E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My car was hit!! Best route ?

04-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Je90win
Private
Rep
Drives: e90

My car was hit!! Best route ?

Unfortunately, my car was hit while parked in a lot. I guess a car underestimated the turn and overshot and hit the side of my car. There is a long gash along the doors and front/back fenders. No notes, no witnesses.

I got my insurance inspection done and they cut me a check. I have a deductible of 500 or 1k I believe. What is the best possible way to go about this or just pay deductible and let insurance/bodyshop deal with it. Thx
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
CUTigers
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 335i

Garage List
2008 Lexus IS F  [10.00]
2008 e90 335i  [9.00]
I don't think there is much you can do... Sounds like it will be expensive. I would just pay it if it is barely over your deductible, but if it is a good amount. Just go through insurance and choose your shop
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
BreakPoint
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

report it. its a hit and run. youre not at fault. have your insurance handle it.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUTigers View Post
I don't think there is much you can do... Sounds like it will be expensive. I would just pay it if it is barely over your deductible, but if it is a good amount. Just go through insurance and choose your shop
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
seether4113
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Garage List
Happened to me twice in 3 months. Nothing you can do... just file a police report and then it goes under uninsured motorist / hit and run insurance. In TX, that results in an automatic $250 deductible.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

any pics of the damage?
lmk if you need any body parts, I can get them for you with my 40% discount.
      04-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
Je90win
Private
Rep

Thing is insurance already cut me a check. Wondering if I should approach the shop with the approach that I am paying out of pocket and not insurance so they don't gouge me.

Hopefully, with that approach I'll save a bit on my deductible or limit my out of pocket expenses. Not sure...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
well if your going through insurance then i guess you already know what to do. find a reputable shop. or a sneaky shop that can order you performance parts rather then OEM. Might as well make your car look better!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #9
nosmo72
No Way
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi 6MT

Garage List
2008 335XI  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Je90win View Post
Thing is insurance already cut me a check. Wondering if I should approach the shop with the approach that I am paying out of pocket and not insurance so they don't gouge me.

Hopefully, with that approach I'll save a bit on my deductible or limit my out of pocket expenses. Not sure...
Sorry to hear that.

I took that approach when someone hit and run my old Mustang. My deductible was $500 at the time. I let them know the what happened after they gave me the estimate and asked if there was anything they could do to help me out. Their estimate was $400 more than the insurance check and they agreed to do the work for the amount of the check. Sure....I guess the amount of damage plays a role but it's probably worth a shot. What do you got to loose.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 01:47 AM   #10
Je90win
Private
Rep

Do you think it'd be better to inform them I went through insurance or that I'm paying out of pocket? Not sure if there are pros and cons to that or the estimate would be the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 02:05 AM   #11
bmwtechray
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335d

Take it to a body shop and pay Ur deductible is the best thing to do, unless the repair cost is less than Ur deductible which this is never the case in an accident in a BMW. and don't cash that check the insurance company's always under pay and in most cases the shop will find hidden damage that the insurance didn't see and didn't pay u to fix !!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
Taxvictim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, Titanium Silver 6MT

Check your policy to see if you have Uninsured Motorist Coverage. That pays full damage for any hit-and-run collisions. No deductible. Your insurance company will not mention this unless you bring it up first.

Take the car to a decent repair shop. If the cost of repairs go over your insurance carrier's estimate, a shop with a good reputation will already know to call the adjuster and tell them what other damage they found. The insurance company will then pay the overage.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #13
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Do you think it'd be better to inform them I went through insurance or that I'm paying out of pocket? Not sure if there are pros and cons to that or the estimate would be the same.
My experience with comprehensive claims has been to inform the body shop. That way, my shop accepts the insurance figure (+ any deductible) but if additional damage is discovered, they will work directly with my insurance co. to cover it.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #14
Nr!qUe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI 328i 6MT

