E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 18yr old seeking advice on 335i

01-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
Aol1234567
Rep
Drives: --

18yr old seeking advice on 335i

So I\'ll pretty much explain my situation in its entirety. My dad has promised to buy me a brand new 2012 335i coupe. We have contacted various dealers over the past 2 weeks and are planning tomorrow to go order it because I want a M/T. Here\'s where you all flame me, I\'m 18. I come here because after reading the thread started by WhyCry:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640156

I am seriously doubting whether I really need this car. I currently drive a 2010 nissan Altima coupe which my dad got me 2 years ago. He isn\'t THAT wealthy and makes a ~160k income. We don\'t live in a million dollar home or have 5 cars, I just happen to be an only child which is how I lucked out. My dad has one car, an E350 sedan. I\'ll be attending a UC next year, most likely Santa Barbara. My dad has agreed to pay for everything from my tuition, insurance, and housing for the next 6 years. I\'m seriously reconsidering my dads offer because as much as I want to have a 335i; will I really use it that much in college? My dad isn\'t telling me, but I feel like this purchase would affect him economically. I have always had an appreciation for money, never wasting when it wasn\'t needed, never buying brand name, etc. I was so pumped about getting a new car but after reading the thread above it really changed my outlook on the situation.Don\'t expect me to crash the car, I\'ve been driving for 3 years without an accident as well as tracking a friends 911 on multiple occasions, I know how to drive considerably well. You gave WhyCry much flame for his dad buying a 08 CPO, I\'ll get a new \'12 so go ahead flame away but I come here for advice on a potentially life changing 55k.

Thanks for the read.

Last edited by Aol1234567; 01-26-2012 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

If you are going to UC and there is a great chance that your friends will be sharing your ride and borrow it sometimes. If that will be the case, stick to a little cheaper car.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
IMO, just get it, you're 18, Hopefully your mature enough to treat your car right and not total it. Being young with a nice car really is awesome. And getting a a new car you dont have to worry about anything for the next 4 years/50k. So if your dad can afford it then why not?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
What would the parking situation be like?
      01-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
t1mmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2008 Sport

You sound like a young kid from a good family, who knows it.

Did you ask for it or did your dad offer? If he's offering, I'd take it - he probably has his reasons.

If you asked for it and he's just agreeing, I'd back off. Maybe put some restrictions on yourself - if you get good grades for the first two years of college, you get it. He'll respect you more for it
      01-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
nichojo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Put it in perspective. A new 335i will cost your dad half of a years salary.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
Aol1234567
Rep

I've looked into the parking situation at SB, it is awful and you are encouraged not to bring a car. That adds to the confusion...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

If it were me knowing what I know now (in my 30's). I'd keep the Altima thoughout college and get the nice car afterwards. I wouldn't want to worry about anything happening to a new car while there, especially if you feel this is putting a financial burden on your father. The 335 is a lot of car for a 18 year old, I know if I had one then, I'd would have recieve too many speeding tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichojo View Post
He said mid 6 figures, half a years income would put him in a new 458
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
nichojo
Lieutenant
Rep

Get your dad to buy you this, or this. Something along those lines.

They will look the same and when you graduate you'll actually have something to look forward to (that's within reason).
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
If it were me knowing what I know now (in my 30's). I'd keep the Altima thoughout college and get the nice car afterwards. I wouldn't want to worry about anything happening to a new car while there, especially if you feel this is putting a financial burden on your father. The 335 is a lot of car for a 18 year old, I know if I had one then, I'd would have recieve too many speeding tickets.

this. word for word.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Low&Slow

I'm your age. Got the car of my dreams as my first car. Unfortunately that means I have to drive it to school, where tons of inexperienced drivers also attend. I've been hit once so far, and I always park in the most optimal spots, far away, corner spots, etc... It didn't help. I still got hit in a parking garage while I was in class, and also didn't get any note left behind from the offender. There is nothing you can do that will give your car full immunity.

