E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Thinking of picking up a 2009 335i coupe

04-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
nick227
Rep
Drives: none right now

Thinking of picking up a 2009 335i coupe

Alright, this is my first post and it's a long one, so bare with me.

I am going to most likely be purchasing a BMW coupe around this time next year, and i'm hoping to get a 335i.

Now, this car will be paid for by my parents and my grandparents (probably flamebaiting myself here, but whatever), as I am 17 currently. Now, I have many family members in the auto and service industry, and will be purchasing my car from Manheim auction most likely, for around $25-30k. I really want to pickup a 335i, but after seeing all the horror stories on here, i'm not so sure.

Now, here's the catch. Since I an uncle who own's a dealership (not a BMW dealership though) as well as a relative who is the founder of one of the largest garage franchises in Canada (prefer not to say which), I can get my repairs for very cheap. All it would cost me is the wholesale cost of parts for repair, and labour would be free the vast majority of the time for me. I would also do many repairs myself, and with my father.

For any issues, that cannot be repaired at a general garage or dealership, or by myself, I also have connections at a BMW dealerships to get slight discounts and things like that. I also would have a fund of about $7k saved for any such major repairs.

Do you think this is enough to warrant a 335i as a reasonable purchase for me? LOL

I would also get a 335i with a bit of warranty left on it if possible, have a mechanic at one of the families shop check it out and then replace everything possbile before the warranty expired.

I will also most likely keep this car for about 3-4 years and then sell it, so I am hoping to buy one after the initial large depreciation hit of 4 years for that reason.

Any advice? Thoughts?

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
oldblue
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Garage List
DO IT !

no reason not to.

mike
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
nick227
Rep

would there be a lot of problems that a general dealership/garage would not be able to fix on there own? Is my repair fund big enough lol?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

No. Have your parents and grandparents get you a nice VW Jetta and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
nick227
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
No. Have your parents and grandparents get you a nice VW Jetta and call it a day.
Can we stay on the topic of repairs and such? It was actually my father's idea to get me a BMW as a gift, and I actually suggested other cars out of fear of maintenance (domestics) and he genuinenly tells me to get the BMW (obviously i'm not going to object lol)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Don't do it. You're already EXPECTING problems so you'll NEVER enjoy it. You'll be looking for thing to go wrong that don't happen to most and always worry something will happen. Get a 328 and enjoy you're ride.
      04-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

I would get a 328i coupe. You can get one with lower miles
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
^ what he said. Reliable engine, exceptional car.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #9
Gator328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92 328i

I remember when teenagers (myself included) had to work menial, entry level jobs just to buy a beater for their first car. Now kids are having nearly brand new BMWs just handed to them.

And we wonder why this generation has an entitlement problem. Why get a job when you can have it given to you? Thanks mom and dad!
      04-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
nick227
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator328i
I remember when teenagers (myself included) had to work menial, entry level jobs just to buy a beater for their first car. Now kids are having nearly brand new BMWs just handed to them.

And we wonder why this generation has an entitlement problem. Why get a job when you can have it given to you? Thanks mom and dad!
I do work myself (hence the repair fund I stated), it's just a gift from my parents. My grandparents bought my parents, uncles etc cars when they graduated, my cousins got cars etc so I don't see the problem as long as they have to pay their own maintenance, insurance, gas etc with parents buying their children gifts of they can afford them?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
EuroE92
Second Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator328i View Post

i agree. I remember when I was 16 and I was talking about this subject with my parents.

Parents: So now that you have your permit are you excited to drive?
Me: Yea I can't wait until I am 17 and get my licence.
Parents: Do you want a car when your 17?
Me: Of course
Parents: Then you better get a job.
Me: It will take forever with minimum wage.
Parents: Then you better get another job then.

Result: Worked 2 jobs when I was 16 to save up for my first car. Honda Civic lol
      04-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
EuroE92
Second Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick227 View Post
I do work myself (hence the repair fund I stated), it's just a gift from my parents. My grandparents bought my parents, uncles etc cars when they graduated, my cousins got cars etc so I don't see the problem as long as they have to pay their own maintenance, insurance, gas etc with parents buying their children gifts of they can afford them?
IMO dont get a 335 cause like others said if your starting a "repair fund" already your going to be to paranoid about it breaking down to enjoy the ride.
      04-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
nick227
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroE92
Quote:
IMO dont get a 335 cause like others said if your starting a "repair fund" already your going to be to paranoid about it breaking down to enjoy the ride.
I agree with that completely, can anyone chime in if there are any problems which cannot be fixed by a general mechanic and need to be taken to a BMW dealer? For both the 328i and 335i
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #14
unrealii
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 335 E93 6MT

Garage List
You're 17. Any car you get will get beaten/dinged up. Keep that in mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #15
nick227
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealii
You're 17. Any car you get will get beaten/dinged up. Keep that in mind.
I won't be 17, I'll be 19 when I get it (next year). Not that it really makes much difference, but it won't be my first car, I'm driving a 2012 Dodge Journey and then I'll be driving a Fiat 500 until I get this car most likely
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #16
RCS328
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335iMT; 06 330iAT; 16X5s35

I am in the same situation, sort of. This would be my 3rd Bimmer and I really want a 335i coupe or 135i for that matter but it is a bit too small. I just turned 40 though so I am a bit older than you. I understand about the maintenance issues. My 99 328i, the 1st one, I could work on myself, easy.... The 06 330i e90, screw that, I change the oil and filters and other minor things, other than that to the dealership it goes. On a good note it has only been in once since I bought it, for a rear window lock, I have had it now for four years. It is the luck of the draw man, I am in the process of looking and out of the three I have test drove I could just tell more by looking at the owners that I did not want their car than by driving the car itself. I am looking at auctions too, sort of worried about that aspect, not being able to assess the previous owner.
Perfect solution to this would be the 255hp engine in my 330i in a coupe. I wish BMW would have brought that engine to NA, it has been bulletproof. Just make sure you get a manual if you go the 328i route.
You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and planning ahead is good so I wish you luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #17
nick227
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS328 View Post
I am in the same situation, sort of. This would be my 3rd Bimmer and I really want a 335i coupe or 135i for that matter but it is a bit too small. I just turned 40 though so I am a bit older than you. I understand about the maintenance issues. My 99 328i, the 1st one, I could work on myself, easy.... The 06 330i e90, screw that, I change the oil and filters and other minor things, other than that to the dealership it goes. On a good note it has only been in once since I bought it, for a rear window lock, I have had it now for four years. It is the luck of the draw man, I am in the process of looking and out of the three I have test drove I could just tell more by looking at the owners that I did not want their car than by driving the car itself. I am looking at auctions too, sort of worried about that aspect, not being able to assess the previous owner.
Perfect solution to this would be the 255hp engine in my 330i in a coupe. I wish BMW would have brought that engine to NA, it has been bulletproof. Just make sure you get a manual if you go the 328i route.
You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and planning ahead is good so I wish you luck.
Definitely will take both out for a test drive, before hand, as well as an Audi or a MB possibly (don't attack me guys lol), and probably some Domestics as well (Mustang, Camaro, Challenger), before I make the decision.

Also, definitely will go for the 6MT over the auto as I will be driving a manual car starting in the summer to get good at it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #18
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Definitely will take both out for a test drive, before hand, as well as an Audi or a MB possibly (don't attack me guys lol), and probably some Domestics as well (Mustang, Camaro, Challenger), before I make the decision.

Also, definitely will go for the 6MT over the auto as I will be driving a manual car starting in the summer to get good at it.
buy the 328i. Less bullshit, more reliable and enough power, especially in manual.