E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New rule for passengers in my car.

02-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
3me
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6spd mt 325i

New rule for passengers in my car.

*edit* I'm still a little raw about it so in reality the rule is probably going to last like 5 minutes.

So, this morning, I drive my roommate to his car because we went pretty hard at the bars last night and he asked me to give him a ride. Upon drop off, he yanked his bag out of my back seat and, with it was yanked my ashtray. The ashtray seems to be intact but for the life of me I can not get it back in. I try the DIY but it just feels like im going to break it more trying to put it back in. Yes, it was an accident, but my car has had its fair share of passenger f*** ups. Once, a girl getting out of my car slammed my door so hard that I had to get a new window regulator. What is wrong with people? why can't our stuff be respected? well...I decided to make a new rule. Every time a passenger gets in my car (excluding IMMEDIATE family and girls im on a date with) you must give me your cell phone. If you break something in my car, you get your cell phone back when my car is fixed. Sounds fair enough to me. what do y'all think? thank you for reading. vent over.

Last edited by 3me; 02-01-2012 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

are you serious??? it's a freakin' run of the mill car, shit happens - suck it up.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Lol collateral? I typically ask people to put their bags, purses, and etc in the trunk for reasons like this.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
are you serious??? it's a freakin' run of the mill car, shit happens - suck it up.
You HAD to be expecting this ^. More to come too.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
3me
Lieutenant
Rep

haha yes i was expecting this but a broken ashtray really can ruin a car freak's day. There is nothing bad about caring about your car. I mean I probably wouldn't even keep phones if something broke but the idea is for people to just think about being careful with other peoples things. If any of these people thought for a second "hey I need to respect other peoples things" none of the mess ups would have happened. Now my car is going to have to sit in a shop for a day and I am going to have to front 100 or 200 bucks. I have had about 500 worth of damage to the inside of my car. yes it is a run of the mill car but that is not run of the mill damage. Apparently I have really careless friends so I believe rules need to be set in place. Its hard for a college kid to just "suck up" 200 bucks. Hate all you want.
      02-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
busta7777
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 f80 m3

lol
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
JRJ1970
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i F32

It annoys me to no end how people think they need to slam the doors like the car is a piece of shit! That and the trunk...pisses me off every time. I'm far from anal but this crap annoys me too.
      02-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
mpower3o2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 AP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328xi0wner View Post
Lol collateral? I typically ask people to put their bags, purses, and etc in the trunk for reasons like this.
+1

I usually tell them to be careful as they get in and out of my car. Maybe time for you to get new friends :P
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you do that, I promise you that no one will ever be riding in your car unless it's an immediate family member or girl you're on a date with.

I mean, I'm not one to bring up bmw vs bmw models, but comon', you're driving a 325i. Even if it was a 335i you'd still be ridiculous for thinking of doing that.

Do you really think people would give you their cell phones? They would laugh at you, and stay seated in your passenger seat. When they don't give you their cell phone, what're you doing to do? Tell them you're not going to give them a ride unless they do so? Yank it away from them? Push them out of the car? Not drive and sit with your arms crossed like a little kid with a pouty face?

You know what sounds fair? If they break something in/on your car, they pay to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

People look at my car and know its modded and already are careful at what their doing. The worst is when someone is getting their bags out of the trunk and think its a toyota trunk and slam the shit out of it. I usually help them get the stuff out. The only time i can think of a passenger messing anything up is when i was in the back seat with them. thats a different story though
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Flush View Post
If you do that, I promise you that no one will ever be riding in your car unless it's an immediate family member or girl you're on a date with.

I mean, I'm not one to bring up bmw vs bmw models, but comon', you're driving a 325i. Even if it was a 335i you'd still be ridiculous for thinking of doing that.

Do you really think people would give you their cell phones? They would laugh at you, and stay seated in your passenger seat. When they don't give you their cell phone, what're you doing to do? Tell them you're not going to give them a ride unless they do so? Yank it away from them? Push them out of the car? Not drive and sit with your arms crossed like a little kid with a pouty face?

You know what sounds fair? If they break something in/on your car, they pay to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
mpower3o2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 AP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
People look at my car and know its modded and already are careful at what their doing. The worst is when someone is getting their bags out of the trunk and think its a toyota trunk and slam the shit out of it. I usually help them get the stuff out. The only time i can think of a passenger messing anything up is when i was in the back seat with them. thats a different story though
awesome! hahaha.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
JRJ1970
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3me View Post
Once, a girl getting out of my car slammed my door so hard that I had to get a new window regulator.
I don't mean to jack this thread but I want to ask this without starting a new thread -

WHAT IS A WINDOW REGULATOR?

