ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-09-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

My first wax...

Ok...Let me start by saying this is NOT the first time the car has been waxed. So we get that straight...but this is the first time I'll be waxing it.

I started by washing it...I just got done (and it sucked cuz it's still like 95 out but I wanted to do it while I had shade...but sunlight.

So...I dried it as per usual and it's gonna sit for the rest of the night in the Garage.

Tomorrow morning I'm gonna try and remove all the lingering issues with the paint with some paint cleaner until it's nice and smooth. I'm skipping the polishing step..cuz I don't want to do it. It's too friggin hot.

After I make sure the paint is as smooth as it's gonna get and all the spots are out...I'm gonna wax it.

Now...since I'm a total noob I'd like some advince. I'm sure I can handle the easy smooth surfaces without a problem. But how do I attack the creases and nooks and crannies? Should I get an old tooth brush and try to work it in...or is it not even worth it? What about the front bumper and the chips and shit? Do I just go over it without a care in the world or does it require some extra love?

Again..I'm pretty sure I got the basics...but any expert advice from you guys that have been doing it for years would be appreciated.

Here's to keeping our cars beautiful!!!

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
AlanL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix Sports Wagon

Car detailing is a subject far too many us get reeaallly lost in, but for your stated goals the basic notion is that you are trying to wipe on a thin sacrificial layer of stuff between your paint and the outside world.

1. It doesn't help to try to lay down a thick layer - only so much of it is going to stick once you buff it down although you can come back next weekend and do another coat and this will help.

2. While your car will look better if you get into every nook and cranny you can, the big chunks are really where you have the most to gain. You are better off doing all the big easy surfaces twice (this weekend and next) than doing a meticulous job that takes a bazillion years and not doing it again for 6 months. Besides maybe next weekend won't be as hot and you might be inspired to do more

I'll be honest - I am one of those nut cases who spends a LOT of time making my cars look nice but will be the first to admit that not everyone has a similar set of priorities or the time to do it that way.
      06-09-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
20Ducks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 335i w/M pkge

I'd make a few suggestions, but I'm too old.

back by popular demand...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 08:19 PM   #4
zednik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

I used to wax but I've gone back to shaving.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 08:33 PM   #5
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 3.0Si

You should first was the car with Dawn dish soap to mildly cut the pollutants on the car. Then you should clay bar the entire car to remove any additional surface contaminants. Especially the ones you can't see. You basically work the clay bar back and forth until it moves smoothly. Rinse the vehicle to remove any clar bar reside.

Then you should begin waxing the car to seal in the clean finish. I suggest Zaino Brother's products. I've won quite a few shows with their products and I now swear by them.
      06-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

I thought dish soap had detergents that are considered too harsh for your paint? I'd buy a clay bar but I can't find anything with the just the bar...there are a bunch of kits...but I dont' feel like it'd be worth it. I think that the paint is very smooth still...and the paint cleaner should take care of the minor imperfections well enough.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm definately not going to lay it on thick so to speak. I'll probably have alot of free time over the week...so I may do one coat tomorrow and another later on in the week and just leave it in the garage to keep it clean. Maybe a third before the weekend as well to make sure it's really nice.

So keeping in mind that I will have free time...how do you attack the nooks and crannies that aren't so easily done? Cuz that's really my biggest concern.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 08:49 PM   #7
20Ducks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeez

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #8
sesegal99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 328I Coupe Sport

+10000000000000000000000000 for zaino products!!!!
2009 328i Coupe Space Grey w/ Dakota LeatherSTEP, Sport Pkg. w Paddle Shifters, Prem. Pkg., Comfort Access, Grey Popler Trim, Heated Seats, Shadowline Trim, Xenon Adaptive Lights, GP Thunder Fogs, GP Thunder Angels, RE15mm Spacers, 35% Tint,OEM Alarm, Clear Corners, K&N, Strut Brace
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 08:54 PM   #9
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

I do use a tooth brush to get wax off. I do not use one to put wax in the cracks. When I wax, I start wiping the wax off before the wax drys hard. With the micro fiber towel with simi wet wax is how I do the creases. There is enough wax on the towel to do the job.

