E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Best shampoo to use before full detail?

01-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
dman1239
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90

Best shampoo to use before full detail?

Hey guys going for a full detail- wash,clay,swirl remover, sealant and final wax. Wanted to know which shampoo you guys would recommend to do a good wash to clean off previous wax/sealants. I am going to use a different shampoo on every wash after this one but was wondering what would be the best product to do this?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

To remove waxes, people recommend original dawn dish soap to prep the car for clay, etc...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anerbe View Post
To remove waxes, people recommend original dawn dish soap to prep the car for clay, etc...
Sure do and I'd also recommend it for a couple of reasons:

1. It works
2. It's readily available
3. You won't be using it all the time, and you aren't going to really damage anything with a wash using it every now and then.

Pro Tip: when you get done with your wash, your car shouldn't be beading water - that'll be your sign that you have effectively stripped old layers of protection.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
Miami
these cars become an addiction :/
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 328i

i use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash works great
9-tenths of a second is a hell of a lot of time!!! That's walking all over the AMG. In fact, not only is that walking all over it, that's finishing, jumping out of the car, shitting in your own hand and throwing it at the AMG as it drives by to finish its lap.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami View Post
i use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash works great
Agreed, I use this too and it strips the protection on there right off.

For regular maintenance washes I use Optimum shampoo.
      01-31-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation19 View Post
I've had trouble stripping old layers of protection by just using CG Wash & Clear. In your detailing experiences do you ever have trouble stripping old layers, or does Dawn just to do the trick? Does repeat washings with Dawn help? Any other tips appreciated. Thanks!
That can certainly happen. Citrus Wash & Clear isn't as strong as Citrus Wash. Wash and Clear is designed to be more of a maintenance shampoo, though one that doesn't leave behind any residue in the form of gloss agents (unlike it's close cousin, Wash & Gloss which is yellowish in color). Citrus Wash (orange color) is a stronger shampoo as proven from it's dilution ratio (1:256 versus 1:128 for the others), so when diluted even stronger it can pack a punch.

If you're not washing / stripping a large amount of cars, I wouldn't think it really makes sense to purchase another shampoo. You can either use your Wash&Clear in a stronger dilution (try it 1:64 AKA 2ounces per gallon) or give a dish soap like Dawn a try.

Appreciate 0