E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What to look for on test drive?

11-01-2005, 10:23 AM   #1
GoBonesGo
What do you do when you see a spaceman?
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG/Terra E90 335i Step

What to look for on test drive?

Howdy,

I'm planning on test driving an e90 (330i) this weekend, after stopping at the Lexus dealership on the way to drive an IS350. Is there anything specific that I should be looking for that would highlight the differences in handling or is it more of a seat-of-your-pants feel thing?

I've never driven either, so I don't really have any prejudices for/against either. I'm obviously expecting the Lexus to be quicker. Can the e90's (reportedly) superior handling characteristics be felt during normal driving or only closer to the limit?

There are other, non-driving, characteristics that I will be evaluating, such as how i fit (I'm 6'3"), whether my daughters' carseats fit, and perceived construction quality, but I wanted to get some test drive advice from people who are in the know.

Thanks,
Charlie
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
Yaajer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ActiveHybrid 3, X5

Just drive both, and plus the g35 maybe, and see which one you like best. To each his own.

Make sure you drive each car for an extended amount of time to really get a feel for it.

Everyone here on this board are BMW enthusiasts..so we're all pretty biased and probably prefer a BMW. If price is not a factor, once you get into the BMW, you will not want to get out.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 11:18 AM   #3
GoBonesGo
United_States
Rep

Well, that's basically the plan. I'm driving an '04 G35 sedan now and I'm just looking for something with a few of the doodads I didn't opt for or weren't available when I got my car (nav, keyless start, satellite radio, bluetooth, etc.) and preferably fewer sqeaks and rattles.

Looks-wise, although I like the looks of my G35, it blends in with the crowd a bit too much and doesn't have the more stately/classic look of the BMW.

And after 15 months of driving my car, I still am not used to the radio and A/C controls, which were never changed from the right-drive version of the car. A small thing, for sure, but beauty is in the details.

I guess I'll see how it feels this weekend.

Charlie
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 11:19 AM   #4
2006bmw
First Class Privates
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

It's hard to really tell much in a five-minute test drive, which is how long my G35 test drive was. On my 330 test drive, the salesman took me out to some twisties right next to the dealership. While he was demonstrating what the car can do, he was cranking along at 80 mph - down the street. He then had me drive and encouraged me to really drive. He was convinced (correctly) that if driven hard, the car sells itself. Nothing like hitting triple digits on the test drive When I got out of the bimmer, I had to have it.

Moral of the story--try to find a salesperson who's willing to let you drive the car hard for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 11:25 AM   #5
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
i test drove a g35 coupe, pushed it and ddint really feel the love. the 330i, i did the sme and feel in love with it. both cars was about a 5 min test drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 04:13 PM   #6
GoBonesGo
United_States
Rep

I've heard enough stories and read enough reviews to believe that the e90 is the sedan to beat when going full-tilt, but does it hold the same sort of advantage in day-to-day driving? That's where I'll be spending most of my time.

Don't get me wrong, it'll get flogged now and then, but not quite as much as it'll get driven "normally".
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 04:23 PM   #7
Atty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 X5 48i M-Sport

Garage List
Most dealer ridealongs are set up to follow the best, smoothest roads. Plus, if you read the inside article about dealers posted some time ago, salesmen talk incessantly during the test drive on purpose, to distract you from focusing on the car.

Best bet is to find a salesman that will just hand you the keys adn let you take the car by yourself so you can drive down roads you know well; don't let the salesman pick the roads.

BTW, have you considered the Cimarron by Cadillac? Oops, I mean the Catera; - I mean CTS
      11-01-2005, 04:51 PM   #8
GoBonesGo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atty
BTW, have you considered the Cimarron by Cadillac? Oops, I mean the Catera; - I mean CTS
Actually, I almost bought a CTS-V a couple months ago, but another saleman sold it out from under the guy I was working with. I pissed me off at the time, but it was mostly an impulse thing, so I let the idea go after it didn't work out.

I quite like the idea of an unaccompanied test drive. I'll see if they go for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 02:36 AM   #9
orso
Rep
Drives: 330i TiAg, 6 sp, ZSP, Prem etc

test drive

my sales person had a five minute drive or so laid out that included normal streets, highways and some tight turns as well as a place to accelerate up hill. the layout gave me a pretty good feel for a range of road and traffic conditions. it did not take much to sell me, I must say. other than tell me where to go, he didn't say much unless I had a question. after driving the C350 MB Sport Edition earlier in the day I was expecting something similar and was really taken aback at how much better the 330i was.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 02:58 AM   #10
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Several things to look out for on your testdrive, preferably over half an hour or more by yourself:

1. Ride and handling: There is something magical about the 50:50 weight distribution that contributes to the impeccable balance between ride and handling of the 3. The moment you take a turn, even at the posted speed limit, you will quickly realize that neither the G35 nor the IS350 comes close to this. It just begs you to go faster around that corner that you just took.

