BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Help with Grad school and everything about it

12-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Precision
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW 330CI

Help with Grad school and everything about it

Im on the boarder of acedemic senior level of undergrad. My major is parks and rec tourism which focuses on sustainable energy and site management etc, a lot of outdoorsy stuff. I don't like it and I'm too deep in it to get out. My GPA isn't the strongest at just under a 3.0 but that's mainly because I haven't applied myself due to so many things going on in my life that make it tough to focus.

I am looking to go to grad school to get ahead of the game, I'm very bright and resourceful with a good thinking mind which leads me to believe id do well in business but I'm not closed to only that idea. I have experience in the military, with two occupational specialties when I was in.

I wanted to know how you all chose what you chose to pursue for grad school and how you decided where to go. What was the process in getting in and who to contact? I do not have any financial resources outside of financial aid, no co signers, no savings which puts getting a GA essential.

My counselors here aren't much help so I figured I'd ask some professionals here.
      12-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
What was your MOS/Rate and branch?

Look into a Project Management Professional certification (PMP)

many colleges out there offer a MBA program with focus on project management.

It may complement your degree in parks and rec tourism.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Precision
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
What was your MOS/Rate and branch?

Look into a Project Management Professional certification (PMP)

many colleges out there offer a MBA program with focus on project management.

It may complement your degree in parks and rec tourism.
I just checked that out it requires 4,500 hours and or 3 years project management experience. I don't think I want to do anything with my major and I'd rather not make money in something I can't stand.
      12-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

I hate to ask the obvious, but the first thing you need to figure out is what you DO like to do (or alternatively, what you'd be willing to tolerate for a bigger paycheck).
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
I hate to ask the obvious, but the first thing you need to figure out is what you DO like to do (or alternatively, what you'd be willing to tolerate for a bigger paycheck).
+1. Figure out a much more specific direction. There is no point in going to grad school if you don't really know how you're going to apply it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
1) Don't misspell "border" and "academic" on your application.

2) Figure out what you want to do and start researching what schools offer that program. Narrow down the list of schools you'd want to go to and visit their websites. Almost every school will list what the requirements are to get in. Once you've done this, study your ass off and take the GRE/GMAT (depending on the program) and get a really high score. If I'm honest, most places won't look at you with a GPA that's under a 3.0 unless you ace the GRE/GMAT. Even then it will be very difficult. Most have a minimum requirement of 3.0. As far as your hopes of a GA, that's also not likely. There might only be 10 to 20 GA spots depending on the size of the program and those will go to the candidates with the highest GPA's and test scores.

Also, if you are going into a completely unrelated field like Business, you'll probably have to complete a bunch of pre-reqs just to get in.
      12-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
Fatty Duckets
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Considering your GPA is slightly below average, it will be challenging to enroll in a program of your choice. What you can do if there is a certain school you'd like to attend, is to enroll as a non-matriculated student. In other words, you can take up to a certain amount of courses/time (normally like up to 12 credits) that can count towards your degree, but you will not be "enrolled" in the actual program. Specifically, you would be a certificate student until you prove yourself in the program (maintaining a solid GPA), and at that point, you can matriculate. So, do not be discouraged with your current GPA.
Appreciate 0