E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bad Batteries out there??

01-31-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
j330xi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp

Bad Batteries out there??

Been having the LOW BATTERY warning and the "Battery" icon in the dash display..for a few weeks, put the car on a "deep" charge at home.. still got it.. Into dealer "it was your Comfort access" battery that was low.. replaced...

Yesterday.. Drove to work (10miles average speed 30mph) on phone as I pulled in the parking spot, turn off the ignition , one push.. stayed on phone and 1 minute later, Battery warning and Icon... All shuts down.. including the BLUETOOTH phone connection..

Been driving E90 for 6 years (330xi, 335i, 335is) never had one shut down while on the phone and I have stopped and talked many times.

Reading other BMW boards.. it seems others are having these battery warning.. Is there a set of bad batteries OR BMW software is now different?

THOUGHTS?? car goes in again tomorrow.. Adviser Tried to tell me the total shut down after one minute "NORMAL"... I would not have that..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 03:18 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

These cars are battery hogs

There are about 10 different boards for all the sub modules and when you get near the car they all wake up and start to draw current. A lot of the people with 06's are having to replace there battery's now. But you are seeing a fair
amount of cars that are only two or three years old have having battery problems. This usually occurs when people only drive short distances and never go out on the highway or let there car sit for long amount of time.

There are a bunch of pdfs here that explain how the electrical system works.

http://bmwcoders.com/forum/3-er-8/bm...1-e92-e93-291/

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...hlight=battery
Appreciate 0