E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Over-reaction or justified? (mini woes)

01-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
jonnydrama
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Over-reaction or justified? (mini woes)

Interested to hear what peoples thoughts are on this, to be sure I'm being OTT.

I ordered a Mini JCW and picked it up the last day in November, the car has a MASSIVE spec (It was a ballhair off £30k) including £2.5k Recaro's, media pack, harmon kardon, chilli pack etc.

The dealership is 125 miles away so I left work on the day they said it was available, just before I left I emailed the salesman to tell him what time I'd be arriving. He emailed back basically confirming he would be expecting me, at this point there was no mention of any issues with the car.

When I arrived, later than I expected to I was told they were just finishing programming the car after fitting the seats. Odd I thought as I was led to believe elsewhere that the 2011 seats didn't need programming but I didn't have any reason to question it.

We got the paperwork underway so that I could get home at a decent time, part way through I was told they had ben locked out of the Sat Nav and they were trying to fix it. In the end they couldn't fix it and they said MINI technical would need to get involved and fix it but I could take the car away and they would collect it again.

As they had my money at this point I didn't have much choice.

When I got in the car to leave I noticed straight away how high the seats were (they have fixed rails with two height levels), at no point was I contacted and asked how I wanted the seats setup. Infact the passenger one was on the low setting and the drivers side high?! I put it down to teething problems though that would be fixed when the car was returned to them.

The next week I got an email to say the car would be picked up and a loan car left. The car went away the first week in December for 3 days, at this point the aftersales manager called me (I've had no dealings with sales since) and said MINI technical could not fix the fault or load on 2011 maps, I would have to wait for 2012 maps to be released. Since then I have pryed and pryed to try and get a date from them as to when this will be fixed. The aftersales manager is totally non-committal, every reply states 'near future.' If I specifically ask for a date or state how dissapointed I am in the situation he calls me (I presume so nothing is documented)

Aswell as this the car has/had multiple dash rattles, one was absolutely awful and would have been obvious on any test drive. This was later fixed at my local dealership and was said to be a common issue when the windscreen seals aren't lubricated.

At the same time they investigated a power loss issue the car has usually when cold, the technician specifically stated on the job card that he could also feel the reduced power. He went through some procedures to reset fault memories and said to keep an eye on it. I've noticed since the problem is STILL there, aswell as dash rattles, squeaking Recaro's and non-working Sat Nav. (It's worth mentioning at this point a guy on one of the MINI websites has a similar power loss issue, his car has been into the dealers 20+ times and it remains unresolved)

I got onto MINI customer service and said in the meantime I should at least get a portable sat nav aswell as a refund for the media pack, which in fairness they agreed to. I was expecting the Nav to be fixed first few weeks of this month, so this may have been ok to cover the inconvienience.

But when parts phoned me for an address to send the Nav to, I enquired when last years maps were released. It wasn't until MARCH!! I can see now why the dealership has never tried to give me a release date.

I'm at the end of my tether now and contacted MINI financial (I have 50-50 on the car) to say I've had enough and want my money back, I'm tired of being fobbed off by the dealer. I don't know if I'll be successful but they are involving Mini quality assurance which can only help the situation.

Just wanted to vent and get some second opinions??
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
jonw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Comp Gran Coupe & X5 MSport

Garage List
If I had that hassle on a new car costing £30k i'd reject it and leave it on their front and speak to a solicitor.
I'm sure they would jump up a bit then and bother their arse a bit more to get the issues sorted.
Mini build quality has a lot to be desired for the amount they charge for the cars.
Good luck !!

Last edited by jonw; 01-20-2012 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
I'd say you have adequate grounds for rejection. Clearly the car isn't currently fit for purpose. MINI has tried to alleviate your inconvenience with a small refund on the media pack, but it sounds like many of the other issues are potentially common to the brand.

We have an older 2004 JCW and it's been great. Shame the latest models don't appear to be as robust as those that have gone before.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
It the worst possible scenario when you have just forked out on a new car. Firstly I'd document everything. Record or write down every word and from which contact it came. Obliviously keep all emails.

The car isn't fit for purpose at the moment and you have given them reasonable chance to fix the problems, which they haven’t managed to do.

Given its low mileage I'd push for a full refund or replacement. If you want to stick with it. Ask for a decent refund and a definite time to reasonably expect it sorted.