The rock chip areas, with a blackish paint , a light toothbrush and some QD will help not seeing the wax in the chip areas.

When the time is right, you will want to do the complete process.

Again IMHO, your car looked real nice in the pic. If you put the paint cleaner on, it will strip what is on it now. I might take some QD to the surface to remove spots from washing in the heat, then two thin coats of wax done in small sections, not allowing the wax to dry. This is just my thoughts.
      06-09-2007, 08:55 PM   #10
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Ok...let's get over brands for a second...I'm more interested in technique.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 08:58 PM   #11
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Thanks z4n...I'm only gonna use the paint cleaner in some small areas where the paint is noticibly discolored...if that doesn't work I guess I'll just have to live with it. The paint was like that when I got it...but I never noticed it until I started washing and drying it by hand.

The wax does need some love tho...The beading is starting to go...so a couple coats at least will make me feel better about it staying protected.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 08:58 PM   #12
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 3.0Si

dish soap is harmful if you wash the car with it multiple times. Even though you "think" the surface is clean there is still alot of contaminants on it. You won't realize how much is actually there unless you clay bar and feel the difference. The reason clay bars are sold in "kits" is because you need a detailing spray to lubricate the bar while you work.

All the answers to your questions can be answered here in Griot's Detailer's Handbook. It's free and a good read.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/pdfs/Det...bar=1&zoom=125
      06-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #13
ovrkll
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Blue Z4M

Open hood, get edges. Check
Open trunk, get edges. Check
Open doors, get edges. Check

It really is not that difficult, use a liquid wax on an applicator and get what you can the first time around. Finish up on all the small detail areas later.

You are trying to make a lot more out of it than it is, just read the directions on the wax you have and go with it.

Maybe next time, go for the bikini wax instead.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 09:05 PM   #14
20Ducks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Are you telling me you don't know this "technique" stuff already? That this is new and unexplored territory?

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 09:07 PM   #15
ovrkll
Lieutenant
Rep

Must be that Army training
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 09:08 PM   #16
RCNet
Woof!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Ti Silver Z4 M Coupe

Dammmittt,

If you are looking for detailing ideas, procedures, discussions, reviews, and advice, I recommend stopping in at http://www.autopia.org/ Lots of good advise there. It's hosted by Autopia Car Care, but isn't terribly commerical.

While I like my bimmers looking nice, I'm not anal about it. I would stay away from dish detergent because it isn't good for your paint. I use Sonus and Klasse products to keep my coupe looking nice, and tend to side towards protection rather than pure out and out beauty.

RCNet
      06-09-2007, 09:08 PM   #17
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

If you are doing it by hand, get one of the wax applicators that look like a compact sponge ( as to say very small holes and uniform ). This wiil help with thin coats and the flatter surface placed on the car will help smooth the look.
      06-09-2007, 09:08 PM   #18
20Ducks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry. I didn't get the quote button pushed. I was trying to ask Dammitt if this is all new to him.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #19
ovrkll
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
so a couple coats at least will make me feel better about it staying protected.
Most high quality waxes are designed to give at least 6 months of good protection/beading, so there is no need to do multiple coats unless you are really going for the deep shine seen with a show car or a meticulous owner. If you are after that, then go with the Zaino stuff and follow directions. I use Zaino, and it is at least a full day of treatment the first time around, after that it is just a quick wash, wax, and polish/detail mist.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 09:26 PM   #20
ovrkll
Lieutenant
Rep

I personally think the ladies should give Dammmittt the proper technique for waxing
They tend to be more attentive to getting all the nooks/crannies and leaving it looking perfect.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 09:28 PM   #21
zednik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

OK, first ya get out the Brillo Pads......rub REALLY HARD on the bird crap, but not so hard on the tar spots.....no, I meant rub really hard on the tar but the bird doo has to be softened first with denatured alcohol......oh, NEVER MIND.

Maybe I just had a difficult day at work but I gotta say.......just wax the friggin' thing.....this is NOT rocket science......it's really not.

It's a car, not Buddha's Baby Pictures.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 09:43 PM   #22
20Ducks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0