E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Any wax/sealant/sprays suitable for applying in the cold/winter?

01-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
RicheyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [8.34]
Any wax/sealant/sprays suitable for applying in the cold/winter?

I plan on doing a full wash on my car and using something to protect it at the end of my wash. However, couple of people I have talked to told me most wax and sealants work in warmer temperatures and not sure about applying it in colder weather. So what should I do? Initially wanted to use blackfire wet diamond sealant but heard it wasn't best to use it in the cold. Are there any spray on wax or sealant where I can mist it around real quick for my type of situation?

Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

How cold is 'cold'?

These are the temperatures and conditions that are relative to the application of car care products; the most important is the actual surface temperature of the vehicle.

• Surface Temperature - (actual surface temperature of the vehicle) between 50 (10.oC) and 80.oF (26.oC) products will work well within a much broader temperature range, i.e. 45. °F to 90.° F (4.5-32.oC) but at 45 degrees it will take much longer to dry, perhaps as much as two to three hours) but the best results will be achieved in the 60° to 70° F (15-21.oC) range.

• Dew point – or saturation temperature; this is the temperature to which a given parcel of humid air must be cooled, at constant barometric pressure, for water vapour to condense into water. A high relative humidity indicates that the dew point is closer to the current air temperature. Relative humidity of 100% indicates the dew point is equal to the current temperature and the air is maximally saturated with water. As the temperature approaches 100% humidity it will have a negative effect on the way products cross-link (coatings, polymers, etc) and detailing products dry (wax, dressings, etc)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
RicheyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [8.34]
I would say mid 30s to mid 40s.

Do you think it's okay to just probably do a wash in the winter and forget about the sealant and wax for now? Would I damage my car if i don't apply those one for the time being? I guess I could always wait to do it in the spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
How cold is 'cold'?

These are the temperatures and conditions that are relative to the application of car care products; the most important is the actual surface temperature of the vehicle.

• Surface Temperature - (actual surface temperature of the vehicle) between 50 (10.oC) and 80.oF (26.oC) products will work well within a much broader temperature range, i.e. 45. °F to 90.° F (4.5-32.oC) but at 45 degrees it will take much longer to dry, perhaps as much as two to three hours) but the best results will be achieved in the 60° to 70° F (15-21.oC) range.

• Dew point – or saturation temperature; this is the temperature to which a given parcel of humid air must be cooled, at constant barometric pressure, for water vapour to condense into water. A high relative humidity indicates that the dew point is closer to the current air temperature. Relative humidity of 100% indicates the dew point is equal to the current temperature and the air is maximally saturated with water. As the temperature approaches 100% humidity it will have a negative effect on the way products cross-link (coatings, polymers, etc) and detailing products dry (wax, dressings, etc)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

do it. just leave it on longer so it has more time to bond. As in, wash, clay polish, lay on sealant, go eat dinner, go to sleep, wake up in the morning and remove it....if you have a garage that is...a space heather will work to keep the temps in the garage warmer, but dont put it on or right next to the car obviously.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
Donny Rino
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Do do juice tropical mist goes on and comes off Awsome in 38 degree weather
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #6
RicheyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [8.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Rino View Post
Do do juice tropical mist goes on and comes off Awsome in 38 degree weather
Thanks I appreciate it. That was exactly what I was looking at too. It was either that the dodo juice red mist tropical or the CG hybird v7.

Does the dodo red mist need time to dry? or is it a quick spray and wipe off immediately? Can it be used as a temporary stand alone sealant for protection on bare paint with no prior wax or seal underneath on the paint already? I was planning to use it for temporary protection for now in the winter until spring comes along and i'll apply a real sealant like BFWD. But hopefully red mist can provide some little protection for now right after a basic wash.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 04:18 AM   #7
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Optimum Car Wash is designed to clean the toughest automotive grime while maximizing protection; the foaming lather traps dirt and grime and rinses with cold water leaving a smooth, clean, protected surface behind.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

RMT is wipe on and allow it to even out. There is no removal. Because it's solvent based, it'll be a big easier to apply in the cold (though lower temp's mean it takes longer to be applied) than something water-based.
I'd highly recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
Donny Rino
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I Have used both chemical guys v7 and dodo juice same day same car, dodo juice goes on so smooth and easy while cg's is almost tacky going on the paint. Both bought through detailed image .... Very happy with there pricing and service.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
RicheyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [8.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Rino View Post
I Have used both chemical guys v7 and dodo juice same day same car, dodo juice goes on so smooth and easy while cg's is almost tacky going on the paint. Both bought through detailed image .... Very happy with there pricing and service.
Would you say dodo juice red mist tropical is better than the v7?
Appreciate 0