E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > IronX Results

02-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Miami
these cars become an addiction :/
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 328i

IronX Results

i was washing my car yesterday for the first time in a month(just moved so i really didn't have any time....you'd be surprised how long it takes to build 3 rooms worth of ikea furniture) when i noticed that my trunk and rear bumper were covered in rust/black dots everywhere, at first i tried to get rid of them with CG Citrus Wash but nothing, then i tried some PS21:TAW and still nothing! i thought at first that i was gonna have to clay everything and then polish, i took out the softer clay to see if maybe i could avoid the polishing but it didn't really grab onto anything, i was about to go get the harder clay and the Flex but i remembered that Greg at DI had recommended IronX to me 4 months back when i placed my last order in november, speaking wonders about the product and that it really helped the decontamination process a lot, so i bought the small bottle of it to try in march/april which is when i have my complete detail, but it was looking really bad so i decided to use it now anyways just to see how well the product worked.

needless to say i wasn't let down by the recommendation!

here i am applying it to the rear bumper. (3 different light settings)

sorry about the weird lines on the pics.....byproduct of your phone being dipped in your rinse bucket

it worked so good i decided to hit the doors with it too (they also had a little of these specks)

and same amazing results, dissolved everything!
whatever little bits were left i picked up with the soft clay and bumper was left looking close to 90% speck free.

sorry about the long write up & sorry theres no before and after pics! didnt think they would come out with this much difference.
9-tenths of a second is a hell of a lot of time!!! That's walking all over the AMG. In fact, not only is that walking all over it, that's finishing, jumping out of the car, shitting in your own hand and throwing it at the AMG as it drives by to finish its lap.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Good to know the product works
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Miami
these cars become an addiction :/
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 328i

yeah i was a little skeptical because i had read reviews on this forum stating that it was a pointless product and that you could go through an entire bottle just on one car, but i only used about 1/4. only downside is that it smells HORRIBLE!
9-tenths of a second is a hell of a lot of time!!! That's walking all over the AMG. In fact, not only is that walking all over it, that's finishing, jumping out of the car, shitting in your own hand and throwing it at the AMG as it drives by to finish its lap.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Glad to hear the CarPro Iron X Iron Remover worked well for you. It's definitely helped me remove iron deposits which will not come off with a traditional washing. Thanks for posting up the pictures, the white paint makes it much easier to see just how effective this product is.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Smells like SEWER WATER, exactly! But that stuff hella works!

Here's my cleaning when I used different products, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...9#post11348809

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami View Post
yeah i was a little skeptical because i had read reviews on this forum stating that it was a pointless product and that you could go through an entire bottle just on one car, but i only used about 1/4. only downside is that it smells HORRIBLE!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 04:58 AM   #6
Donny Rino
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Does this stuff also remove the wax as it cleans?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 04:58 AM   #7
Donny Rino
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Does this stuff also remove the wax as it cleans?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
platnumdesi01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

I had some small rust dots on my car too....was your car ever at the body shop?? They usually run the grinders and don't cover the cars next to them. I had it all over my rear windows bc the car had been in thr shop.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
kc1337
Private
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

I like to clay and then use IronX. The clay removes the bigger pieces allowing the IronX to cut through the remaining smaller pieces embedded in the paint itself.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #10
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

works wonders! I love the equivalent WOLFS DE-IRONIZER. (smells much better)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 04:30 AM   #11
rvladescu
Canada
Rep
Drives: 440 GC

I just used IRONX and what a product amazing the car looks new
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (E93)

Other than the car sitting in a metal or body shop, why and how on earth would iron shavings get embedded into your paint?

MHD Stage 1 Flash, M-Factory Helical LSD

By the way people: USE YOUR F&*#ING TURN SIGNALS! Pass the word.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #13
HK8888
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [10.00]
Way to go,
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop335 View Post
Other than the car sitting in a metal or body shop, why and how on earth would iron shavings get embedded into your paint?
do it to your car and it will do the same thing!

Driving on the road, your car will pick up and hold onto brake dust, which leads to rusting specs on the paint, which is part of what ironX will help dissolve.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #15
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric
Quote:
do it to your car and it will do the same thing!

