BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
Aetey
Enlisted Member
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Steelflex brake lines

Since my 1M will be tracked I'm flirting with steelflex brake lines. Has anyone here ever installed some? If so which ones did you get, did you install them yourself? Might I ask for pictures?

I was thinking along these lines: http://o-brake.com/en_montagematerial_stahlflex.php

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

I would generally tell you to save your money. Modern stock brake lines are fiber and steel reinforced inside the rubber, meaning that when new they don't expand under pressure like rubber lines once did, so there is only a very small performance advantage to steel braided lines. Modern street based race cars, like the Porsche GT3 Cup cars, often use rubber lines and the teams don't bother upgrading to stainless, which should tell you something.

That being said, stainless lines do protect against abrasion more than rubber lines. In a race car where you're pulling the wheels off regularly there is a good chance you'll eventually abrade the outside of your stock rubber lines. I'd suggest you wait until that happens and then consider replacing with stainless. They generally recommend replacing stainless lines every 2 years, because the braided cover hides and damage that might be hiding underneath.

Last edited by Pete_vB; 02-29-2012 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Aetey
Enlisted Member
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
I would generally tell you to save your money. Modern stock brake lines are fiber and steel reinforced inside the rubber, meaning that when new they don't expand under pressure like rubber lines once did
I didn't know that Pete, thank you
Appreciate 0