If it were me I‘d spend £150 with a solicitor and get a letter sent highlighting your position
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
name and shame the dealer!...and get nasty and legal!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
jonnydrama
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks fella's, wont be naming and shaming just yet. If anyone is interested I'll update what happens now MINI financial are involved.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

I rejected my last car.

It was a 2009 Citroen C5 hdi. It was bought as a used car, 3 months old and 2000 miles on the clock. It was registered to the garage since new and was supposed to be the sales managers car.

I raised the case with consumer direct who then passed the case to trading standards.

After some pressure from them I was offered the full forecourt value back for the Citroen.

As your car is new, obviously you expect all your money back if faults can't be fixed.

What really angered me was although 2 dealers could not rectify the problems Citroen would not really get involved. Your argument is from where you bought it and not the people who made it.

Must be frustrating shelling out that amount of money and not get a reasonable product or aftercare.

Best of luck getting it sorted, refunded or replaced.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
jonnydrama
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
What really angered me was although 2 dealers could not rectify the problems Citroen would not really get involved. Your argument is from where you bought it and not the people who made it.

Same crap from BMW/MINI 'Your contract is with the dealership you bought the car from'

The thing that's pissing me off is they may eventually get the sat nav working (my own best estimation is March), by that time I'll have had the car 3 months.

For that 3 months the whole thing has been putting a bad taste in my mouth.

The power loss issue has been the other thorn in my side. I might put it back into the local dealers in the meantime, it'll only strengthen my case if they can't fix it and this drags on and on.

I really can't see myself buying a new car again, I thought depreciation was the only thing I had to get my head around but I was wrong!!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

If you want / wanted to reject the car I think I would have used the Sat Nav as a rejection point. You should have said you brought the car for the intergrated Nav system and therefore not fit for purpose and rejected. I am not sure if you have softened your case by getting portable system and refund but on reflection this is not what you wanted?

My Mini dash rattles ( a bit) , I honestly think they all do with some being far worse than others.

Good luck and remember if you are not happy deep down go and see the Sales Mananger and Dealer Principle and have a sensible conversation with them. I would clearly understand in my head what a successful outcome looks like, refund, new car a BMW instead, etc. When issues like this arrise this is where a good dealer principle earns his/her money and for example gets head office to get you a new car and an immediate build slot on the line.) Explain why you are rejecting and what will be an acceptable outcome for yourself. Remember one car to them is nothing and they will get compensation centrally from Mini but it's your car and at £30k for a mini it 'must' be right.

Last edited by Gibbo; 01-21-2012 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
jonnydrama
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I haven't actually been given compensation yet, all that has arrived has been the portable Nav earlier this week. Which I'm told is a 'lend' until the factory fit system works, it seemed like a good offer from them when I expected the issue to be fixed within a few weeks rather than months

I just wish I'd asked in the beginning when last years Nav disc was released, rather than listening to the aftersales manager saying 'near future'

Btw Gibbo, how has your JCW been? Do you ever get power loss in 1st/2nd? Usually accompanied by a lumpy idle and an odd 'whirring' noise? I'm starting to think JCW's and me are not meant to be, I had another factory JCW in 2008 which the engine expired on within 14 months/22k miles. I got accused at the time of driving it through floods but now years later I'm seeing that I wasn't the only one with tensioner issues and knackered pistons/valves!!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Accepting compensation might weaken your case.

That might look like an amicable agreement to resolve an issue.

Email consumer direct who will review the case and put you in touch with an advisor from trading standards.

The advisor I had was brilliant. Really good advice and she really pushed the dealer who were forced into a corner.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnydrama View Post
I haven't actually been given compensation yet, all that has arrived has been the portable Nav earlier this week. Which I'm told is a 'lend' until the factory fit system works, it seemed like a good offer from them when I expected the issue to be fixed within a few weeks rather than months

I just wish I'd asked in the beginning when last years Nav disc was released, rather than listening to the aftersales manager saying 'near future'

Btw Gibbo, how has your JCW been? Do you ever get power loss in 1st/2nd? Usually accompanied by a lumpy idle and an odd 'whirring' noise? I'm starting to think JCW's and me are not meant to be, I had another factory JCW in 2008 which the engine expired on within 14 months/22k miles. I got accused at the time of driving it through floods but now years later I'm seeing that I wasn't the only one with tensioner issues and knackered pistons/valves!!
My engine has been fine on the JCW and I have done 7k miles with no problems. My only issues were a rattling door panel (fixed). Squeeky rear brakes (partially fixed) and the dash which I do not want mended as I am concerned they will take it to bits and make it worse.

