E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Can't vent in cold air from outside. ???

01-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
rev29k
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Silverstone over Black

Can't vent in cold air from outside. ???

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. Ever since we have owned our E90 '06 (bought new) I have always been perplexed by the inability to just blow/vent cold air from the outside (A/C is off). In other words, it's warm inside the car but it's 50 deg outside, so why use the A/C when you can just vent in the cold air from outside. I've always been able to do this in every car I've ever been in (Japanese, domestics, etc.). This is my first German car, so is this just a German thing? I turn both temps fully down and turn of recirculate, but it always seems to blow warm, even if only slightly warm. I even made sure to turn that little fine temp adjustment by the front vents to cold, but still no go. What have I been doing wrong?

TIA guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Well, the best you can do is (as you said already): turn off A/C, disable recirculation and turn the temperature setting as low it will let you.

The lowest temp setting in my car is 16 deg Celsius. 50 deg Fahrenheit is 10 deg Celsius, which means that the car will still warm up the air from 10 deg to 16 deg. There's no way to disable it, AFAIK.

If you want raw air from outside - open the windows. Apparently, there's no other way.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Yeah I have noticed this to .

Its much hotter than the outside temperature with the controls set to minimum and the vents open. If you close the rear seat vents and passenger vents (rear vents and right front vents) you can increase the air flow to the drivers seat though.
This is the first basically black interior(seats are brown) I have had but the e46 seemed to do a little better.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

OP check the center dial on the dash. It goes left to right between blue and red. It adjusts the air regardless of your dial settings. (up by the hazard button)

Say dial was on 60 on both sides, dial on red will let out air at say 75. Not sure the exact amount but turn it to blue!!!

See if that helps
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
rev29k
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Silverstone over Black

The dial next to the hazards is the fine tuning dial I mentioned earlier. I have definitely checked to make sure that it is set to blue as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev29k View Post
The dial next to the hazards is the fine tuning dial I mentioned earlier. I have definitely checked to make sure that it is set to blue as well.
Not sure if youve ever looked and seen where the cabin filter is but where is sucks from and goes into the blower may suck in some hot air from engine bay, but I doubt its enough to change the outside air by much.

Out of ideas. Maybe they just dont allow fresh air to come straight in?
Appreciate 0