XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

02-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
BiG22DuBz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Stock Dyno Results

Whats up everyone....went to KT motoring in chatsworth and did a few runs on their Dyno Dynamics. I'll post up the graph later tonight. I think we suffer from heat soak. From the second pull on, the torque dropped 40 foot pounds. The advertised 500 foot pounds (crank) is a bit underrated.

AWHP/AWTQ
First pull..........406/475
2nd, 3rd, 4th....419/420

Comments and thoughts appreciated
CLS55 and C6Z06 (previous rides)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
BiG22DuBz
Private First Class
Rep

Here's the dyno sheet.....used an Iphone camera so excuse the quality.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
BabyBlack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & E90 335i & E71 X6M

horsepower about right on a dyno dynamics, but the torque seems high. OP is that a SAE or STD number?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
BiG22DuBz
Private First Class
Rep

The numbers are corrected. Then ill re-dyno after the tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
larkinda
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 x6m

I pulled 453 ftlb and 473 Hp with stock 2012 x6m in awd mustang dyno. With tune and exhaust I'm at 499 ftlb and 488 Hp.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
BiG22DuBz
Private First Class
Rep

Your numbers are pretty stout! especially your horsepower. Which tune and exhaust do you have? Throw on some downpipes and you will see a HUGE difference. I make 570 AWTQ on a dyno dynamics at Gintani. I will have to take it back to another shop that has a dyno dynamics and verify the numbers
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
larkinda
Private
Rep

I am running a dinan tune with akro evo exaust now- I just ordered ultimate racing DP and plan on getting the renntech tune once i install dp. The dinan tune alone before the exhaust was very disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #8
BiG22DuBz
Private First Class
Rep

I was doing some spirited driving with Biff Grissel and he's got a Dinan tune and exhaust....dude was pulling pretty fast! Iam surprised you want to ditch the dinan tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Jimshorts
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5m

Hoping to add to this soon... I plan on doing a before and after tune with a Eurocharged tune. Will let you guys know results. From their I want to grab the UR DPs. Look to be a great deal.
      09-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
BiG22DuBz
Private First Class
Rep

Eurocharged knows their $hit too.....From AMG's to M's. Getting rid of the stock cats makes a HUGE and noticeable difference.

Then get some 1/4 mile times too
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
larkinda
Private
Rep

Dyno pull

Got my aa tune and race cat DP installed and made another mustang awd dyno pull
501 Hp
505 Ftlb

Picked up a pretty consistent 20 Hp and Ftlb throughout the power curve from the old tune and stock DP.
I have been told the mustang dyno reads low- anyone have any input about this?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #12
larkinda
Private
Rep

I answered my own question- I found this on another forum...

DynoJets are inertia dynos, and have been around for years, much longer than any type of load cell dyno. Inertia dyno's work on the principle of the acceleration of a known mass over time. Their rollers are the known mass. Weighing in at over 2500lbs or so. Your car gets strapped down to the machine, and the dyno collects it's data. It is able to calculate horsepower by measuring the acceleration in rpm of the rollers in regards to RPM. This is why gearing can affect the dyno results, more on that in a bit. Now that the dyno has recorded the horsepower curve, it can take the integral of that curve and get the torque curve. Since the dyno’s power calculations are based on the acceleration of mass over time in regards to RPM, gearing is very important. Since a vehicle with a lower gear ratio can accelerate the mass to a higher speed using less engine RPM, it will show a higher horsepower number than a car with a higher gear ratio. If a car is able to accelerate the dyno’s rollers from 200rpm (roller) to 300rpm (roller)in 1500rpm (engine), then the dyno is going to record more power than a car that did that in 2000rpm (engine).

