E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Intermittent Break Lamp Malfunction Error

01-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Intermittent Break Lamp Malfunction Error

Lately I've been getting intermittent errors for left and occasionally right brake lamps. It's odd because it typically goes away if I just hit the brakes again.
I've checked all the bulbs and all appears well. I also checked for burnt/melted contacts because I found that was an issue at times when I searched about this. I have read a few people replaced the entire bulb holder piece. I'm out of warranty so looking to fix it myself. At this point it's more of a nuisance than anything.
Others have experience fixing this?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBMWLA View Post
Lately I've been getting intermittent errors for left and occasionally right brake lamps. It's odd because it typically goes away if I just hit the brakes again.
I've checked all the bulbs and all appears well. I also checked for burnt/melted contacts because I found that was an issue at times when I searched about this. I have read a few people replaced the entire bulb holder piece. I'm out of warranty so looking to fix it myself. At this point it's more of a nuisance than anything.
Others have experience fixing this?
Yes. One had a broken filament in the brake light in the trunk lid. It would give me the indicator, and when I pulled the light apart, it was fine (filament touched when I was looking at it).

Eventually it fully broke. Replaced the bulb, and all is well again.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 03:42 AM   #3
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Kept getting intermittant errors on my 09' for rear brake light out. It was always the same bulb on the PS that was out. Each time I checked, removed the bulb, it was OK, put it back in, it worked fine but I still got intermittant errors.

Read on here about the SIB for the rear lamp holders being bad, called the dealer about it - they told me that was only for the 1 series and they never heard of it happening on the 3.

I get tired of arguing with those assholes - so I just bought the new lamp holders from Tischer for $19/ea, swapped them out, never had the problem again...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0