'll have to try to argue your case. The extended warranty isn't underwritten by BMW themselves but another company so it's usually a little harder to get stuff sorted for free under the extended warranty. Either way you usually end up paying for at least the initial diagnosis part out of your own pocket which could be several hundred quid.
I think your last bit is a bit wrong.

Loads of people have had work carried out without shelling.out.several hundred pounds.

Most people speak highly of the extended warranty and wouldn't if it was costing.hundreds of pounds every claim.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
Ste133
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

To the OP, great post, I wasn't sure what I would have to do if I ever get in this situation.

I hope the extended warranty is as good as people say it is. I have it on my car and I've happily not had to use it *touch wood*

It's a piece of mind thing...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post

Loads of people have had work carried out without shelling.out.several hundred pounds.

Most people speak highly of the extended warranty and wouldn't if it was costing.hundreds of pounds every claim.
I hope you're right Kerr!

I should have said it is >3yrs old with an AUC warranty which is (I gather) the main dealer extended as opposed to the one you buy after a lapse? Not that I'm sure it makes too much difference

Problems I want looking at are only little things but annoying nonetheless

- Rear bulb holder reporting light failure but all lights fine - found a TSB to say it's a known issue and should be replaced
- Seat belt assist things only picking up belt 50% of time at best as belt appears worn at edges where it has been picked previously
- One exhaust looks like it sits about a cm lower than the other (maybe just needs bracket (?) tightening?

It's due an MOT in July so I'm hoping if I mention the belt thing it may prompt them to fix that, the brake lights still work so it will pass in that respect.

I think as it is less than 12months into AUC I also have MOT cover which covers a few things (like bulbs coincidentally) that aren't normally covered under the warranty itself

Thanks for all your answers too btw
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
Guvernator
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I've not had to use the AUC extended warranty on the 335i yet but this is based on past experience from previous BMW's as well as other German marques I have owned. Maybe the BMW warranty is better now.

I guess I'll soon find out how good (or not) they are as I have booked mine in for them to look at a very annoying rattle which has developed in the cab roof and is driving me insane!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

The warranty does not cover rattles or squeaks.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
DarkAnt335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 C2S & '118D

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [0.00]
From my experience;

Defiantly call before hand and book all items in to be looked at. Normally they will ask for the car for the day and either offer one of their loan cars or source a car from a rental company at a nominal fee, if it that what you require.

In terms of internal rattles and squeaks generally thats not covered unless its a new car.

But mechanical rattles and squeaks they should look at FOC.

Originally had the 335i booked in with 1 BMW Franchise who said there is possibly a diagnosis fee of £60

But booked in at another franchise for next week for 4 items, under the AUC warranty with no mention of a diagnosis fee;

Squeaky Passenger seat
Metallic rattle (sounds like wastegates to me)
Front tyres loosing about 8psi every 2 weeks, possible cracks
Orange Battery light comes on periodically, about 2-3 times a week

I also booked it in for an oil and filter change even though its not due for 3800miles. Labour only £72 as i'm supplying the oil.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #12
Tak1986
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Recently dealt with my local dealer as the car suffering coolant leak, turns out to be a broken water pump, glad I opt for the extended warranty, and only paying the excess and all hassle free.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
Guvernator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The warranty does not cover rattles or squeaks.
I'd usually agree but this is coming from the convertible roof so I am hoping it might be covered. Sounds like something has come loose although the roof still works fine. I can only give it a go and see what they say. Who knows they may surprise me and fix it for free in which case I'll be singing the praises of the extended warranty.

Either way what ever it is I'll need to have it fixed as it's driving me mental at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #14
john-vfr
spender of the kids inheritance
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW xdrive touring

Smile warranty

My experience of this was very positive with stockport BMW dealer. I bought a 2009 cara few weeks ago, it has warranty till july and came from a non bmw dealer. It was originally bought from Preston main agents so Stockport had no pevious interest in the car, but when I turned up at their parts department for a few little bits their storeman took me to see their service department because he checked the warranty date and said it should still qualify. Booked in fo a couple of days later...door seal,load cover, dashboard air vents(center and nearside one) all renewed no problem. Maybe they just want the future servicing to be done there but well pleased with them .Just walk in and ask I say...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #15
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

For extended warranty (>3 yrs) there is normally a £99 initial hour's diagnosis cost, which is refundable if the problem is covered by the extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #16
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

I've had loads of warranty work done, much of it AUC 'extended warranty', and never, ever, been asked to pay a diagnosis fee.
Appreciate 0