Driving on the road, your car will pick up and hold onto brake dust, which leads to rusting specs on the paint, which is part of what ironX will help dissolve.
Not sure what you mean. Brake pads are either organic, semi-metallic, or ceramic. None of these pads contain iron or anything else that will "rust". Organic and ceramic pads have no metal whatsoever. Semi-metallic pads are primarily carbon black and bronze. So what rust iron-x dissolving?

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #16
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep

wait, so what is it on the wheels then and why you would be able to do the same thing with iron X and De-ironizer and have the same effect? Figured it was brake dust dissolving..??? i could be wrong in my thinking
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 07:05 AM   #17
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. Brake pads are either organic, semi-metallic, or ceramic. None of these pads contain iron or anything else that will "rust". Organic and ceramic pads have no metal whatsoever. Semi-metallic pads are primarily carbon black and bronze. So what rust iron-x dissolving?
The rotors are typically made of iron and DO wear too.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #18
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Fair enough, but I can't imagine rotor dust makes up any significant amount of the crap on the road. Maybe iron x dissolves other stuff too? Interesting.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #19
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

Not sure how accurate it is but according to this website brake dust is mostly the rotors...

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive_...kes_dust.shtml
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #20
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_TII
Not sure how accurate it is but according to this website brake dust is mostly the rotors...

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive_...kes_dust.shtml
Wow, I would have never guessed. However, he does also state that for this reason pads and rotors wear out at the same time. I have never replaced rotors every time I replaced pads.

I wonder if sonax wheel cleaner does the same thing as iron-x, dissolving the ferrous oxide. If so, could you use sonax in place of iron-x on your paint?

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #21
Rampage9
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive

For whatever reason, only in the winter does my car get absolutely covered (!) in the red rust spots on the rear end. And it won't come of with claying. I'll have to give this a try.

Quote:
I wonder if sonax wheel cleaner does the same thing as iron-x, dissolving the ferrous oxide. If so, could you use sonax in place of iron-x on your paint?
Also interested in this - I have the Sonax wheel cleaner already, I wonder if it's safe to use on the paint?

Edit: Found this, looks promising
http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...l-cleaner.html

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #22
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

See below. Iron x also turns purple as it dissolves wheel dirt. Is it possible iron x and sonax are the same stuff?

From the autogeek.net website:

Remove harmful iron deposits and protect your paint!

Iron X by CarPro is an acid-free, pH-balanced iron remover that decontaminates auto paint and wheels. Iron X prevents the spread of iron-related damage to protect your vehicle from paint system failure. Your vehicle constantly faces unseen threats. Remove them with Iron X!

Airborne chemical compounds and ferrous (iron-containing) particles penetrate auto paint and create corrosive compounds that eat into the paint's sublayers. Detailing clay removes the particles but it doesn't remove their effects - corrosion may already be creeping under the paint's surface.

The only way to truly remove ferrous particles is with a dedicated iron remover like Iron X. Iron X opens up the paint's pores to release iron particles and to neutralize the caustic compounds that have developed as a result of the particle. In one step, you can eliminate the cause and its effects. Put an immediate stop to paint damage before it's too late.

IronX turns purple as it removes iron-containing particles.

Iron X is excellent on automotive paint and safely cleans clear coats. Iron X is highly recommended for all clear coated alloy wheels. Brake dust and road grime become baked onto wheels. Brake dust contains high levels of iron and can quickly pit clear coated wheels. Iron X easily removes ferrous brake dust to protect your wheels from further damage. Iron X can save you the cost of replacing your factory wheels!

Note: Iron X should not be used on chrome, bare metal parts, brake calipers, wheel balancing weights, or SMART paint repairs. Mask off these areas. Avoid letting Iron X dry on any surface.

Iron X is easy to use and you can see it working! Iron X is a clear solution in the bottle but it turns purple when it comes into contact with sintered iron particles. Iron X turns the iron into a water soluble complex for easy removal. After five minutes of dwell time, wipe down the surface and rinse thoroughly. After using Iron X, you can polish and clay your vehicle as you normally would. Always apply a coat of wax or paint sealant after using Iron X.

Proper vehicle care means cleaning above and below the paint's surface. Iron X Iron Remover removes iron particles and their effects to keep the paint clean and healthy.

Appreciate 0