E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Please Help. Water Leak.

04-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Please Help. Water Leak.

Hi guys, it rained all day yesterday, and I went out to the car today and noticed large amounts of water on the passenger side floor. Any Ideas? Im going to the dealer tuesday.

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Check if the drain system under the hood isn't clogged with anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
Check if the drain system under the hood isn't clogged with anything.
There isnt, thank you though
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

your windshield cowl is leaking. water is getting in past it and then going thru the firewall where the outside air comes thru for the AC system.

water is dripping on your blower motor, it will rust and fail in the next year. remove the microfilter and look inside that area for water.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
your windshield cowl is leaking. water is getting in past it and then going thru the firewall where the outside air comes thru for the AC system.

water is dripping on your blower motor, it will rust and fail in the next year. remove the microfilter and look inside that area for water.
This is happening to me. My car sat outside yesterday in the rain and there is a wet patch, nowhere as bad, but still wet in the same spot as OP's.

Is there a fix either than a bottle of lube and a trip to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Oh no. Do you think the dealer will know this and replace the motor?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
virtualhemant
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:

You are bang on right. I am facing the same problem. I figured that the cowl was not fixed properly, so I fixed it myself. However the center of the cowl won't snap in. It has a little gap which would shrink in the evening (snug fit) and would expand in the afternoon. What is the solution? Should I replace the cowl? I have heard that BMW has TSB for this but couldn't locate it anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Oh no. Do you think the dealer will know this and replace the motor?
Late reply but if you keep records and the fan motor ever does go bad because of a rusted bearing, it seems you would have some kind of case for a replacement. Mine made a lot of noise, high pitched squealing.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Late reply but if you keep records and the fan motor ever does go bad because of a rusted bearing, it seems you would have some kind of case for a replacement. Mine made a lot of noise, high pitched squealing.
I probably should have updated this thread.

I took it to the dealer, and it ended up being a seal in the actual door panel, that was missing/broken and allowed water to enter in through it. The AC was not related in my case. They replaced the cabin air filter, and all smells went away.

Just recently however, I did notice a squealing sound like you describe when I first turn on the AC from outside the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualhemant View Post
You are bang on right. I am facing the same problem. I figured that the cowl was not fixed properly, so I fixed it myself. However the center of the cowl won't snap in. It has a little gap which would shrink in the evening (snug fit) and would expand in the afternoon. What is the solution? Should I replace the cowl? I have heard that BMW has TSB for this but couldn't locate it anywhere.
If i remember right, the cowl has a tongue that sort of snaps into a groove directly below the windshield (it runs left to right, the entire width of the windshield). I gently tapped mine in with a rubber mallet (i don't recommend this because if you tap the edge of the windshield you will fuck it up). Anyway, this got it to pop in. I also went crazy with silicone caulk, before I put the cowl on. I ran a very thick bead underneath the cowl, above that snap in piece. I also used it where the windshield and cowl meet. In retrospect, maybe a new cowl would have been easier.
Appreciate 0