E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 330i Active Steering / DTC / DSC Failure!

01-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
ghosey115
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Black 330 M Sport

Garage List
330i Active Steering / DTC / DSC Failure!

My UK Spec 2005 330i M Sport has developed a number of problems simultaniously.

When I start the car, I get a warning light for 'Active Steering Failure'. The wheel is at a slight angle and remains so no matter how far you drive. (I have tried re-initialising by turning the wheel back and forth but no success). The power steering works, but the active steering does not.

Once I drive and reach approximately 20mph, further warning lights and iDrive warnings appear for 'Start Assistant Inactive', 'DTC Failure - Drive Moderately' and 'Runflat Indicator Failure'. If I try to use the cruise control, this triggers a further iDrive warning for Cruise Control Failure. These are not simply warnings, I have verified that none of the systems are working.

I haven't had any accidents, hit any potholes or kerbs or done anything which would mis-align the steering. The problem with the active steering developed first in an intermittent manner. Eventually it got to the stage where the problem persisted and that is when the other problems appeared.

Had the car serviced today at my local dealer and paid for a diagnostic check. They wrote the following on my bill:

'Investigated active steering, traction control and cruise control warning light on. Tried initialisations of steering system, found corrosion at steering gear plug. Cleaned and fault still present. ISTA (what is this?) advise replacing steering gear and may require further repair to corroded multiplug.'

Needless to say I'm not keen on paying what could be thousands of pounds for the full steering gear to be replaced with no guarantee of success (Neither is the service manager who is going to discuss it with BMW UK and get back to me tomorrow with other potential solutions).

My initial feeling is that the dealer is barking up the wrong tree and that it makes more sense for there to be a problem which is common to all of these simultanious failures. I read somewhere that DTC, Active Steering etc are all linked together, can anyone confirm this?

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of problem or have any knowledge on what might be the problem? The dealer says this is a very strange problem and changing steering gear is not something they are usually required to do. Especially on a car that has only covered 50000 miles.

Any help appreciated - I'm tearing my hair out here!

PS anyone got a wiring diagram for the E90?

Last edited by ghosey115; 01-30-2012 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

I can't be much help but arguru faced a steering failure. Check out the thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622771
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
ghosey115
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Black 330 M Sport

Garage List
Hi thanks for the link, I had read his posts while looking into the problems with my own car. I havn't had any issues with the steering itself failing. The power steering coninues to work fine, but the active steering doesnt work and the steering wheel itself is at a slight angle. Im puzzled as to what has gone wrong.

The potential solution offered by the dealer was not a guaranteed fix and is expensive. They dont seem 100% sure what the problem is either.