E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Looking for a Great Detailer

02-25-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mazda6

Post Looking for a Great Detailer

Hey guys, starting to look for a detailer up in northern cali by the walnut creek area. Anyone have any recommendations on who to check out?
2011 335i Sedan M Sport/Le Mans Blue Metallic/Glacier Aluminum Trim/Heated Seats/Premium Package/Black Leather/Ipod Adapter/Paddles/FormulaOne Tint/Matte Black Grilles/AA Signature Exhaust/AA Chargepipe/ Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive [SOLD]

2007 328i Coupe Sport/Matte Black Kidney's/3M Tint----Lemon'ed
[SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
nick@detailaddict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3xf4ctor View Post
Hey guys, starting to look for a detailer up in northern cali by the walnut creek area. Anyone have any recommendations on who to check out?
Don't know any detail oriented shops in the east bay but there's a couple in the south bay you may want to check out. Bob at Auto concierge in Fremont does excellent work as well as Detailaddict in Santa Clara.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

I'm more than sure Detail Addict could help transform your vehicle to a like-new state. I see your current location is listed as Salt Lake City; have you considered the great Greg Nichols of Reflections Detail of Utah?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 01:20 AM   #4
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
I'm more than sure Detail Addict could help transform your vehicle to a like-new state. I see your current location is listed as Salt Lake City; have you considered the great Greg Nichols of Reflections Detail of Utah?
I have but I'm only currently here for college. And you know with the snow and salt and rain here it really beats your car plus that fact that someone decided to lean there red door agains mine causing a scratch and then i have a rock chip on my rear left fender. Anyways thats beside the point as I'm sure with a detail those will be fixed. As I was saying I'm Utah for college and heading home in the first week of May back to Cali. I will be driving all the way and as my car has had a deep deep clean since i got her in September, I figured the perfect time would be when i get home for college for the summer.
2011 335i Sedan M Sport/Le Mans Blue Metallic/Glacier Aluminum Trim/Heated Seats/Premium Package/Black Leather/Ipod Adapter/Paddles/FormulaOne Tint/Matte Black Grilles/AA Signature Exhaust/AA Chargepipe/ Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive [SOLD]

[SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

I see. Well keep working hard in school and good luck with that ding. Sucks to have to always park close to other people - many whom don't seem to care about their rides :/
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Quote:
I see. Well keep working hard in school and good luck with that ding. Sucks to have to always park close to other people - many whom don't seem to care about their rides :/
Do you know any great places in West Michigan?
      03-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
Do you know any great places in West Michigan?
No :/
Closest detailer that posts pro work I know of to GR is Charlie Hahn in Lansing.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Quote:
No :/
Closest detailer that posts pro work I know of to GR is Charlie Hahn in Lansing.
That's not too far. Is that the name of the detailing shop?
      03-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man, yeah its a bummer but when i get back to Cali, hopefully it will buff right out.

[SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
That's not too far. Is that the name of the detailing shop?
Charlie is the detailer himself. http://www.hahn-on-the.net/autocare/
Lansing based fellow that frequents the biggest North American detailing site: autopia.org. Tell him you've been searching for some quality work, and some crazy mutt named Marc Harris from AutoLavish thought he'd be able to help you out, and you'll be well taken care of.
Good detailers get a lot of inquiries, to include people who aren't so serious or are looking for a "$200 and we do it all" kind of place. When you first touch base with a quality detailer, it'll be good to let him know that you're serious and you're looking for the right kind of professional that can take your car to the next level.
Being descriptive and letting the detailer know you're serious and who referred you tells him certain things off the bat:
1. You're a serious enthusiast looking for quality work
2. You've done some research to find the type of person needed
3. You take advice from people who know more than you in this field

While a businessman knows everyone is a potential client, think about this:

Person A goes to a BMW dealership in an old shirt and sweat pants and says "I wanna getta bimmer."
Person B goes to a BMW dealership in a suit and says "My buddy Jim bought an Alpine White 5-series from you guys and I'm interested in a 335xi in jet black, a coral red interior, in a 6 speed."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3xf4ctor View Post
Thanks man, yeah its a bummer but when i get back to Cali, hopefully it will buff right out.
Hopefully. Luckily you have some quality guys in Salt Lake City / NorCal, so I'm sure you'll be in good hands.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
Deathjester
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Charlie is the detailer himself. http://www.hahn-on-the.net/autocare/
Lansing based fellow that frequents the biggest North American detailing site: autopia.org. Tell him you've been searching for some quality work, and some crazy mutt named Marc Harris from AutoLavish thought he'd be able to help you out, and you'll be well taken care of.
I recently learned the hard way, dealerships are not the place to get your car detailed...

Based on Marc's recommendation and since I drive back and forth past Lansing multiple times a month, I dropped off my new wheels to Charles Hahn in Lansing to seal up for me before I got new tires and stressed about brakedust.

My impressions: Price quoted was very fair, flexible hours, callbacks within 15 minutes. I am probably not the best judge of detailer work quality because the wheels were brand new, so I cannot yet comment on the full detail experience.

While dropping off the wheels, I glanced over at his personal vehicle and took a mental note because it was SPOTLESS. I also smiled because he appears to be OCD with the labelmaker like I am, everything was organized and in it's place.

Instead of just taking my wheels and getting to work, he took the time to ask me about my plans for upkeep, and if I wanted to seal them every 3 months or so. I said "Hell no" and then based on a few other questions, he recommended polysealing them. (I believe that is the correct term)

Picking up the wheels, he worked around my schedule, so another plus. I noted that he even treated the centercaps as well as the lugnuts.

Based on my experience so far, I will be taking my car to him for the full car treatment after I get suspension work done.

Definately a thumbs up from me. (So far)

-Jay
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #12
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Charlie does quality work and is on several sites regularly. You won't be short changed and very pleasantly surprised.
Appreciate 0