I keep hearing people talking about these breaking. Where are they and what do they do? Is it the up/down switch or something inside the door?

Thanks
      02-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #14
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Or how about when you don't hit unlock fast enough and your passenger almost pulls off the frickin door handle, and then calls it a stupid piece of crap design. Suffice to say, he hasn't been in my car since.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
3me
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower3o2 View Post
+1

I usually tell them to be careful as they get in and out of my car. Maybe time for you to meet new people :P
Maybe I should just do this. I just feel like a prude asking people to take care of my car. I guess I just felt that a cold ultimatum will really strike home.. OH! no! I forgot ha one time I told my friend "watch out dont ding my door on that wall." DONK. Even when I tell them, it doesn't help. I feel like everyone putting their phone up front will really strike home. It sucks and I am a douche for doing it but I don't care its my car and I care about it. and he is my roommate^^^ kinda stuck with him lol
      02-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #16
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe I should just do this. I just feel like a prude asking people to take care of my car. I guess I just felt that a cold ultimatum will really strike home.. OH! no! I forgot ha one time I told my friend "watch out dont ding my door on that wall." DONK. Even when I tell them, it doesn't help. I feel like everyone putting their phone up front will really strike home. It sucks and I am a douche for doing it but I don't care its my car and I care about it. and he is my roommate^^^ kinda stuck with him lol
Your friends don't respect you like you expect them to, therefore they don't respect your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #17
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Yea its a pain the ass when people break something or use too much force. Last time when they got my seat dirty with their shoes, I yelled at them to clean it and they did.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #18
3me
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Your friends don't respect you like you expect them to, therefore they don't respect your car.
Well that is a little presumptuous since you don't know me and all. I don't think my friends respecting me is the problem. I think that mental lapses/hangovers/drunk girls have just run their course and that is that.
      02-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #19
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think my friends respecting me is the problem.
Quote:
I told my friend "watch out dont ding my door on that wall." DONK.
If you told your friends to do ________ and they do the opposite, respect isn't related at all, right?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #20
3me
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

It shouldn't matter what I drive. Haha that is perfectly fine with me btw. I would be perfectly content with not driving anyone in my car. But if you want a ride, all you have to do is put your phone up. And yes that is exactly what I am going to do. Its my car. And yes they all are going to fix it but that isnt the point. The pain in the ass is that it has to BE fixed. You have to take time out and go get it fixed and be without a car for a bit all because someone else f***ed up. You aren't going to change my mind.
      02-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #21
3me
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you told your friends to do ________ and they do the opposite, respect isn't related at all, right?
the door slipping out of someones hand because they are distracted and then paying for it is different so in this case you are right they aren't related at all.
      02-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #22
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It shouldn't matter what I drive. Haha that is perfectly fine with me btw. I would be perfectly content with not driving anyone in my car. But if you want a ride, all you have to do is put your phone up. And yes that is exactly what I am going to do. Its my car. And yes they all are going to fix it but that isnt the point. The pain in the ass is that it has to BE fixed. You have to take time out and go get it fixed and be without a car for a bit all because someone else f***ed up. You aren't going to change my mind.
It absolutely matters what you drive. Certain cars deserve more respect then others. If you were driving a $1k beater civic, you'd still ask them to give you their cell phone? You'd treat that car the same way as your BMW?

I wasn't trying to change your mind. I was just stating that you're not going to have any friends except for your family or a girl you're dating, but you seem fine with that.

Quote:
The ashtray seems to be intact but for the life of me I can not get it back in. I try the DIY but it just feels like im going to break it more trying to put it back in.
Quote:
4And yes they all are going to fix it but that isnt the point. The pain in the ass is that it has to BE fixed. You have to take time out and go get it fixed and be without a car for a bit all because someone else f***ed up. You aren't going to change my mind.
So, was the DIY a part of him paying to fix it? Maybe you just declined his offer to fix it and decided to do it yourself? Oh, nevermind, he's not paying for it, you are.

Last thing, can you answer what you would do when this happens?

Quote:
When they don't give you their cell phone, what're you doing to do? Tell them you're not going to give them a ride unless they do so? Yank it away from them? Push them out of the car? Not drive and sit with your arms crossed like a little kid with a pouty face?
Appreciate 0