E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Installing an external XM unit in 325xi tray.(Pictures)

02-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Mpy18
Captain
Rep
Drives: '06 325 XI

Installing an external XM unit in 325xi tray.(Pictures)

So after searching through some DIY guides I saw one about installing an XM receiver in a replacement tray.

I ordered a Sunglasses Holder Tray for an 06 325 xi E90.

I then bought an XM unit and hardwiring kit for power and audio.

After getting everything in the mail I was saddened to see that I didn't do my homework enough on the subject.

The XM unit is too big height wise to allow the tray door to close. It can sit in nicely at a great angle but the door can't close and that was the reasoning behind doing this. I want to hide it.

I also didn't order the dock that the xm unit has to plug into for the satellite signal. I have XM so I am under the assumption I can't purchase a Sirius unit, correct? I also like the XM Onyx I bought because you can change the screen to red to blend with the car dash color.

If I need to use that dock to put the XM unit, how would it even fit in the tray, as it would make it really too bulky.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Blue Streak
Gunny
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i 6MT, 2016 F10 535

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [9.00]
I don't know if you've got your heart set on that ash tray mount or not, but you may be interested to see other solutions available. I have a similar XM receiver and I found what I think to be the perfect solution. The receiver is plugged into my AUX port in the arm rest. I have it powered by the glovebox flashlight power adapter. I also have the antenna hardwired into my trunk "satelite prep" harness that goes into the roof shark fin antenna. It powers up as soon as I unlock the doors and powers down about a minute or so after the car is shut off.

This is the company's website: http://www.panavise.com/index.html

This is their link for the custom dash mounts: http://www.panavise.com/index.html?p...ECTIONSword=ww

This is what we need for our car: http://www.panavise.com/pdf_indash/75103-506.pdf

Here are some photos of the complete install in my own car:
Attached Images

2007 E90 335i 6MT, ZSP, Nav, PDC, CA, Montego Blue, Terra Dakota leather, CDV, clutch-stop, E46 M Shift Knob, Logic HVI, JB4 PnP, MS 3" downpipes, Koni Yellow adjustable sport shocks, RE 12mm(f)/BMS 15mm(r) spacers, Blacklines, LUX 5.0 LED halo ring lights, DAEOS (Vista) harness, GP Thunder 7500k fogs, 35% sides-20% rear tint, matt black kidney grill, matt black 335i trunk badge
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Mpy18
Captain
Rep
Drives: '06 325 XI

That is a nice set up you have there, but in my previous car I had it parked and broken into for an mp3 player and some cables. I did have my heart set on the tray because it can be concealed. Don't want to see some glass on the floor of this car
Appreciate 0