My completely honest advice, get a nice fun daily driver, maybe a 240sx or a Miata, something you can have the time of your life in that's still cheap and wouldn't set you back too much if you do happen to get hit. Then, once you're out of college, get a nice car. By then, you'll be even better than you are now at driving, and you won't have to worry about parking / driving around complete retards.

Montego Blue 2007 E92 335i - ZSP / ZPP / Steptronic / Logic7
Broadway Static - CCW - Megan - Orion
Instagram: bmwforlife
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #12
nichojo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWorNOTHING View Post
I'm your age. Got the car of my dreams as my first car. Unfortunately that means I have to drive it to school, where tons of inexperienced drivers also attend. I've been hit once so far, and I always park in the most optimal spots, far away, corner spots, etc... It didn't help. I still got hit in a parking garage while I was in class, and also didn't get any note left behind from the offender. There is nothing you can do that will give your car full immunity.

My completely honest advice, get a nice fun daily driver, maybe a 240sx or a Miata, something you can have the time of your life in that's still cheap and wouldn't set you back too much if you do happen to get hit. Then, once you're out of college, get a nice car. By then, you'll be even better than you are now at driving, and you won't have to worry about parking / driving around complete retards.

This is 90% true. You still have retarded drivers post-college. Just move to a big city .
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
project6
TOML Rescue
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aol1234567 View Post
, I\'ve been driving for 3 years without an accident as well as tracking a friends 911 on multiple occasions, I know how to drive considerably well..

Thanks for the read.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #14
Aol1234567
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1mmy View Post
You sound like a young kid from a good family, who knows it.

Did you ask for it or did your dad offer? If he's offering, I'd take it - he probably has his reasons.

If you asked for it and he's just agreeing, I'd back off. Maybe put some restrictions on yourself - if you get good grades for the first two years of college, you get it. He'll respect you more for it
My dad offered a new car, he said 328i coupe I pressed for the 335i. I definitely agree with the restrictions and that's a promising idea to consider. Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
If it were me knowing what I know now (in my 30's). *I'd keep the Altima thoughout college and get the nice car afterwards. *I wouldn't want to worry about anything happening to a new car while there, especially if you feel this is putting a financial burden on your father. *The 335 is a lot of car for a 18 year old, I know if I had one then, I'd would have recieve too many speeding tickets.

By mid 6 figures I implied ~150

Quote:
Get your dad to buy you this, or this. Something along those lines.

They will look the same and when you graduate you'll actually have something to look forward to (that's within reason).
Like I said above, my dad has pressed for a 328i, I think I might just end up choosing to get that for reliability and looks. Probably would abandon the M/T though.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #15
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

I bet you're WhyCry
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #16
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Low&Slow

Quote:
This is 90% true. You still have retarded drivers post-college. Just move to a big city .
Oh trust me, I'm from Orlando and it's pretty bad. The worst drivers by far are taxi drivers (who stay in the left lane of the high way no matter how slow they're driving), and tourists from the UK (who just don't know what the hell is going on).

But, NOTHING compares to the idiots at my school. It doesn't get any worse than that. Actually, I take that back. Maybe my high school was worse.

Montego Blue 2007 E92 335i - ZSP / ZPP / Steptronic / Logic7
Broadway Static - CCW - Megan - Orion
Instagram: bmwforlife
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #17
cultr3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Quote:
Unless he's dad's got a gambling problem, no way will a 3 series cost half a year's disposable income for a mid-six figurer, even if its paid for all at once in cash.

Unless there's a real good reason not to, you should just take the car and enjoy it when you can. College is a time to enjoy yourself. Other people get flamed because they want to make unsound decisions such as purchasing a car which their finances can barely cover as a student (or can't cover in some cases). but this isn't YOUR case, you have secured tuition, housing, insurance, and car payments, should you work any during school, you'll have additional income, so in this case, you can afford it, and it is a sound decision.

