E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > film all over after waxing

01-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
film all over after waxing

i just finished waxing and there is a film left behind. the car is black and i think this the first time ive waxed it. i am using meguiars ultimate, which i have used on my previous cars. it left a horrible film on the whole car, im thinking i my have used a pad that had polish on it cause for the life of me i could not remove polish completely. or maybe it was chilly outside and the wax wasnt dry completely. if it was the polish what would anyone recommend. if it was the temp it should be dry tomorrow and i can just wipe it off.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
Miami
these cars become an addiction :/
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 328i

sounds like you applied too much??
9-tenths of a second is a hell of a lot of time!!! That's walking all over the AMG. In fact, not only is that walking all over it, that's finishing, jumping out of the car, shitting in your own hand and throwing it at the AMG as it drives by to finish its lap.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #3
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

sounds like hazing...wait til tomorrow and wipe the rest off. if you still have too much, try spritzing the panel with either distilled water (better option) or glass clearner (high ratio) to remove the excess with fast side to side wipes. That sometimes works, but keep in mind, the glass cleaner will breakdown the sealant a bit, so you might want to re-apply sooner

or wait til next time you wash it and it will wash off
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 01:39 AM   #4
brocklanders
Major
Rep

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami View Post
sounds like you applied too much??
i have waxed many cars
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #5
brocklanders
Major
Rep

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
sounds like hazing...wait til tomorrow and wipe the rest off. if you still have too much, try spritzing the panel with either distilled water (better option) or glass clearner (high ratio) to remove the excess with fast side to side wipes. That sometimes works, but keep in mind, the glass cleaner will breakdown the sealant a bit, so you might want to re-apply sooner

or wait til next time you wash it and it will wash off
i took the car out tonight and i think its polish, so tomorrow when i wake up i will use quick detailer to clean it up.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
2011328xi
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Xdrive

It's the product you used. Don't get me wrong, I like some of Meguiar's products but that Meguiar's Ultimate OTC stuff is not that great and black shows it. Try some of the better known sealants or waxes (depending on what you're looking for) you see people use here and remember to prep the surface properly. I'm not trying to insult you but just because you have "waxed" many cars doesn't mean you really know what you're are doing. Read as much as you can and take advice from some of the pros.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
i took the car out tonight and i think its polish, so tomorrow when i wake up i will use quick detailer to clean it up.
if its polish, you barely have any wax on the car (assuming you combined wax to a polish used pad and essentially have a AIO in a sense), so what I would do is a thorough IPA wipedown and then rewax the car with a different or washed pad.

Good luck
Appreciate 0