E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Tips for cleaning heated steering wheel.

01-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
whiteout007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 328xi coupe

Tips for cleaning heated steering wheel.

Steering wheel feels greasy and i want to clean it. however i want to be careful not to ruin the heating element in the wheel. Any tips how to safely clean it?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Steering wheels have an extra coating of protective finish on the already finished or coated leather. Perspiration and dirt are absorbed readily into the dry leather, and combined with the ultra violet (UV-B) radiation of the sun a chemical reaction occurs that degrades the finished leather. All of us have seen this wear on steering wheels

Using leather oil-based conditioners on finished leather may cause delamination from the leather substrate. As the oils will permeate the leather via the stitching or any micro-cracks in the surface, once oil gets between the urethane and the substrate it causes loss of adhesion (See also Oil and Oil based Products)

Most manufacturer’s advice against using oil-based conditioners on steering wheels as it makes the surface slippery and could be dangerous if you lose control of the vehicles steering
1. Clean the wheel’s leather surface with a leather cleaner (Leather Masters™ Strong Effect Cleaner ) or a Limonen (citrus) based de-greaser (P21S Total Auto Wash) diluted 5:1 with warm distilled water in a spray bottle; dependant upon type and extent of soil or stain
2. For oil or grease stains use Leather Masters™ Leather Degreaser (check for colour fastness) this aerosol product is ideal for cleaning this type of stain as it dissolves the oils and transforms them into a powder that is more absorbent than the leather.
This powder is what is wiped off, cleaning and degreasing the leather. Allow the white powder to dry fully. If the powder is drying to a yellow colour, it means that there are still a lot of oils in the leather.

Using a Medium / hard horse hair brush, or a soft sponge, spray and work the cleaner into a foam, lightly scrub surface and immediately wipe with a terry towel to remove excess moisture, especially around stitching (you may need to repeat this process).
3. Then use a compressed air nozzle to dry
4. Once wheel is thoroughly dry apply Leather Masters™ Leather Protection
Do not use an abrasive on the surface as you’ll remove the ultra violet protective topcoat

Maintenance – hydrate the leather surface with a damp 100% cotton towel, occasionally use a diluted 1:10 degreaser (Leather Masters™ Leather Degreaser ) solution and distilled water to remove any build-up of body oils from your hands
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
whiteout007
Private First Class
Rep

Thumbs up

wow thanks for all the info! i really appreciate the time you took to teach me something. I will follow your recommendations
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Each one;teach one
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
whiteout007
Private First Class
Rep

In this step what should the towel be damp with?

Maintenance – hydrate the leather surface with a damp 100% cotton towel
Appreciate 0