Yes 55k may sounds like a lot of money, but at your father's income level, he's not going to notice it much after writing the check. If you REALLY feel bad about it, just tell him to put it in a finance plan since the interests are so low. Think about it, approximately 12k per year out of a 500k salary, is barely 2%, 2% will not affect his quality of life, or add stress. Course, comparing a 335 to an altima, it could affect your quality of college life. Since there's no risk and you are not counting pennies you don't have, why not enjoy the reward?

I graduated a few years ago, bought my car after graduation and enjoy it a lot, but man, sure wouldn't minded having it while still in college, a lot more time and ways to enjoy it when not shackled to work.

By the way, you said next 6 years, is UCSB a 6 year program? With ap credits I finished Columbia in 3 years, maybe you should consider east coast schools, college is fun, but an additional 3 years is a pretty big deal.

Last edited by cultr3; 01-26-2012 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #18
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I got my 2011 335i when I was 17 and it was because I knew I was locked/going to have to go to a 6 year pharmacy program 20 min from my house. So why not commute to school in style? Just get the car man!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #19
nichojo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aol1234567 View Post
My dad offered a new car, he said 328i coupe I pressed for the 335i. I definitely agree with the restrictions and that's a promising idea to consider. Thank You

By mid 6 figures I implied ~150

Like I said above, my dad has pressed for a 328i, I think I might just end up choosing to get that for reliability and looks. Probably would abandon the M/T though.
My dad did the same thing when he offered to buy me a car. I went with the 335i too - got a used 2007 (this was in 2010) and it was nothing but a fantastic nightmare. The car was unbelievable but having no warranty (CPO doesn't count) was just terrifying. I ended up trading it (plus a loan on me) for a 2011 328i E92 and couldn't be happier.

It's up to you, and trust me, I more than understand your situation. Just be cognizant of your dad because I wish I would have been. Go with something a little high performance and show him you respect his opinion and his money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWorNOTHING View Post
Oh trust me, I'm from Orlando and it's pretty bad. The worst drivers by far are taxi drivers (who stay in the left lane of the high way no matter how slow they're driving), and tourists from the UK (who just don't know what the hell is going on).

But, NOTHING compares to the idiots at my school. It doesn't get any worse than that. Actually, I take that back. Maybe my high school was worse.
Hahaha! Touche!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #20
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
I bet you're WhyCry
LOL!!!!! hahah
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #21
Aol1234567
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultr3
Quote:
Unless he's dad's got a gambling problem, no way will a 3 series cost half a year's disposable income for a mid-six figurer, even if its paid for all at once in cash.

Unless there's a real good reason not to, you should just take the car and enjoy it when you can. College is a time to enjoy yourself. Other people get flamed because they want to make unsound decisions such as purchasing a car which their finances can barely cover as a student (or can't cover in some cases). but this isn't YOUR case, you have secured tuition, housing, insurance, and car payments, should you work any during school, you'll have additional income, so in this case, you can afford it, and it is a sound decision.

Yes 55k may sounds like a lot of money, but at your father's income level, he's not going to notice it much after writing the check. If you REALLY feel bad about it, just tell him to put it in a finance plan since the interests are so low. Think about it, approximately 12k per year out of a 500k salary, is barely 2%, 2% will not affect his quality of life, or add stress. Course, comparing a 335 to an altima, it could affect your quality of college life. Since there's no risk and you are not counting pennies you don't have, why not enjoy the reward?
Reconsider after I clarified what I meant by mid six figure being ~150-160k.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #22
nichojo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultr3 View Post

I graduated a few years ago, bought my car after graduation and enjoy it a lot, but man, sure wouldn't minded having it while still in college, a lot more time and ways to enjoy it when not shackled to work.

UCSB is a 6 year program?
150k is 112k MAX take home. A new 335i is ~60k. Where did I go wrong in my math?
Appreciate 0