I think you have to accept the Mini is a different kind of car and compromised vs say your BMW you are used to. I drove a new golf GTD with DSG this afternoon getting out the Mini into the Golf and it felt like a limo in comparsion so I guess it's what is called character which the mini does have in spades. On the right road when you are in the mood it is an amazing machine and can put a big smile on your face.

So it may be as a everyday car the mini is not for you and that is fine. I am enjoying mine, pleased I own it but when it goes in the future I am sure I will buy something bigger and more comfortable.

Last edited by Gibbo; 01-21-2012 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #13
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Poor build quality is exactly that. Certainly not added character.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
jonnydrama
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
My engine has been fine on the JCW and I have done 7k miles with no problems. My only issues were a rattling door panel (fixed). Squeeky rear brakes (partially fixed) and the dash which I do not want mended as I am concerned they will take it to bits and make it worse.

I think you have to accept the Mini is a different kind of car and compromised vs say your BMW you are used to. I drove a new golf GTD with DSG this afternoon getting out the Mini into the Golf and it felt like a limo in comparsion so I guess it's what is called character which the mini does have in spades. On the right road when you are in the mood it is an amazing machine and can put a big smile on your face.

So it may be as a everyday car the mini is not for you and that is fine. I am enjoying mine, pleased I own it but when it goes in the future I am sure I will buy something bigger and more comfortable.
I still own my 335i, the JCW is a second car/work hack.

With regards to Mini's I know/knew what to expect, this is the wife and I's fifth (3 x R53 Cooper S's, 2 x R56 factory JCW's). The last factory JCW we had I never intended to sell as I liked it so much, prior to the engine failing the only trouble I had was window coding

I agree with what you are saying about the right road/mood, it is a very capable car (when it works!!)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #15
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

REJECT IT !. throw a wobbly remind them this is your 6th mini and you know what to expect this is shit
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #16
Baby Dave
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 320d m sport

Reject it. Drive it through the showroom window then explain what a set of c:nts the sales staff are
      01-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #17
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

ITS decided then reject it for £30k it is a joke , I would be kicking off big time ,the seats at two different heights ,Media pack that is about as much use as a chocolate tpot.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #18
jonnydrama
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just small update on this one......

The dealership rejected 'my' rejection because in their mind the car is fit for purpose!

Their argument centred entirely around the Sat Nav issue and that compensation was offered, they didn't mention the other stuff like the power loss.

Mysteriously the £1k compensation arrived in my bank account the week I initiated this, even more mysterious as my letter to BMW Financial specifically stated I didn't want their compensation just my money back.

Since then then car has been back into my local dealer, the first time for a full week. They liased with MINI technical and managed to get the Sat Nav working, it turns out it was a corrupt passkey which locked it out.

Now my local dealers have the same tools/resources available to them as the supplying dealer so I can't imagine how embarrassing it must be for them that they couldn't fix it within a 2.5 month time frame.

In that same week they tried to resolve the cars power loss, there were fault codes stored and Mini suggested replacing the plugs and coils. I took it home for the weekend and the problem was still evident. I took it back in on Tuesday and it has been with them since, the same codes are stored as last time so they are awaiting advice from MINI on how to proceed. This is attempt number 3 and the cars 4th visit to garages within 2.5 months ownership (2 x 5 day visits, 1 x 2 day visit, 1 x 3 day visit)

I have to say my local dealers have been fantastic, the supplying dealers utter sh1t and I doubt I'll own a MINI again.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #19
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Really sorry to hear of your woes OP

I came really close to ordering a Mini Cooper SD recently and have maybe had a lucky escape given your experiences and the numerous comments on build quality.

Hope you get it sorted soon.
      05-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #20
jonnydrama
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well folks another update on this....

Full refund due to arrive with me next week.

After the car spending 2.5 months in the garage due to engine problems (which still aren't resolved) they finally saw things from my perspective.

I'll divulge some more once the cash has actually landed in my hands....
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 02:22 AM   #21
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well folks another update on this....

Full refund due to arrive with me next week.

After the car spending 2.5 months in the garage due to engine problems (which still aren't resolved) they finally saw things from my perspective.

Good for you. What you going to replace it with?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 02:29 AM   #22
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
I'll look forward to reading that,and well done on getting the money back

Appreciate 0