E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Do I NEED to go to dealer?

04-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
Tucker020
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E93

Do I NEED to go to dealer?

Hey guys....bought myself an '07 E93 with only 21K miles on it (couldn't believe it either). 1 week in I make a trip to the store and a plastic bottle of chocolate milk rolled out of sack and of course made it's way under the seat. After 3 days in Texas heat my nose discovered it. So....knowing full well a little Resolve and Febreeze wouldn't do the trick; I pulled out the passengers seat to go through a week long process of cleaning it (If anyone would like to know how, I'd be more than happy to help...it now smells like new 3 weeks after last treatment and many 85+ degree days). I knew full and well that if the computer turned on without the seat harness plugged in that I would get a code. However, this is my daily driver and I wasn't about to load and unload the seat everyday. I have my Cobb being delivered tomorrow, which allows me to clear codes as you all well know. Question is, with this particular code dealing with the airbag; is there anything else that the dealer would need to do other than clearing the code? I called for a quote and the guy said $50, because there was more to it than just clearing the code. However, I don't know if he was just blowing smoke. Basically I don't want to clear the code just to get the warning to go away, and lord forbid have a wreck and the airbag not deploy because something else had to be set. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Yes....I searched.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

You can't clear a hard errror

If you clear the error and there is something still wrong the error
will come back.
So you might as well try to clear it yourself.
I don't know the details of the circuit but the general nature of these
things are they go through a check routine every time you power up.
If you really want to run the test dissconnect it again after clearing the code and see if it faults again.
I don't know how the airbag works in a BMW but in other cars its just
a resistance check.
Did you short out your under seat speaker.
People on the Audio Board do this all the time as far as
generating and resetting the airbag error.
Do a search on airbag error in the DIY section.

Last edited by ctuna; 04-18-2012 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Tucker020
Private
Rep

Thanks for the quick reply. Speaker worked while I had seat out and still works now. Ill go ahead and clear the code and see what happens. I'll post results here afterwards for others. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 01:01 AM   #4
Tucker020
Private
Rep

Cobb cleared the code. No sign of it coming back after multiple starts and stops.
Appreciate 0