E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Proper technique for scratch X and paint correction?

11-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i 6MT

Proper technique for scratch X and paint correction?

First off, just wanted to give a huge thanks for those who have provided to the wealth of knowledge available on the forum! With the help of the many posts and some guidance from detailed image, I completed my first detail (funny how my definition of car detailing has changed) on my newly purchased E92. A full wash, clay, paint correction and sealant really had dramatic results.

Now its time for my GF\'s titanium silver E90. There are some scratches on the doors that I don\'t believe will be remedied with paint correction. I purchased scratch X 2.0 and have heard great things about it, if you use the proper technique. I plan on giving her car a full detail with paint correction, but at what point should I apply the scratch X?
I can work out two different scenarios (i) do the scratch x after clay bar and before correction with the anticipation that the compounds would help even out the scratch x Application (ii) apply the scratch x after polishing but before sealing the paint.

For background I plan on doing the following.
Wash and clay
PC with orange pad for menzerna SI 1500
PC with white pad for menzerna SF 4000
PC with blue pad for menzerna power lock.

Would love to hear your thoughts and feedback!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

Personally, I'd skip the scratchX and just do the correction work, maybe hitting the scratches a couple times with the machine with sf1500. Its stronger and you dont have to do it by hand!

otherwise, process looks good. Just make sure to IPA wipedown or prime with chemical guys ezcream glaze or dodo juice prime light before the powerlock for a better bond to the paint
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i 6MT

I'll give that a shot and see how it goes!! Also, i do have Meguirs M105, from what i can work out, i believe that it provides a stronger level of correction over the menzerna. Would you recommend i start off with the M105 vice SI 1500?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

yes, the 105 has a lot more cut than SI1500, try it with SI1500 (SIP) first, and if you dont get the results you are looking for, switch up to 105
Appreciate 0