2. Engine flexibility: Max torque available as low as 2750 rpms, compared to 4000 for the other two cars, means more low end push sooner.

3. Steptronic auto tranny: Much better than the G35's, can't comment on the IS350.

4. Body construction: Much more solid than the other 2 cars. Just slam the doors/trunk/engine lid and you'll know what I mean.
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 03:28 AM   #11
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
When I test drive, I do the following procedure.

Get in the car, spend few minutes with the interior. Try/use all the options/features/functions available. Reach for all the controls/compartments, the glove box, use the arm rest, window controls, check all the switches and buttons, and adjust the seat position/steering wheel/side mirrors.

Go for a drive, spend few minutes on the highway(straight road). Check the noise level in the cabin, any disturbing lights/buttons that might bother you, look around for visibility, look at the rear view/side view mirrors to see if you like how they project the views, feel the gas pedal, and see if you are comfortably sitting in your seats(long drive capability).

Take a quick local road drive or if your salesman is nice enough to let you go for a mountain/curvy road experience, do not hesistate. Take those corners not too hard, but push it until the point where you will be able to feel the handling of the car and visualize the vehicle's potential. Feel those brakes working, engine response when you immediately step on the gas pedal while you are coming out of that corner, steering feel when you turn, any noticible body roll or under/over steer you do not like, and how those wheel/tire combo are gripping for you.

Come back to the dealership, see if you had any "?" sign coming up in your mind during the test drive, and then ask yourself a question. "Did I enjoy that car? Was it the one for me?"

Last of all, don't be fooled by numbers on the paper or advices from mis-informed sales person. Let YOU decide which car you like better.

This is almost exactly what I did, and thats why I love almost everything about my car. I still regret regarding few features(that I didn't like), that I should have checked out during the test drive which I forgot to do so. Try to look for small things first, organize them together at the end to get a bigger picture of it.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 08:40 AM   #12
GoBonesGo
United_States
Rep

Thanks, Lux and visor.

Lux, I usually end up forgoing the detailed evaluation that you laid out because I feel rushed or put off by the sales person. I don't care for dealing with sales people in general, only because I like to work at my own pace.

I don't think I've ever been on a test drive without the saleman taggin along, but I don't think I've ever asked, either. I think it would make it easier for me to make the right decision for me and not be swayed by what the saleman thinks should be important to me.

Charlie
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 09:02 AM   #13
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i, 08 328xi

I never let a salesperson go on a test drive with me. If I wanted to yak all day long I'd call an operator. Besides that - it helps me to test the car on separate occasions- I stop in one day and take it for a quick drive, tell the salesman I have to get to a meeting and I will stop back when I have more time. Then I come back a few days later and the salesman, now knowing me a little better, will usually let you take the car for 1/2 hour or so. Plus when you test the second time you’re not as blinded by the shiny paint and clean/new interior and you’re better able to determine the car’s strengths / weaknesses. It’s easy to overlook flaws in handling and build quality the first time you step foot in the car, but after being in it a few times I’m better able to point these things out. I owned a G35 and I prefer the 3 in every respect except for interior room. I’ve yet to drive the new IS…

Take your time test driving – don’t buy a car after spending 5 minutes with it – you’ll have to live with it for years.

06 325i. IT'S HERE!- 08 E92 328xi, Premium, Auto, Cold- Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 09:34 AM   #14
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35_2_330
Howdy,

I'm planning on test driving an e90 (330i) this weekend, after stopping at the Lexus dealership on the way to drive an IS350. Is there anything specific that I should be looking for that would highlight the differences in handling or is it more of a seat-of-your-pants feel thing?

I've never driven either, so I don't really have any prejudices for/against either. I'm obviously expecting the Lexus to be quicker. Can the e90's (reportedly) superior handling characteristics be felt during normal driving or only closer to the limit?

There are other, non-driving, characteristics that I will be evaluating, such as how i fit (I'm 6'3"), whether my daughters' carseats fit, and perceived construction quality, but I wanted to get some test drive advice from people who are in the know.
Thanks,
Charlie
Hi

Frankly, none of the cars you gonna test are roomy enough for you and your daughter carseat; presumably you know this already and still in preference of a compact sedan.
( I hate to suggest 5-series, E-Class ...)

Your concern about E90 handling in normal/at limit, I would say a balanced design best of its class' otherwise that will be all personal loves and hates. The current C-Class W203 is no where close to the E90 's comfort and not too big a gap in the handling department.

Couple of things I would note:
1. Try one with sports suspension and one without.
2. Bi Xenon is a must of course.
3. If you were happy without the adaptive steering option that's fine. See if you can try one with and one without.
4. Of course you will check the windows clearances as you are tall.
5. Do a bit of gear shifting, you may or may not get used to with the up/down shift directions.

Just my two cents, I am sure you get more help from others here
Have fun with all these lovely cars.
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0