Now we go to Mustang dyno’s and other loaded dyno’s. Our Mustang MD-1100SE dyno’s rollers weigh 2560lbs. That is the actual mass of the rollers, much like the DynoJet. That’s about where all the similarities end. When we get a car on our dyno, we enter two constants for the dyno’s algorithms. One being the vehicle weight, the other being what’s called “Horsepower At 50mph”. This is a number that represents how much horsepower it takes for the vehicle to push the air to maintain 50mph. This is used as the aerodynamic force. Mustang dyno’s are also equipped with a eddy currant load cell. Think of a magnetic brake from a freight train. This magnetic brake can apply enough resistance to stall a big rig. Off one side of the eddy currant load cell, there is a cantilever with a 5volt reference load sensor (strain gage). As the rollers are spinning this load sensor is measuring the actual torque being applied. So as the rollers spin, the load sensor is measuring the force being applied, sending that information to the dyno computer, taking into account the two constants entered earlier, computing the amount of resistance needed to be applied to the rollers to load the car so that the force of the rollers resistance is as close to the force the car sees on the street. The dyno is then able to calculate the total force being applied to the rollers in torque, and then taking the derivative of that torque curve to arrive at the horsepower curve. Since torque is an actual force of nature, like gravity and electricity, it can be directly measured. Horsepower is an idea that was thought up by man, and cannot be directly measured, only calculated.

I like to state it like this. . . I start by asking how much your car weighs, lets say 3500lbs. Now you take your car and you make a make a WOT rip in your tallest non overdrive gear, how much mass is your engine working against? 3500lbs right? Now you strap your car on a DynoJet and you make a WOT in the same gear, how much mass is your engine working against? 2500lbs right? Now you strap your car on a Mustang dyno, how much mass is your engine working against? 2500lbs. Plus the resistance being applied by the eddy current generator. We’ve seen anywhere for 470lbs of resistance to over 700lbs of resistance as measured in PAU force in the data logs. So which one is more accurate? Well they their both accurate. If a DynoJet dyno says you made 460rwhp, then you made 460rwhp. If a Mustang dyno says you made 460rwhp, you also made 460rwhp. Now which one of those numbers best represents what your car is doing when its on the street. That’s a different question.

The most important thing to remember is that a dyno is a testing tool. If the numbers keep increasing, then you’re doing the right thing. We try to look over at NET gain, instead of Peak HP numbers. A 30rwhp increase is a 30rwhp increase regardless of what dyno it is on.

Now I can address how to calculate the difference between one type of dyno and another. Simply put, you can’t. Because Mustang dyno’s have so many more variables, it’s not a simple percentage difference. We’ve had cars that made 422rwhp on our Dyno, two days later make 458rwhp on a DynoJet the next day. We’ve also had cars that made 550rwhp on our dyno, make 650+rwhp on a DynoJet a few days later at another shops Dyno Day. For instance, my 2002 Z28 with a forged internal LS6 Heads/Cam/Intake, makes 460rwhp on our dyno. I thought that was a little low, since I’ve had cam only LS6 Z06 vettes make 450rwhp. So I overlaid the dyno graphs. Guess what, the PAU force for my car was almost 200lbs more than the C5Z06 that made 450rwhp with cam only. So I entered the weight and horsepower at 50 number for a C5Z06 and did another horsepower rip with my car. The only reason I did that was to compare Apples to Apples. This time my car made 490rwhp, no other changes. Now I don’t go around saying my car made 490rwhp, I say what it actually did with the correct information entered into the computer. It made 460rwhp. Now if I ever get a chance to take it on a DynoJet (which I plan to in the spring), I have no doubts it’ll be over 500rwhp. I know this based on airflow and fuel consumption on the data logs.

But since we’re asked this question constantly we're fairly conservative, and hence tell our customers that the difference is closer to 6-7%, but as you make more power, and the more your car weighs, the difference increases as well. You must remember, Dyno's regardless of the type are tuning tools, and are in no means meant to tell people how fast their car is. Now which one is more "real world" is a totally different question. I like to explain it like this..... If you drive your car in a situation in which you have no mass and you're in a vacuum, so basically if you do intergalactic racing in space, use a DynoJet. If your car sees gravity, and has an aerodynamic coefficient, and you race on a planet called Earth, then use a Mustang Dyno
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #13
ProtoX
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5

Nice!
Appreciate 0