whatever you do DO NOT GO TO AN OFFICIAL BMW BODY SHOP

I had a corner hit in a parking lot. I had to return to the shop 3 times to make adjustments to the repair. Please take it to a reputable independent body shop. i got so many headaches with FRIGGIN SOUTH MOTORS COLLISION CENTER
2009 BMW E90 328i | Xenons | MT | Space Gray | Beige-ette | CF Fabric Trim | iPod/USB | 20% Tints | Euro-Plate | Rear Fog Switch Lego Mod | Painted Reflectors | Performance Short-shift Kit | Style 197 Wheels | OEM Sport Suspension |
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
Je90win
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nr!qUe View Post
whatever you do DO NOT GO TO AN OFFICIAL BMW BODY SHOP

I had a corner hit in a parking lot. I had to return to the shop 3 times to make adjustments to the repair. Please take it to a reputable independent body shop. i got so many headaches with FRIGGIN SOUTH MOTORS COLLISION CENTER
Was the official bmw body shop part of a dealership, as in in-house or endorsed? I am conflicted between a high end collision repair shop that does exotics and an in house bmw collision center. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
Je90win
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxvictim View Post
Check your policy to see if you have Uninsured Motorist Coverage. That pays full damage for any hit-and-run collisions. No deductible. Your insurance company will not mention this unless you bring it up first.

Take the car to a decent repair shop. If the cost of repairs go over your insurance carrier's estimate, a shop with a good reputation will already know to call the adjuster and tell them what other damage they found. The insurance company will then pay the overage.
I've mentioned it to my insurance carrier. I was told that in the state of Ca, I'd have to find the motorist that hit me and they have to confirm that they indeed don't have insurance. Very frustrating in my case as no one left a note.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #17
Taxvictim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, Titanium Silver 6MT

This from a California lawyer's page:

"However, you should be aware that uninsured property damage does not apply to hit-and-run accidents. The reason for this is that, because the deductible for UM property damage is usually less than the deductible for collision coverage, drivers may be tempted to tell the insurance company that the car was damaged in a hit-and-run when that is not the case. There is also the possibility that the motorist will purchase uninsured motorist property damage but not collision coverage. For this reason, you may wish to have collision coverage on your insurance policy."

I was wrong.

I don't suppose the businesses or the parking lot had any security cameras? Might be able to see what cars were around when the damage happened, if not the actual incident itself.

Last edited by Taxvictim; 04-20-2012 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #18
Nr!qUe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Was the official bmw body shop part of a dealership, as in in-house or endorsed? I am conflicted between a high end collision repair shop that does exotics and an in house bmw collision center. Thanks.
The official bodyshop was not part of the dealership. It was about a mile away. However if you were to walk into service and ask them for a repair they would send it to that body shop.

I'd go with the high-end shop that specializes in exotic cars. The reason people go must be because they actually do good work. However the InHouse collision center gets customers because BMW sends them there.
2009 BMW E90 328i | Xenons | MT | Space Gray | Beige-ette | CF Fabric Trim | iPod/USB | 20% Tints | Euro-Plate | Rear Fog Switch Lego Mod | Painted Reflectors | Performance Short-shift Kit | Style 197 Wheels | OEM Sport Suspension |
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #19
Je90win
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nr!qUe View Post
The official bodyshop was not part of the dealership. It was about a mile away. However if you were to walk into service and ask them for a repair they would send it to that body shop.

I'd go with the high-end shop that specializes in exotic cars. The reason people go must be because they actually do good work. However the InHouse collision center gets customers because BMW sends them there.
Trying to figure out if a dedicated bmw collision center that specializes in BMW is better than a high end body shop. Not sure if that is another thread topic.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #20
Nr!qUe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Trying to figure out if a dedicated bmw collision center that specializes in BMW is better than a high end body shop. Not sure if that is another thread topic.
I was just giving some advice.
To answer the original question: pay the deductible, get your car fixed and move on. Dassit
Appreciate 0